MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Remington 721

Boolit Master
    check the bedding. the stock could be riding the barrel at some point. these guns shoot with a floated barrel. I don't recall one that wouldn't shoot an inch group with proper bedding. also check the crown. if the end of the barrel is worn shiney it could have been carried muzzle down in a truck.

Boolit Buddy

$200 is a good price! If the throat is not shot out. My friends dad's 300 h&h wood stock cracked right at the arch. He could fix it and have a professional gunsmith put a pin and maybe glue thru the arch. That is common in the 721's.

Boolit Master

I would have bought in a heart beat , have the 721 in 270 and in 30-06 and gave my teen age daughter the 722 in 300 savage , her choice over a newer 700 in 30-06 , I still use my 721 in 270 as my hunting rifle , an excellent price as was said just for the action alone

Boolit Buddy
    i have a 721 in 270wcf, another in 300 H&H, and a 722 in 222. they all shoot excellent. i would really like to stumble upon a 721 in 264 win mag.

Boolit Master

Rem. 721

The first rifle I bought was a Remington 721 in .280 cal. As I recall the price was around ninty bucks out the door. I think it was in 1960. I could have bought a model 70 Winchester for one twenty five. While the gun shot very well, I never liked the 721. The safety was near impossible to work and the rifle just looked cheap and cheezy. The action was a piece of threaded tubing and the recoil lug was a washer held on by the barrel. The extracter was a stamping pressed into the front of the bolt. It had a stamped trigger guard. I had the stock replaced with a nice looking piece of walnut but it didn't help. I know the Remington 700 series of rifles shoot very well but I don't care. If you want a highly seviceable tool for hunting then the 721 should serve you well and last three forevers. I don't hunt so pride of ownership means more to me. I like milled steel forgings and dark walnut. I sold the 721 and I have never had the slightest regret for doing so. I do regret not buying the model 70 for 125..
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Quote Originally Posted by 13Echo View Post
    It is amazing what a little bit of good checkering does to dress up a rifle.
    Jerry Liles

I disagree

I find checkering really takes away from the beautiful lines of a rifle

there is Art in the flowing lines

checkering a rifle is like putting ketchup on a medium rare RibEye Steak
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Boolit Master

Just thought I'd mention that I took it out again today. I borrowed a Leupold scope from one of my other rifles for it just to make sure that wasn't the issue, and a box of carefully loaded 155 Nosler J4's.

I was only able to shoot it at 50 yards, and I only shot 5 rounds, but that 5-shot group measured .61" center to center. 4 of the 5 went into one ragged hole. I think it has potential for good accuracy.

- you got a keeper I'd say

California. Where absurdity reigns and confusion makes it look good.
    Fatelk,
    Glad to hear that you got out to shoot your 721 and that you were pleased. Years ago I bought a 721 from a missionary to Alaska. It was a 300H&H and it was a honey. It was roughed up a bit from riding around in airplanes but all he wanted was $225 and the knowledge that it was going to a good home. It shot better than I could consistantly hold it. I loaned it to my brother's son-in-law when he moved to Colorado and talked about elk hunting. Haven't seen it since. The boy is a great fellow and it was nice to be able to pass a great gun on to the next generation. I hope you can do the same with yours someday.

Boolit Buddy
    Saw a 721 30-06 at my local gun pusher today. $525 and the theif won't budge on the price.

Boolit Man
    I found this immaculate 721 in .270 Win on GB recently for $350. It was an estate sale rifle, and must have been the previous owner's safe queen. It has a Williams peep sight on it, and I replaced the front sight with a Williams FireSight front bead. It has a near perfect stock, shiny bore, and was manufactured in May 1948 which is the first year of production.

Last edited by Worn_Holster; 10-03-2012 at 01:00 PM.

In Remembrance

Just a casual observation I noticed on this thread. Almost all the writers that said they had a Rem. Model 722 rifle said it was in .300 Savage caliber. They made fewer of this cal. in this model than the other cals., yet these rifles are worth a lesser amount than the other cals. offered in the 722. Boyds makes a nice stock for either model 721 or 722 and have recoil pads already installed.Robert

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by nanuk View Post
    I disagree

I find checkering really takes away from the beautiful lines of a rifle

there is Art in the flowing lines

checkering a rifle is like putting ketchup on a medium rare RibEye Steak

Really depends on the rifle. I like the Fleur De Lis checkering on the model 70's, but I do enjoy my old enfield sporter in 06 and it has a slick stock.

As far as the steak comment, I am the WORLDS WORST about staring at people who do that to steaks I cook. Even my wife and kids dont put anything on my steaks. They just taste too good to ruin.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Bub
    I have a 721 .30-06 and a 722 .222 and they were both built in the early 1950's. the -06 is one my daddy bought the day I was born back in 1951, it has shot innumberable rounds and will still put them all in one hole. The .222 is also a tack driver. The Remington 700 is nothing more than the 721, 722, 725 that the "prettied up."

Boolit Master
    I just bought a 721 .30-06 off of GB. The stock looks like it could be refinished and had a kind of beat up looking pad. Which of the Boyds stocks fit the 721? The 700 BDL?

Thanks, Doc

I know this is weird , but I was just given a .270w 721 , for checking out a friends dad's collection of old firearms ( the dad passed ). The old man had money , but liked Remingtons .I had no desire for a .270 , but since it was his main hunting rifle , that is what I picked out of the bunch , as opposed to a good grade model 12 or a Model 8 in 30remington ( could not figure out the age due to lack of date indicators ) bluing perfect . I wanted a savage 308 , set up my way , but all the sudden this rifle has gotten my fantasy . It has a lymans peep on it , but want to change that to Ziesse glass ( yeah , perhaps the glass is worth more than the rifle ) . The rifle was made in june of 1950 . older than me by a lot of years . All the sudden the reloading station will have a .270 w on it , should be a coyote slaying machine . I think that the rifle is rather crude in some ways , but classic in others . I have not decided whether to send back to Remington for a bolt upgrade , not sure that it is worth it , but I do know that I have connected with this rifle . I appreciate Larry Gibson for giving me more information on what I need to cast for the gun . I thought of putting a forgrip cap on it , but the old man did not need it and I probably do not either .... But I do plan to slay him a huge MO/IA deer to make his spirit that his gun met its marks . I Have more than a handful of rifles , but this one really hits me ... funny as so many or my guns are worth more .
    God bless America

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234