Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
WidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .308 or .338 Lapua

Quote Originally Posted by scb View Post

338 Edge and 308 Win.

With this new Accurate mould:

and $5.00/ lb WC872 powder, I think I'll be able to shoot the Edge pretty cheaply.
    And yea they're made from 300 ultra mag brass (not 338) .
    Where do you those moulds?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DUKE NUKEM View Post
    Where do you those moulds?
    Where do you (get?) those moulds?

http://www.accuratemolds.com/

http://www.accuratemolds.com/catalog.php?page=2

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=34-310A-D.png
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

I was going to say .308 just cuz you could afford to shoot it enough to actually be able to hit something at 1000 yards. The .338 Lapua is just too expensive.

BUT,,, that .338 Edge looks pretty appealing especially with the Accurate cast boolit mould. I doubt that BT Sniper has over $6-700 in that rifle without the scope especially if the gun was .338 win mag to begin with. Thus only needing a rechamber. Kind of a poormans Lapua.

You will need a $1000 + scope in order to see well enough to hit anything at the distances you could cover with this gun.

If you shot mostly cast with the surplus powder, and only used hi-dollar bullets when it really mattered you could shoot just as cheaply as My .308 with recycled bullets and IMR4895. Also you would not be wearing out the barrel as with Jbullets. The barrel in a .338 Lapua rifle is good for about 1000-maybe 1500 rounds and then it's toast. CAst boolits would extend this number to indefinate.

The cast boolit will still go 1000 yards, they just take longer to get there. With the one zero on the gun there would just be holdovers and windage to calculate, and I'm sure you'll have a PDA in the mix by this time anyway so this is non issue. You just recalc with the new BC of the boolit and FPS and it tells you the holdovers for all ranges. You don't even change the scope.

I have been studying the Magpul "Art of the Precision Rifle" course that my Bro in law gave me. And once you are educated and have the right equipment 1000 yards is pretty easy. In the second disc IE: 2 of 5 They were hitting targets at 1225 yards with a .308 consistantly and later a hit on one at 1750 ish still with a .308. 3 of 4 students had .308's, one had a .300Win Mag. Nobody was at a disadvantage. You could see the bullet traces thru the mirage and the shots looked like big giant curveballs from a major league pitcher. Pretty cool stuff!!!

I highly recommend you looking into getting a copy of the Magpul course. The guy who does the course is Todd Hobnett and I saw him on a sniper show on the Military Channel last night he was training military sniper instructors. It is 10 hours long and on 5 CD's. You add this course to the right equipment and nobody is safe.

This guy talks alot and talks super technical alot more, and he doesn't stutter or hum haw one bit. IE he knows exactly what he is talking about !!! I don't impress easily when it comes to technical babbling, and I assure you when somebody knows his stuff, it shows up in his plain explainations of every answer to every question, without hesitation to consider his words. This guy is such an instructor. His school is in West Texas. He is "that good"

I would not volunteer to be shot at by these guys!

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 04-21-2012 at 06:36 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master
    To throw another wrench in to your decision making brain cells, the 6.5-06. Just a little more than the 6.5 Swede.

Boolit Buddy
    Someone previously mentioned a Palma Rifle.The longer barrel of the palma rifle makes a diference in staying sonic at 1,000 yds. What ever you choose keep a l o n g barrel in mind.
    Something to think about.

Boolit Buddy
    Check out http://www.youtube.com/user/mag30th

Dont discount surplus guns and the cartridges equivalent to .308 power... I mean, this thread IS in the "Military Rifles" section.

muzzleblast recoil and cost of the lapua are high. unless you are able to shoot it a whole bunch getting 1000yd accy would be difficult. 300 winmag would suit your needs quite well without the overkill. if you just want a big boomer not many people have go for it.
    It don't make much sense that commonsense don't make no sense nomore

If you died today would you have lived your life or have you simply existed

Banned - Posts Deleted Because He Edited Them With Vulgarity When He Could Not Get His Way
    The OP ALREADY HAS a 7mm Rem Mag, so the 308 would be a step backwards, IMO. Shoot as is or rechamber to 7mmSTW.

Already mentioned, the 300WinMag would be a good choice as would a 30/338 308 Norma Mag. I've seen some pretty amazing groups shot by a Rem 700 Sendero in 300 WhbyMag.

The more the thump from the front, the more that is going to be felt on the rear. Muzzle brakes are a big help, but so is lots of weight.

Personally, I dislike heavy hunting rifles. My heaviest is a 700BDL 7mm RemMag with Leupold 3.5-10x, but then again I'm not trying to shoot across canyons like is often done in the west or even northern Pa. I think my 700VS .308 too heavy to carry around.

Ridgway Rifle Club in NW Pa has a 500m silhouette range AND they shoot the long range benchrest varmint game. Rails at 850-1000 yards have crows, groundhogs, bobcats and coyotes respectively. A couple of us have knocked the coyotes off the rails with cast boolits from 30-06s.

and $5.00/ lb WC872 powder
    Where would one find this powder?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DUKE NUKEM View Post
    Where would one find this powder?
    From a purchase 7-8 years ago. (sorry)

Still not too bad today tho.
    http://www.gibrass.com/gunpowder.html

Last edited by scb; 05-02-2012 at 07:22 PM.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by scb View Post
    From a purchase 7-8 years ago. (sorry)

Still not too bad today tho.
    http://www.gibrass.com/gunpowder.html

I believe he passed and his wife runs that now if my memory is correct. Real nice lady too.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123