Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataWideners
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: Looking for advice on this Boolit

Boolit Mold

Looking for advice on this Boolit

Hi all,
    I'm a newbie (first post). Just wondering if any of you have some experience with the Lyman/Ideal 311413 gas check Boolit. I recently got two single cav. moulds at good price. I have been using 311291 with great sucess over 16 grs. of unique in my O3A3 with Dacron filler. That Boolit also works great in a 7.65 Argentine Mauser over 13 grs. Unique. My "mix" is made from lyman ingots and it goes like this: 36 of wheelweights, 10 raw lead, 3 tin.

Boolit Master
    I've been useing that boolit for a while because I got a mold also for a good price. Any load that shoots the 291 would be a good place to start,the 413 boolit feeds very well in every mil surp I've shot it in. Pat

Boolit Master

Will be trying (first time) 311291s in my K31 tomorrow. Will post results sometime over the weekend.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

Hokay...

Made it to the range yesterday afternoon and shot the K31 at 50 and 100 yards...too muddy to wade out and set targets to the 200-yard berm. Temp in high 50s with winds 15 gusting to 25 from almost straight behind the firing line. Firing was done in (2) 27-round series (2) "fouling shots" followed by (25) "record" rounds for each bullet. Bore was "field-cleaned" with bore-brush and G.I. bore-cleaner followed by a couple of dry patches between series.

While I've cast (and shot) a lot of handgun boolits, this was my first try at casting/loading for a bottleneck smokeless round. Results look pretty decent (IMO) for a "first attempt".

Lyman 311291:

Weight: 173.0 gr (50/50 WW & Linotype Alloy)
    Sized .309 w/Hornaday GC
    Tamarack Lube (alox-base)
    23.0 gr IMR 4227 w/dacron filler wad
    Federal 155 Lg Pistol (Mag) Primers
    OAL: 2.670" (Cases formed from W-W .284 Win.)

Lyman 311413:

Weight: 170.5 gr (50/50 WW & Linotype Alloy)
    Sized .309 w/Hornaday GC
    Tamarack Lube (alox-base)
    23.0 gr IMR 4227 w/dacron filler wad
    Federal 155 Lg Pistol (Mag) Primers
    OAL: 2.790" (Cases formed from W-W .284 Win.)

Of (3) 5-shot groups at 50 yards; best was .92" center-to-center, worst 1.13". Fired (2) 5-shot groups at 100 yards; first ran 2.25" and the second 2.52".

Due to winds (tripod kept blowing over), didn't get any chrono figures but both loads shoot to place...about 2 1/2" above POA at 50 yards and, maybe, an inch higher at 100 (using the rifle's 100M sight setting). Bore showed no visible leading after either 25-round series.

Hope this helps you out.

Bill
    Last edited by Kraschenbirn; 03-10-2007 at 05:46 PM. Reason: typo error
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

311413 loads

This was my first mould, used in a .30-'06 Springfield which I had a target barrel put on. I found that loads had to be moderate, that if I worked up the powder charge a bit too high accuracy went south quickly.
    I started at 16.0 gr. 4227 and worked up to 21.0 gr. with this and a similar bullet called 311375; settled on 16.5 gr (no filler). Unique gave me accuracy at 10 gr., but I didn't work it up higher. I those days in the dim past we had wheel weights that were harder and more brittle than today, and the range scrap was .22 and .38WC adn a good deal softer than today's hard-cast bullets. However, a 50-50 mix of the two then was probably about the same as a mix of the two today, which is what I use.
    The 50-50 WW-Lino mix is definitely harder. Recovered bullets showed that inaccurate loads had rifling longer on one side of the bullet than on the other, meaning to me that I had exceeded the strength of the bullet material and it had slumped on that long unsupported nose 311413 has, or got jammed crosswise into the rifling somehow.

Super Moderator

...............That Lyman 311413 is a tough boolit to shoot real well without having all your I's and T's taken care of. If that was your first attempt with a BN rifle then you are well on your way. Both the 50 and 100 yard groups are in line with what would be good useable accuracy and would be what you should expect with iron sights and not a lot of time spent scaling, etc.

For me personally knowing my eyes and the general run of sights on my rifles (mostley issue) and triggers (issue) and how I load my general ammo (thrown charges, inspected boolits) 1.5" does me at 50 and 2.5 to 3" at 100 works so long as the groups are groups.

...............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance