Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: 22 Voere Carbine

22 Voere Carbine

This is my third carbine project. After shrtening a rifle for a mate then doing a carbine for a nine year old I just had to have one so I shortened my Voere with a missing magazine. This will be a single shot for reasons of getting in and out of a car while bunny hunting, requiring an unloaded gun.

The barrel is longer than it looks.

You can see how much barrel fits inside the suppressor.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Nearly brought tears to my eyes Pete. My very first rifle was a 'Wischo' which was a deluxe Voere just like that but with checkering. That rifle taught me a LOT.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Bagged a bunny and a rat

Well, the little rifle has done well. It shoots accurately and is super quiet. I bagged my first bunny with it tonight. It's a real pleasure to shoot with and has a good trigger. The scope cross-hairs could be a lot finer but I'll live with them.

We can't have suppressors here in Iowa. But I had one made for the Sheriff's Office for animal control in town. It's a Ruger 10-22 had the barrel shortened and a can but on. It seems like the first shot is louder than the following shots. The company that built it for us said the first rnd. fills the can with gas causing it to be quieter. Is that true?? It's a rough looker.
    "Some times it's just better to smile an walk away."

"Think ya used enough dynamite there, Butch?"
    -Butch Cassidy & the Sun-dance Kid

Here's a picture for what we use it for it's mostly one shot and that's the one that needs to be quiet.
    Thanks

Boolit Master
    Very nice, I too have one of those rifles, I got mine in South Australia and it come with threaded silencer which were legal in that state. When I come to Queensland, silencer had to be destoyed and thread removed from barrel. I Imagin you use subsonic ammo.

Yea I bought some Remington subsonic. Sounds like a strong air-gun going off. One of the reasons I had the barrel shortened was hoping it would help keep the FPS down. But regular HV still goes sonic. Fun to run the plate rack with.

Boolit Master
    There is talk of legalising silencers again, but it will probably never get past the talk stage. It seems the powers that be will never understand, the very people who would use these things for evil purposes will do so anyway. I can remember sitting under a tree and knocking off 10 to 20 crows in a session, at 50cents a head bounty it kept me in ammo and new guns.

Boolit Master
    Somewhere around here I may still have a field test of a French integrally silenced .22 rifle.
    This particular rifle had a full length can with external profile and diameter that looked like a regular barrel. The rifled stub barrel inside was about 12 inches long IIRC, so just about any standard .22 Long Rifle RF would be subsonic.

In the accompanying article it said that at that time it was illegal in some european countries for Urban dwellers to own a .22 rifle unless they also owned a silencer.

Another real beauty was a Colt woodsman in a cased set including factory made silencer. The pistol was a gift to a CEO and had full factory engraving with Gold and Platinum inlays, Finest set of staghorn grips I can remember seeing as well.

I'm enough of a tinkerer that I found out half a century back that its pretty darn easy to muffle a gunshot without using a purpose made silencer.
    Those experiments were done in international waters, and so long ago that any statute of limitations long ago ran out of course.

Funny thing I found though. Sometimes if you fire a perfectly silenced Ruger .22 in close proximity to a half full fuel oil storage tank, the sound waves that you can't hear from the pistol can echo back with the frequency shifted to be almost as loud as an un suppressed shot.
    The sound was like someone had rapped the tank with a 2X4.
    Could be a fluke, but worth keeping in mind. One should test fire in an enclosed space or near objects that reflect sound to find out if this effect is likely to occur with your own equipment.

PS
    Suppressors are legal, it just costs time and paperwork as well as hefty fees to own one.

I don't see why they shouldn't allow a minimally effective suppressor that reduces the report to non hearing damage levels. Still audible but not so sharp.

Britain allows civilian ownership of small gauge shotguns with integral silencers. These are generally .410 or 28 gauge but some are 20 gauge.
    Horse breeders use these to eliminate varmints without spooking the horses.
    Theres a rather nice Marlin Lever Action .410 exported to the UK for this purpose.

Federal law allows suppressors but Iowa State law prohibits. A few gun groups are trying to work on it at the capital but I don't know how far we'll get. I'm a board member on the Iowa Firearms Coalition. It would be nice as populated as eastern Iowa is getting.

It seems strange that the first shot should be lowder. The suppressor is filled with air to start off with. I've not noticed this effect with any suppressor. Maybe they just got the resonance wrong and air makes it resonate more.

I made my baffles very close fitting with a clearance of .2mm! It was a mission getting the barrel threads accurate enough. I don't think there is any gain by going that close.

What I did notice is that my Voere was inconsistent with the odd shot stinging my ears. That's when I realized the noise was coming from the chamber due to gas leak around the case. A change of ammo cured that. It was Remington sub-sonic that was doing that. I had notice what appeared to be an inconsistent velocity and some inexplicable misses on clear shots on rabbit.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 01-24-2012 at 04:47 PM.

Boolit Master
    All the factory silencers I have ever seen had about 6 to 8 pressed metal cups in them which put the space between them at around 3 to 4 mmm. I know when you pulled them apart to clean, you had to use a rod to ensure they remained aligned, or accuracy was poor. The best I ever saw was made from a length of curtain rod,and used tin plate spacers between leather washers, totaly silent and good accuracy. I sometimes think we tend to over build things. but Im now too old to dabble in what the law considers illegal.