Load DataInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2Lee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What perfume do you wear? Chanel #5 or Hoppes #9?

What perfume do you wear? Chanel #5 or Hoppes #9?

Recently I went to a friends house, and her Dad was not in his normal big chair watching TV. As I walked past his chair I smelled a very strong chemical odor. I recognized it immediately as gun solvent. So I looked around and pulled back the cushion, haha, there was his stainless Colt .44 magnum he loves so much. Busted!!!

That got me thinking. How often do people accidentally tell the world they are carrying a pistol, by the smell of cleaner and oil.

So yesterday when a friend asked me to help her clean her Dad's 100 + year old pistol, we soaked all the parts in liquid dish detergent. Then dropped them in a pot of boiling water. I cleaned the barrel with a brush wrapped in cloth and dipped in the detergent. The pistol came out amazingly clean. And the water evaporated instantly.

I then oiled the pistol in baby oil with no fragrance. Now it's totally clean and has no smell on the pistol or in the room. Normally,whatever room I clean a pistol in smells like chemicals for a few days.

My question is this, is there anything in dish soap that can hurt steel? Is the baby oil (petroleum mineral oil) a good lubricant for pistols?

Are there any other non stinky cleaners and oils I can use for gun cleaning?

Thanks

Boolit Master

as long as you rinse the metal well there should be no issues using dish detergent to clean it. But if you do not rinse it good most soaps contain Lye a base that is caustic. I have never thought of using baby oil to lube and rust protect my guns but I don't see why not. as long as it creates a barrier to oxygen it should protect the metal. as far as lube I dont know it could be tacky and attract dust which could cause abrasive wear. I would caution you to check on that often until you know.

Moderator Emeritus

Automatic transmission fluid.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Boolit Grand Master

Chanel #5 or Hoppes #9?

The aroma of Shooters Choice for me.

Fascinating though that a woman has the interest in shooting to post the question. One of the biggest problems with the shooting sports is very simply not nearly enough women shooters.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Trey45 View Post
    Automatic transmission fluid.
    And STP for a heavier lube.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    ..... One of the biggest problems with the shooting sports is very simply not nearly enough women shooters. Rick
    I agree. I have seen some very good female shooters at some competition events, but they're far outnumbered by male shooters.

My wife shoots a S&W model 19 and she does very well. She doesn't shoot nearly as often as I do, but she does enjoy shooting when she does.

She will tell you herself that she's not as good with a rifle as I am. But, I'll tell you myself that I know better than to challenge her on the plate machine. Last time I tried that, she sent me home with my head down in shame.

Moderator Emeritus

I've often wondered about weapons smelling police dogs,
    are they smelling gunpowder (burnt or unburnt) or oil/cleaning solutions ?
    or a combination of everything ?
    -if it had wood grips and I doubt I'd boil them,
    but even if I did, I doubt those grips would ever
    give up the smell of oil/solvents, if introduced to them.
    -LASTLY and LUCKILY, I can't image a thug noticing a smell of gun oil/solvents
    unless it was overwhelming...can crackheads and zombies even smell ?

Another thought:
    About 10 years ago while participating in a rifle league,
    there was a young female shooter (I think she was 18 or 19),
    She outshot nearly everyone in the league...except her father,
    He must have been a good teacher, He also co-ran the league.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

If you are looking for a light oil that doesn't gum up the works as it dries and doesn't smell of gun solvent, than go with 3 in 1 oil.

I'm not sure Baby oil would give the same amount of protection as a dedicated machine oil.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

In Remembrance

Break - Free has a sweetish smell to it, not like an oil or solvent.

I associate the smell of 3 - in - 1 oil with my mother`s old treadle sewing machine. I guess that is why to this day I refer to it as "sewing machine oil". Maybe my mother kept the family .30-30 hidden in the cabinet?Robert

Boolit Master

After reading Jim's post I got to remembering an even that took place a few years ago. A couple of law enforcement buddies and I were shooting falling plates in the back yard with my Smith 41 mag. The guys were making a few wild shots including shooting the leg of the rack, the roller pulley that is used to set up the plates and well you get the picture. My wife who is an excellent shot ventured into the back yard. I offered to let her join in. She took the 41, promply cleared all six plates, handed the gun back to me and returned to the house without a spoken word. Yes I find most women can do fine in the shooting sports.

Banned

I wear Ed's Red, but the smell is appropriate because I usually have grease/oil stains on my clothes and ball cap.

Gear

Boolit Master

Kroil.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Banned
    G-96 here.

Boolit Master

Where Pennsylvania, Delaware, and Maryland join.
    I have taught and coached junior shooters all my adult life and without a doubt girls are better shooters than guys. Girls don't think they know everything so they listen. Girls practice what they are taught. Girls stay focused.

Girls become women and most go on to other things stopping their practice giving men a chance to catch up. Thats why most shooting competitions have seperate classes for men and women, so the men won't feel bad.
    Blacksmith

S. G. G. = Sons of the Greatest Generation. Too old to run, too proud to hide; we will stand our ground and take as many as we can with us!

Boolit Grand Master

Kroil or Marvel Mystery oil for me.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master
    What perfume do you wear?

H-110
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

Depends. For my women, I prefer Chanel #22, For me - well - the women have to put up with what they find.
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Boolit Grand Master
    30 years ago I had a co worker of low repute who would dabble Hoppes #9 about his person whenever he cheated on his wife. Said it overpowered any of the associated odors from his activities.

Boolit Master
    I have cleaned guns using a toothbrush, really hot water, and dawn dish soap before.

Typically I would only do that with stainless, or alloy guns, but I have done a few really dirty blued steel guns that way as well. It's a great way to get crud out of an action, or a receiver.

I would always make sure to dry them off completely, and wipe them down with a high quality lubricant and rust preventative after.

I also like to use a high quality gun grease for places where I want the lubricant to stay, and not migrate. I don't really notice the aroma of say, Tetra brand gun grease. I can smell the petroleum distillates pretty easily in a lot of the other popular gun lubricants out there.

Not really sure about the baby oil, but if its working for you with no signs of corrosion, I would say go with it. I like to use baby oil (the scented kind) as a cleaner to remove boolit lube when I am indoors, or to wipe down cases with.

You can probably find a decent synthetic, or a petroleum based oil with a non gun smell if you are really worried about using the mineral oil.

I have used a sewing machine needle oiler before to get at those hard to reach places, and it was virtually odor free. I would also imagine that food quality oil, like what would be used on a meat slicer, would have virtually no aroma. I just would hope that they worked as well as a lubricant and rust preventative, as the more odorous oils and greases.

It's always refreshing to hear another take on things.

- Bullwolf

Boolit Master

Last edited by Three-Fifty-Seven; 06-22-2020 at 01:02 PM.
    John 3: 16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast