WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: 25/221 Fireball for cast bullets

Boolit Buddy

25/221 Fireball for cast bullets

I am a big 25 caliber fan with 6 rifles in the quarterbore. I have shot quite a bit of cast in the 25/20 but got to wondering how a 25/221 fireball would be for cast. I have 8 different molds for 25cal from 65 gr to 120 gr.

It would appear this would be a good case for cast bullets. I am thinking about getting a CZ 527 in 221 Fireball and having it rebored to 25 caliber.

AM I CRAZY FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS??????

Bill

Boolit Master
    I have not cast for .25 yet but have thought about a .25-.222 quite a bit. That one has a name: the .25 copperhead!

I have a 527 American in .223 and they are wonderful rifles and the set trigger really "sets" things off as well.

Using a Fireball case (shorter) would help in the CZ as the detachable magazine is a limiter for overal loaded round length (though I doubt that a .222 wouldn't work as well).

Best regards

Three 44s

In Remembrance

I have thought

something like this has been needed for about forty years or more.
    The model 62 Marlin came in 256 mag and was not popular enough to keep the cartridge going. A friend had one of those in the early sixties. He killed two deer with two shots. First two shots out of it. I have had three Ruger Hawkeyes and loved them.
    Maybe Ruger could be badgered into chambering their 77 rifle in 256 mag or the cartridge you propose. A rimless cartridge would run well in Ruger rotary magazines.
    A cartridge with power between the 25 20 and 250 Savage is definately needed.
    Would be great for those pests like the nocturnal skunk and possum and the fox in the hen house.
    Would be legal for deer in Washington.
    Converting a CZ sounds like an expensive proposition.
    A savage model 340 already has the bolt face for the 222/223 case. Easy headspacing. Cheap used donor gun.
    I just brought home a Ruger #1 in 257 Roberts and will shoot cast in it.
    Have a foot and a half of snow today and my attitude has fallen about five clicks.
    Hard to get started.

Life is good

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by CENTEX BILL View Post
    I am a big 25 caliber fan with 6 rifles in the quarterbore. I have shot quite a bit of cast in the 25/20 but got to wondering how a 25/221 fireball would be for cast. I have 8 different molds for 25cal from 65 gr to 120 gr.

It would appear this would be a good case for cast bullets. I am thinking about getting a CZ 527 in 221 Fireball and having it rebored to 25 caliber.

AM I CRAZY FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS??????

Bill
    9 years later, did you do it? I had a Copperhead once. Gave it to a good friend. Built it on a Sako L46. I think this one would be an even better cast bullet gun.

Boolit Master

I have a 40XBR in 222 Mag that has been worked up to a fantastic bench gun. I have often thought that when and if the bore goes south, either 222 Mag/25 or 223/25 would be a good upgrade. My other consideration has been conversion to 7mm TCU, owned a Contender with a 23" barrel in 7 TCU. It did not shoot anything well, the throat and leede were way to long, made during the lawyer proof years at TC. The heaviest 7mm bullets of the day could not even reach the rifling. I really think a good 7 TCU barrel would be the cats meow for cast bullets.