MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: A clutz asks

Beekeeper

A clutz asks

I only have a 12 guage (multiple) and haven't loaded for them in 45 years ( long time safe queens) and was thinking of getting back in to it
    Will not be shooting a lot but thought I would get a loader as that would complete the setup for me.
    My search function ability is crapola so was wanting someones recomendations as to equipment to buy for a basic setup as I doubt I will ever again shoot in competition so it will be plinker loads and maybe a few bird loads.

beekeeper

Well the Lee Loadall is fairly decent, cheap and very versatile, since it comes with all the bushings.
    http://leeprecision.com/shot-shell-r...loading-press/

MEC makes a great product. Although you either need to pick up different bushings and shot bars or pick up their adjustable bar. http://www.mecreloaders.com/
    They also have simple reloaders to powered progressive types.

I have the Lee Loadalls and a simple MEC 600. I typically use the MEC for 12 GA because of the powder and shot bottles. I can take them off of the press, put the lid on the powder one and store it, or easily dump it back in the powder container. The Lee has the powder and shot resevoirs all as one unit, so it can be a little tricky to dump it out if you don't use it all in your reloading session. I'm also not trying out different powder & shot combinations. If I were, I would probably use the Lee since it has all the bushings.

That being said, have you priced shotshell components recently? Shot has been running $35 -40 a bag, even more at some stores. Primers had been running $35-40 per thousand, although now I see them at Grafs for much cheaper at $27 per thousand. Maybe others know of better sources, if so, please share. On the other hand, I've been finding some sales and getting cases of 12 GA, either Remington, Estate or Federal for $50 - $55 a case, which was just slightly higher than reloading. If I had not acquired the gear years ago, I would probably stick to storebought, unless I had a source for cheap shot. But then again, that's just my opinion.

Good luck with your decision and good for you putting those safe queens to good use!

Boolit Master

I am a MEC guy but if I was only going to load 12 gauge and just a few a year less than 200 or so I would not hesitate to buy the LEE Load all. It has it quirks but so do all of them. With the added features you get with others comes cost. In end if your not loading and shooting a lot of shotgun shells either buy the cheap stuff at wally world or get the LEE.
    my .02 if its worth that.

Boolit Master

For 12 ga. you can prob'ly buy a used MEC 600Jr. at any gunshow for the cost of a new Lee Loadall II. You don't need all the bells and whistles (powder and shot bushings and bars). For a few hundred loads a year you can use a shot dipper and powder measure (or dipper). Actually I've mounted a Lyman 55 on one of my MEC's to throw powder. The MEC is infinitely more adjustable for crimp and for different loads than the LEE. My $0.02. Regards, Woody
    Take a kid along

Boolit Master

Amen on the MEC 600. I've owned a MEC since 1960 (starting with the 250) and got out of shotshell loading for a while and then back into it. The old MEC 250 is still doing well for #2 son and I bought a 600Jr to load for dove shooting, some buckshot loads and slug loads and my tinkering here on the place with shotguns and it does a good job for me as I have limited shell needs.

Pick up a good used MEC and replace any needed parts from MEC. Their customer service is almost as good as that of RCBS and you'll be in business.

I also picked up an old MEC 250 off one of the guys here and thanks to their costumer service, I have it up and running.......just for old times sake./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....