RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9.3x74R Gets a Good Hog

9.3x74R Gets a Good Hog

I shot another hog with my Ruger No.1 9.3x74R. This hog fell in its tracks. It wasn't a large hog but one that will make good sausage. He will be on the grill during the Super Bowl. My load is RWS case, CCI 200 primer, 59.0gr IMR 4064, and a 250gr cast lead paper patched bullet. Est. velocity is 2500 fps. Next to my M1, my 9.3x74R is my favorite hog rifle.

Boolit Master
    Good Job!!!

That 9.3 has been on my watch list since I found out about cast boolits!
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Buddy
    Congratulations!

9,3s are good. Have killed a couple of three piggies with a 9,3x62 using 286 gr Nosler partitions at 2425 fps. All have been DRT.

Also took a 125 pounder with a 9,3x74R Chapuis double rifle. Was using the 270 gr Speer which shoots very well but fragments on impact leaving chunks of more material through the would canal. Piggie was DRT but a bit messy to clean.

Acquired an .366 290 gr 366-260-GCDD NEI mould that makes a very nice bullet. Largest sizing die available needs to be a bit bigger to get best accuracy in my rifles.

I like AA5744 for propelling cast bullets in larger capacity rifle cases. I too use RWS cases in 9,3x74R

I didn't think metric calibers worked in the USA.....
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffinNZ View Post
    I didn't think metric calibers worked in the USA.....
    Need a left hand twist for metric.

I am reading up on paper patching and the 9.3x74 is on the list.

Boolit Master
    Well done.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Boolit Master
    Reverend R,

What kind of damage did the bullet do? I suspect not it was not quite so messy as a jacketed bullet. I hate cleaning up large messy bloodshot areas and throwing meat away.

I'm still waiting on the current small group buy on a 9.3 mould, don't know if I'll try it on deer as I've about given up on them, can't shoot what doesn't exist, and we don't really have any amount of hogs here yet, thank goodness.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Buddy
    Congratulations.

This article was the one that got me interested in casting and paper patching for my rifles.
    I have not looked back!

http://www.texasboars.com/phpBB2/vie...68458199f3418c

Thanks for everything.

This bullet was cast of wheel weights. It blew a 2" exit hole through the ribs and hide. A 4" chunck of liver was laying on the ground beside the hog. I think cast paper patched bullets at 2500 fps perform quite well. I may never buy any more jacked bullets for this rifle.

So, Rev, do you use a .358 boolit wrapped up or an actual mold for the 9.3? I noticed the 358's hit that size the first time I wrapped one & started wondering about a 9.3x74R - looked like the Ruger #1 would be a very good choice. I definetly couldn't afford a drilling (come on lotto!!).

I could really see enjoying my M1 as a hog gun. I don't think could wait to see if there would be any 'one shot kills' if you know what I mean.
    Avatar - 2006, my oldest son (6'2"), trying to lift the 95lb Cobia he caught at Cape Hatteras, NC from the beach.

Boolit Grand Master

Nicely done, RR! Good size for grilling, I've been wanting to try that but it seems I generally shoot one best suited for sausage.
    9.3 X 74R....there's another caliber I need to read up on. Already sounds like a damned fine hog gun!
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

I too have a 9.3x62

I also picked up a barreled action 9.3x57

I like calibers that double thump 'em..... once going in, once going out!

The mold I use is a Saeco mold #352 35 caliber (358 diameter) 245 Grain Flat Nose Gas Check. Cast from wheel weight alloy they weigh 250 gr. I roll them in 25lb tracing paper from Office Depot. When dry they mike at 0.368". No sizing is needed. The medium weight No.1 rifle handles well in the woods, much better than a heavy 375 H&H. It is a good 250 yd rifle. The recoil is not too bad. It kicks about like a 12 ga. shotgun. I did put some weight in the butt stock. The extra weight helps during long practice sessions at the shooting club. I have no need for anything more than the 9.3x74R

I think Ruger has discontinued the No.1 rifle in 9.3x74R. It is no longer listed in their online catalog. It must not have been a good seller. I think the 9.3x74R attracts more rifle enthusiasts than it does the average hunter. That's too bad. Now the price of the few available will go up. I am glad I got mine when I did.

Boolit Bub
    Nice hog. I'm happy to see a 9.3 being used on game. I have a 9.3x57 Husqvarna sporter that shoots really well. I am waiting on the 9.3 group buy to get a reliable source for cast for the rifle. I bought and shot some 280 grain cast and it did very well, 2" groups at 100 yards with the iron sights. Unfortunately the company stopped selling that bullet. Not enough demand, I guess. I have hunted with the rifle 3 times this year for deer but apart from the first morning, I haven't seen a good deer within my self imposed 100 yards max range. Hopefully by next season I will have a good cast load worked up and get to try it out on a deer. I'm sure it will work. In the mean time, it is nice to see another 9.3 "bringing home the bacon".

I have considered using paper patched .358's in my 9.3. A good friend has a 35 Whelen and casts for it so obtaining some cast boolits to work with would be easy.

I shoot paper patched 180's through a Win. 94, they will knock the bejeebers out of anything.
    I use the same load data as for jacketed bullets.
    If you're just thinking about it, check with Buckshot on this forum, he set me up with a bore diameter push-through sizing die.
    Everybody grab a shovel, we got a swamp to drain.

Boolit Buddy
    Colt's left hand twist? Just sayin.......I shoot a 9.3x62 in a 98 Husky and animals just kinda go straight down with no kicking.Now you see e'm ,now you don't.......Harold
    Last edited by Pioneer2; 01-27-2012 at 12:59 PM. Reason: more

Boolit Mold
    I just ordered a 9.3x74 Ruger #1 yesterday. Apparently they are still available.

I have two 9.3 MM molds but after reading this I am thinking that a 200 gr .358 FP might be a good whitetail bullet in this rifle. I guess it would be an express rifle of sorts. Has anyone tried a light weight bullet in this calibre?

On a Saturday several years ago I stopped by the largest gun shop in my area. All of their 9.3mm bullets were marked 50% off. They were probabbly forced on them to get discounted whole sale prices on all the other bullets. They must have not been good sellers. There were Barns, Nosler Acubond, and Hornady. I bought them all. The Barns and Nosler are 250gr bullets and shoot very well. Those are the lightest that I have fired. I have not considered 170 - 200gr bullets for my 9.3x74R. I have a 30-06 and Marlin 30-30 for those and lighter weights. I have heard of 95gr 9mm Makarov(0.365") pistol bullets being loaded in 9.3mm rifles. If I had a 9.3x57 I would try them.

Boolit Buddy
    Rev,

Sir, you walked into a very good deal indeed!

I can't shoot Barnes bullets in a double rifle, so have kinda standardized on Nosler Partitions for the DR and two bolt 9,3x62s I shoot. DRs are built to shoot bullets of a specific weight driven within a narrow range of velocities so light bullets are out on that one. Never had any problem with the effectiveness of heavier projectiles so haven't gone below 250s in the bolt rifles.

The 9,3s do a wonderful job on piggies, warthog and bush pig. Have had very, very few go more than a few feet and most have gone directly down ... DRT.

Boolit Buddy
    Wiping the dust off this post..... because a No.1 in 9.3x74 is available for a good price near me. Any of you still enjoying your 9.3x74 Rifles? Looks like I just might....!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast