MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: mixing lubes

mixing lubes

Hey all, I am using Lyman blk moly w/ a melt temp of 150 degrees. Gonna switch to SPG w/a melt temp at 140 degrees.
    Can SPG be used for non-Black powder shooting loads.? I plan on using SPG for my 45cal BP loads , will this still be ok to use in my wifes guns, also 45, non BP loads. I just don't want to have to set up another lube sizer if I don't have to.
    Just wondering if SPG will be ok in any load?
    Thanks, Bob

Should be fine, I have run SPG w/ smokless powder loads & it ran fine @ least @ lower 45colt pressures.

most black powder lubes work well for low pressure smokeless loads , it's when you start adding all the pressure that demands increase , 38 wadcutters and plinking 45 acp loads arent very demanding IMHO , i dont however use SPG lolz but i have tried a variety ( including emmert's etc ) as crossover lubes , currently using dick dastardly's pearl lube ( slightly modified and tweaked of course but ... it works well ) one thing to consider ( if you're using lyman's moly lube you should be use to the mess lolz ) is that most black powder lubes are fairly soft and dont tend to store lubed boolits very well but softer lube does tend to be more messy IMHO
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Thanks for the replys.
    The only other lead I use is for 38 cowboy matches for spouse and 45 acp mid range loads.
    The 45 acp is usually 5 grs 700x and the 38s , 3 grs trail boss.
    I was thinking SPG cuz its 140 degree melt temp would not be as messy.

Anything eles I load for would be jacketed and avoid lube station.

Boolit Master
    Mike Venturino wrote numerous times that he used SPG for all his cast boolits. I'd use it for everything if I got it free ...LOL. Mike formerly was a partner with Steve Garbe in SPG. It would be a little pricey for me to use....sure wish LARS was making his version of SPG....I'm nursing my limited supply along before I spend twice as much on SPG...ain't found anyone selling it at a discount.