Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
Load DataInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2

Thread: Rhinoplasty on the cheap (nose sizing 280468S)

Question Rhinoplasty on the cheap (nose sizing 280468S)

After some minimalistic pondering of the actual requirements for nose-only sizing, it appears that the only critical requirements are: a bushing being supported above a recess. Some way of supplying force at a reasonably precise angle. Some way to eject the sized boolit.

Ordered a Redding 73270 bushing last night. All that is needed is a reasonably sized washer to support the bushing above a deep socket and some sort of a ram, either a drill press or arbor press. Extra credit round is turning a holder for a top punch. All it needs to do is start the nose sized boolit enough to free it up so it can be removed.

I would enjoy being able to nose size some 280468S boolits to .270 diameter so they can be seated with ALL of the GC inside the neck on a 6.8mm Remington SPC TC Contender.... I really would...

Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

Redding 73270 bushing arrived

Wiped a tear of joy from my eyes... Mic'd it with my Starrett... .5005 OD repeatedly, .375 long repeatedly. A simple bushing, but held to close tolerance... I could... cry....

I understand that with any measuring device, it is no better than one digit to the left of the least significant digit, but...

Options, options... Should fit the .501 H&I die. Measured the RCBS sizer die retaining screw. The OD of the opening above the H&I die is .590 (15mm to the dominion). Hex flat-to-flat is 15/16, the thread is 15/16-20. Yes, Virginia, 15/16-20 IS a standard thread.

Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

Boolit Master
    That's pretty cool......that you've got the .501 H&I that is. As you found out the Redding neck sizer bushings are 1/2 inch OD; I've got the Buckshot version that really is an H&I die with a "shelf" for the bushing to rest flush with the top of the die. This contraption allows me to shoot the monster 358009 in my .358Win, seated way into the lands....sweet.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Bjornb View Post
    That's pretty cool......that you've got the .501 H&I that is. As you found out the Redding neck sizer bushings are 1/2 inch OD; I've got the Buckshot version that really is an H&I die with a "shelf" for the bushing to rest flush with the top of the die. This contraption allows me to shoot the monster 358009 in my .358Win, seated way into the lands....sweet.
    I might eventually go with the bored out die. Right now I am opening my mind (Freemar) to alternate ways to accomplish the slight nose sizing. For heavy oomph sizing, of really long or oversize noses, the bored H&I (or the .501 route) might be better. But in my case I would like to investigate the use of a simple jig to fit in the opening of the H&I retaining nut. Have the nose sizer bushing sit directly on the mounted H&I die so you don't have to unscrew the retainer and replace the boolit sizer H&I die (messy fun!).

Think of boring out a flanged bushing from the flange side. It needs to be .500 wide, .375 deep. Use an end mill to kiss-off the flange to a suitable thickness. All the flange needs to do is keep the nose sizer bushing from pulling up with the sized nose.

Bushing O.D. needs to be close to .590 diameter to fit in the retaining nut. Flange needs to be fairly thin to fit above the seated H&I die so the retaining nut fits. This would work as is for longer boolits, where the existing stem should push the sized boolit up.

Baah. Need more alcohol to power computations (where is Bender when you need him?)

PS. Ordered .501 H&I and .277 (for 7mm bore riders) from Optics Planet. Order more than 29.95 and S&H is free. Can't beat the price, $42 total for both dies AND S&H to boot.
    Last edited by ohland; 08-16-2014 at 12:43 PM.
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!