RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: moonshine recipes

Boolit Man

moonshine recipes

any one have a good moonshine or wisky recipe

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Virgin white oak casks required; triple distilled sugar water (corn syrup) with extreme distillation temperature controls (PID). Thow away the first 1/2 hours worth, first pass. Yeast nutrients required for high yield type yeasts. ... felix
    Last edited by felix; 01-15-2012 at 04:18 PM.
    felix

Boolit Buddy
    Thow away the first 1/2 hours worth
    I recently ran across this advice and the reason given was that the 1st alcohol to distil is poisonous.

Yah i heard that too, I dont remeber if it was wood ethyl alcohol or methanol but either way I think it makes you go blind

I have a book. the title is "Moonshine", by Matthew B. Rowley. this is an interesting and funny book. it has articles and stories from history, along with still plans and instructions. there are many recipes and photos and illustrations. i have tried a couple of recipes which worked and would have been better if my still was better sealed. uncle jed

Boolit Master

NO the first part is still good. just keep it and add to next batch. It is the "cleaning" part It most likely will be about 180 proof. about a pint. then the temp will stabilize.

according to the book anything from app. 174 degrees to 205 degrees is safe, but the best is from app. 180 to 200 degrees

You start seeing a little methanol around 160 degrees. You have to be carefull because the temp in your cap and still are usually different. Once you reach 174 in your cap you are making real party likker. Throw out everything before that just to be safe. When your boil starts to get down your heat will probably get a little higher and you will start to get a little propanol and condensed water. That's your backins. Save that to fill your thump keg on the next batch. The best likker is the middle of the boil.
    If you're gonna shoot shoot, don't talk.

Boolit Master

As for the mix. This is for 5gal of liquid to run. 10 lb cracked corn , 8 lbs sugar, 1/2 lb barley tosted. and Last the yeast.
    The yeast is most important and you will have to order it
    the cracked corn , need to make sure you get cracked corn and not half cobs. sugar dont matter
    the barley can be a problem getting small amounts.
    you need a sealed 7gal ferminter
    boil 4 gal of water-tap water is fine- and add to corn. any of the cob and trash will float
    you can do 2 things with the barley 1 soak it over night and then run in a blender
    drain and toast in the oven. 2 buy it all ready toasted
    add that to corn.
    next boil 1 gal water and add the sugar mix till disolved
    let cool to about 80* and add the yeast. and set it where temps going to stay near 80 to 85*
    with the liquor yeast it takes about 5 days .
    when it stops working drain off the liquid. and let stand for couple hrs covered
    You need to run it then. leave as much settlement behind as you can
    If you are going to do another batch ,have your water boiled and cool and add it to the mash and 8 lbs suger and replace air lock.
    You can reuse about 3 times and dont have to add yeast
    you can get the stuff you need from Brewhaus
    they have a PDF catalog
    Grape&Grainery has the tosted barley and have the best fermenter I have seen
    Last edited by shotman; 05-08-2012 at 08:17 PM.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Shotman's technique is called Sour Mash. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Man
    Thanks for all the replys.Can i make it for my self and not to sell with out getting into trouble

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by grisy11 View Post
    Thanks for all the replys.Can i make it for my self and not to sell with out getting into trouble

No. Look for the related thread that was posted last week.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Distilling Alcohol for yourself could lead to free room and board, compliments of your Government.

Boolit Man
    lol ok then i gess i will not be doing that then.Thanks every one

Look for a homebrew shop in your area. They are pretty common and will sell a wide variety yeast and malted barley. Plain ol' American 2 Row should be fine.
    If you're gonna shoot shoot, don't talk.

Boolit Master

there is WAY more to it than making the mash and 10 years making trash
    all I posted is to let you know some of the stuff. Rest is the so called secret

Boolit Grand Master

My buddy came back from a wedding in West Virginia with a couple jars of shine, never having tasted it before I was eager to sample the stuff. After removing the cap it smelled pretty good. I took a small sip and it tasted good and after a few more sips it tasted realy good. Nice and smooth, I liked it .
    In contrast we bought some in Texas , legaly in a liquor store, from Tenn. and boy that stuff was NASTY. Tasted and smelled like rubbing alcohol.
    The reason I mention this is shotman is from West Virigina and those folks must know the secret to making good shine so listen to his advice.
    I know that as the head of a household you can legaly make beer and wine ( up to 300 gals. I think ) but the distallation of spirits might be another matter. And as we all know none of us would do anything against the law. My feelings are if you make a little for strictly medicinal purposes , and didn't sell it, it would be O. K.
    Maybe somebody could post plans for making a small still, I've always wanted to try making it just don't know how.

Boolit Master

In the Heart of N Alabama smack dab along Tornado Alley.
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    In contrast we bought some in Texas , legaly in a liquor store, from Tenn. and boy that stuff was NASTY. Tasted and smelled like rubbing alcohol.
    Can you tell me where it was made, brand name, etc? I've had 2 made legally in TN & I'll have to say that both are really good.

#1 was made on the main drag in Gatlinburg (Gatlinburg Distillery?) & the other is PopCorn Sutton's Recipe now made legally in Nashville. Hank Williams Jr. is the $$$ behind that venture. If that is truly Popcorn's recipe then that man knew how to make some more good shine!

I've only tasted backwoods shine two times in my life & both were awful in my uneducated opinion.

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a
    lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting
    the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    No. Look for the related thread that was posted last week.
    Where's the thread?
    What's the difference between brewing you own beer for personal comsumption and distilling your own liquor for personal comsumption?

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by 375RUGER View Post
    Where's the thread?
    What's the difference between brewing you own beer for personal comsumption and distilling your own liquor for personal comsumption?

10 years in Federal prison.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!