Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NEF pressure limits

Boolit Buddy
    +1 on what OldRed said! And I also repeat myself: "if you need to magnumize an existing cartridge get a bigger gun!"

T-o-m

Quote Originally Posted by oldred View Post
    What I don't understand is the fascination some people have with loading a cartridge to the ragged edge, not aiming this at anyone here just that it seems to be a common practice. I had buddy who owned a 45/70 Encore (the one I own now) who got some rounds from a co-worker who proudly proclaimed they were loaded to 458 Lott levels! I don't know if he meant he was getting 458 Lott velocities, which I SERIOUSLY doubt, or if he had just managed to get a 458 Lott charge in the shorter case. Most likely he is just full of...well you know, but in any case the guy is an example of what I am talking about. I convinced my buddy not to shoot these by showing him some pictures of exploded rifles and we broke them down to be reloaded with a safer charge, the unknown powder from these rounds was used in the flower bed. Another example of over-loading the 45/70 was a guy at the local range who bragged that his loads were so heavy that he had to let the cases cool before they would extract and this was in a Marlin lever action! This attitude of "just load it up until it explodes then back off a couple of grains" is all too common but it makes no sense, sticking with published loads using the right components or carefully developing a sane load that stays below max pressures is the only safe thing to do. Most of these "super" loads are not only totally unnecessary but usually wildly inaccurate, what good is a super powerful load if it won't hit the target?

Like I said I am not talking about anyone in particular just ranting a bit about what seems to be a dangerous practice.

Boolit Buddy
    My apologies if I ruined this thread, violated forum rules or offended anyone,,,,,besides clark that is.
    I’ll make just one statement and not post to this thread again.

You don’t need to be a PHD PE, claim to have a father who’s a Professor of NASA engineers or brag about how you correct experts, to understand a very simple concept.
    A concept so simple, I believe anyone who’s reached adulthood with a shred of common sense and life experience already knows.

“Mechanical assemblies usually fail at their WEAKEST link,,,,Not their strongest”

To tout something’s strongest part as evidence of its overall strength, isn’t something that a person with any kind of engineering background does.
    IMHO, thats more akin to the self promoting, used car salesman type of person.

Along the lines of touting a car because it has 1000HP engine and that you could drive it 500MPH!!!!!!!!!!!!
    While failing to say its 25 years old, has 200,000 miles and sits on bald tires.

Anyone with an interest in engineering should look into the design of this type of firearm for themselves.
    And if you want to experiment with over pressuring one, more power to you. Just do it remotely and safely, not hand held and inches from you’re face.

Cheers, YV

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by yovinny View Post
    My apologies if I ruined this thread, violated forum rules or offended anyone,,,,,besides clark that is.

You don’t need to be a PHD PE, claim to have a father who’s a Professor of NASA engineers or brag about how you correct experts, to understand a very simple concept.
    A concept so simple, I believe anyone who’s reached adulthood with a shred of common sense and life experience already knows.

“Mechanical assemblies usually fail at their WEAKEST link,,,,Not their strongest”

To tout something’s strongest part as evidence of its overall strength, isn’t something that a person with any kind of engineering background does.

Along the lines of touting a car because it has 1000HP engine and that you could drive it 500MPH!!!!!!!!!!!!
    While failing to say its 25 years old, has 200,000 miles and sits on bald tires.

Anyone with an interest in engineering should look into the design of this type of firearm for themselves.
    And if you want to experiment with over pressuring one, more power to you. Just do it remotely and safely, not hand held and inches from you’re face.

Cheers, YV

Don't see where you need to apologize for anything as your point is perfectly valid, thanks for the input.

Boolit Master
    yovinny
    Unless you can analyze the loads that each part bears you may not be able to tell by mere inspection what is the most likely component to fail.
    EDG

I like to load the most accurate round that I can. 52 grains of H4198 with a 300 grain jacketed bullet gives one inch or better groups at 100 yards and blows a hole the size of a grapefruit. This is the load that my customers insist on and what they get. I just would like to know what the Handi is capable of.
    I would like a little lube with my OBAMA CARE!

Quote Originally Posted by 9.3X62AL View Post
    Hey, Clark--good to see you again.

No dog in this fight, I don't own an NEF rifle. My own thoughts, having a Ruger #1 in 45-70......my shoulder gives out long before the rifle would consider saying "UNCLE".
    +1 on the Ruger#1, you can load it up all you want, it just hurts on both ends.

Quote Originally Posted by yovinny View Post

Cheers, YV
    Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I was doing research on double rifles, and after reading YoVinny's post, I decided the H7H double rifle in 375H&H is inherently UNSAFE and a dismantling waiting to happen...

I can't believe they still sell those inherently UNSAFE double rifles in cartridges rated at 62KPSI

(sorry, couldn't resist!)
    I am ONLY responsible for what I Say!
    I am NOT responsible for what You THINK I Said!
    ====
    If numbers killed I'd hunt with a Calculator!

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    This thread popped up in my unread posts. Started reading and thought I haven’t heard from Clark in ages...
    Then I saw the date.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12