WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Star sizer air kit

Boolit Master

Star sizer air kit

No longer available.

I just bought an air piston kit for my Star lubrisizer. I haven't even gotten it yet, but I thought I'd pass on what I think is a great deal. As background, I have bought other items from this same maker, and his items are well machined and finished. Unless you have your own machining tools, I don't think you could put it together this well for this cheap. He even includes a piston removal tool. I don't think you will be disappointed.

The whole kit is $55, including the new regulator and gauge AND shipping. The maker has 3 more available right now. He wants some folks to test 'em out and see how we like them. He is asking for our feedback.

A photo will be added soon, as apparently I'm not smart enough to figure out how to load one.

PM me for the makers contact info.

The only problem for some of you may be that he only takes PayPal, as he lives quite a long drive from the Post Office or a bank.
    Last edited by Alvarez Kelly; 03-18-2016 at 11:26 PM. Reason: No longer available

Boolit Master

Air kit Photo

Photo below is posted for Alvarez Kelly.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	air cyl 002.jpg 
Views:	716 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	39699
    Jon

PM sent

PM sent

Boolit Master
    Sending pm now.

Boolit Master

I hear you guys bought all he had and he is making more!

Boolit Bub
    PM Sent

Boolit Master
    I received this kit in the mail today. Here's some pics:

As it came packaged in a small FRB.

Test fitting the bits together. Where the pressure screw gets removed this kit replaces it with a clever machined aluminum fitting. I wish it were brass instead of aluminum but for $55 I bet it'll do the job just fine. Probably never have to touch it again once installed anyway.

The other thing that concerns me is the use of an O-ring here instead of a flat rubber washer like in a garden hose. I would think the thin edge of the steel tube would just push this O-ring aside instead of making a good seal. I'll give it a try though and see.

If the O-ring don't work I got these rubber gasket sheets from lowes / home depot for cheap. I can just cut my own washer.

Only thing I can't figure out is what the hose clamp is for. Any ideas?

Boolit Master

Hose clamp: Maybe to cover up the lube relief hole in the Star's reservoir?

Boolit Buddy

o-Ring

The air pressure should prevent the o-ring from being forced in side the lube tube providing you do not over tighten the cap before applying the air pressurer.
    It looks like a nice complete and well made package. Good luck.
    BOB
    22LR, 9MM, 45 ACP, 45 LC, 45-70, 6MM BR, 30BR, 222, 204, 22-250, 7-30 WATERS, 12GA, 36 & 44 BP

Boolit Master

Man that was FAST. I just got mine yesterday!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Oreo View Post
    edited...

The other thing that concerns me is the use of an O-ring here instead of a flat rubber washer like in a garden hose. I would think the thin edge of the steel tube would just push this O-ring aside instead of making a good seal. I'll give it a try though and see.

If the O-ring don't work I got these rubber gasket sheets from lowes / home depot for cheap. I can just cut my own washer.

Only thing I can't figure out is what the hose clamp is for. Any ideas?
    FYI only. The following is a quote from an email Bill (the maker of this kit) sent me in response to the previous post:

"I have done a lot of testing with the O ring in the cap and I have torqued it down extremely tight and have not had a failure. I started out with a flat rubber washer... it just wrinkled and was pushed down inside. I found that this supplied O ring with the 1/8 in cross section was the only one that would take the load and pressure. I pressured mine up to 125 psi and let it set over night with good results. The flat gasket would not take it, the tube is just to thin at the top. This is what I was hoping for is feedback and more testing by others. The hose clamp and strip of rubber is to close off the vent hole in the lube cylinder."
    Last edited by Alvarez Kelly; 01-23-2012 at 01:33 AM. Reason: correct my typos

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the reply. I do believe this kit is well thought out. I see things that I would have done differently but not necessarily any better.

I already have friends asking about this kit. I do believe your friend is in at the right price point to attract a lot of buyers.

What about replacement gaskets? The O-rings ought to be easy to find but that upper gasket on the plunger isn't something I've seen anywhere. Can spares be purchased? Are they even necessary in the long run?

Boolit Master

Thanks for the reply. I do believe this kit is well thought out. I see things that I would have done differently but not necessarily any better.

I already have friends asking about this kit. I do believe your friend is in at the right price point to attract a lot of buyers.

What about replacement gaskets? The O-rings ought to be easy to find but that upper gasket on the plunger isn't something I've seen anywhere. Can spares be purchased? Are they even necessary in the long run?
    Better pose the spares questions directly to Bill. Hopefully you kept his email address. I think the O-ring is a common part, as long as we know the size. Also, I think a "parts list" of the common components and a basic instruction sheet would make the kit more "retail ready."

Better tell your friends to buy 'em now, as I believe they will show up on Ebay as soon as Bill catches up with the Cast Boolits orders! I bet that will push the price point up.

Boolit Master

Where the pressure screw gets removed this kit replaces it with a clever machined aluminum fitting. I wish it were brass instead of aluminum but for $55 I bet it'll do the job just fine. Probably never have to touch it again once installed anyway.
    Bill emailed me:

"The reason I chose to use aluminum for the air adaptor is the cost of yellow brass is so high that I can't keep the price of the kit down for all of us reloaders, I use 6061-T6 aircraft grade aluminum, it will take more than 2500 psi."

PM sent

Banned
    After reading this thread and looking at the pictures of the kit being offered I have a few comments.

1.) The handmade adapter between the screw on reservoir cap and the regulator can be replace with a readily available adapter.

2.) The piston could be made out of teflon and machined for the two o-rings.

Making these two changes would in my opinion result in a kit that would do the same function and cost less to the person considering purchasing the kit.

Its a lot easier to use an existing adapter that is available than it is to tool up and machine one. I have provided a picture and a PN in a thread on making your own air setup for the star sizer. The same is true with regard to the piston that is machined form t 6061 aircraft aluminum. Its a lot faster to machine a piece of teflon than 6061 t6. A teflon piston with o-ring seals will do the same function.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t=99330&page=2

check out post #37 and #50 Russell PN 640980
    Last edited by 6bg6ga; 01-22-2012 at 10:18 AM. Reason: additional information

Boolit Master

I asked for it, so Bill sent it. A basic instruction sheet:

Air kit for Star* lube sizer.

# 1 clean your lube tube of any old lube 3/4 way down the inside of the tube
    if you are using hard lube so the piston slides with little force.

# 2 install hose clamp and rubber strip around lube tube to cover vent hole.

# 3 remove cylinder cap from spring pressure screw by removing the washer
    that is pressed on the end of screw, and screw cap off of pressure
    screw.

# 4 screw regulator assembly on to cylinder cap and tighten,put large O ring in
    cylinder cap.

# 5 fill tube with your lube to within 1 3/4 inch from top of tube, slide in the
    piston (O ring end first) push the piston down so the top air seal is just in the tube.

# 6 screw on the cylinder cap-regulator assembly NOT to tight as to damage the O ring
    in the cylinder cap but tight enough to prevent air loss.

# 7 to remove piston use the T tool supplied in kit when more lube is needed it screws
    onto the stud in the top of the piston" it can be used to push the piston down to.

Add your air chuck fitting to the regulator. The regulator is 1/4 inch pipe thread. To operate the regulator pull out on the knob and turn clock wise to increase,you should not need more than 40 to 60 pounds of air to run the lube sizer. Its pressure not volume so a small air compressor is plenty to run the system.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Its a lot faster to machine a piece of teflon than 6061 t6. A teflon piston with o-ring seals will do the same function.
    I saw your thread before I bought my kit from Bill. If I had access to a lathe, I probably would have tried that.

I think I would use UHMW at $2.82 per foot over teflon at $20 per foot. Or maybe use a peice of scrap round aluminum rod close the size you need.
    Last edited by beanflip; 01-27-2012 at 12:08 PM.
    I SHOOT MORE FOR LESS

I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible,With Liberty and Justice for all.

Life's tough......it's even tougher if you're stupid."
    -John Wayne

GAS--> $1.55--1-18-09

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast