Lee PrecisionGraf & SonsTitan ReloadingStainLess Steel Media
Inline FabricationADvertise hereRotoMetals2

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Guide to Hand Sorting Wheel Weights

Boolit Buddy

Hi Glen and welcome to casting.
    I use an outdoor burner for smelting also. I think it was an OLD plumbers unit. Looks a lot like the modern turkey boiler.
    I use an old dutch oven. When it gets too low to dip I grab the side handles with vise grips or channel locks to get the last out.
    Be interested on how the bottom of a propane tank works for you.

Most of the time I am now using wood chips for fluxing. Chain saw chips from cutting fire wood so there is a bit of chain lube.

The LEE lead hardness tester is fairly cheap and works well. Read the tests of various hardness testers on LASC site. While you are there download the free book " From Ingot to Target": A Cast Bullet Guide for Handgunners - A joint effort by Glen E. Fryxell and Robert L. Applegate. It is the best book out there. Lots of other gems there also.

I haven't found any lube better than Fryxell's take on Alox: Moly lube (Wally World or any AP store) and bees wax.

Boolit Master Cold Trigger Finger's Avatar
    Thank You!
    What velocity does your lube work well at ?
    Summer =busy time at work. Long hours. Its getting in the way of my lead smelting.
    You are being watched.

Boolit Buddy

Well at least it's light 24 or almost 24 hours there. If around Fairbanks in the hole it may be hot too

Glen Fryxell gives you all the data in his free online book. Molylube is better than the old ALOX so anything that you read ALOX this is better.

You can go to LASC & get or there is a Sticky with links in the CAST BOOLITS forum http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...or-Handgunners

Glen has a lot of articles on LASC that will help you a LOT getting started. Other articles there are a treasure trove. Look around there and most can be downloaded as PDF.

Glen's lube is what lives in my Lyman lubrasizer. Everything from slow 50 Cal front stuffer to Blowup speed in a 22-250 with homemade beer can PB GCs
    Last edited by K7sparky; 08-02-2017 at 02:21 PM. Reason: grammer

Thank you for this informative thread!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678