MidSouth Shooters SupplyGraf & SonsInline FabricationLee Precision
StainLess Steel MediaADvertise hereRotoMetals2Titan Reloading

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Guide to Hand Sorting Wheel Weights

Boolit Buddy

Hi Glen and welcome to casting.
    I use an outdoor burner for smelting also. I think it was an OLD plumbers unit. Looks a lot like the modern turkey boiler.
    I use an old dutch oven. When it gets too low to dip I grab the side handles with vise grips or channel locks to get the last out.
    Be interested on how the bottom of a propane tank works for you.

Most of the time I am now using wood chips for fluxing. Chain saw chips from cutting fire wood so there is a bit of chain lube.

The LEE lead hardness tester is fairly cheap and works well. Read the tests of various hardness testers on LASC site. While you are there download the free book " From Ingot to Target": A Cast Bullet Guide for Handgunners - A joint effort by Glen E. Fryxell and Robert L. Applegate. It is the best book out there. Lots of other gems there also.

I haven't found any lube better than Fryxell's take on Alox: Moly lube (Wally World or any AP store) and bees wax.

Boolit Master Cold Trigger Finger's Avatar
    Thank You!
    What velocity does your lube work well at ?
    Summer =busy time at work. Long hours. Its getting in the way of my lead smelting.
    You are being watched.

Boolit Buddy

Well at least it's light 24 or almost 24 hours there. If around Fairbanks in the hole it may be hot too

Glen Fryxell gives you all the data in his free online book. Molylube is better than the old ALOX so anything that you read ALOX this is better.

You can go to LASC & get or there is a Sticky with links in the CAST BOOLITS forum http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...or-Handgunners

Glen has a lot of articles on LASC that will help you a LOT getting started. Other articles there are a treasure trove. Look around there and most can be downloaded as PDF.

Glen's lube is what lives in my Lyman lubrasizer. Everything from slow 50 Cal front stuffer to Blowup speed in a 22-250 with homemade beer can PB GCs
    Last edited by K7sparky; 08-02-2017 at 02:21 PM. Reason: grammer

Thank you for this informative thread!

Boolit Bub

SEFL - land of sunshine, liquid and otherwise...
    Thanks to the OP and all that have contributed. This thread has been extremely helpful as I just got some COWW from a member here and a half bucket from the tire shop. The info helped me to quickly got through the batch and sort it all.
    The COWW from the member here was as advertised - mostly lead with a little zinc and steel.
    The tire shop bucket was unfortunately mostly steel Stick-on. It did yield some SO and CO lead.
    I had first gone through by scratching with a utility knife and looking for the Zn marking on those that were tough. I also used a magnet to help find the steel.

Again, thanks for all the info.
    - Have a good day and a better tomorrow...

Boolit Master Cold Trigger Finger's Avatar
    You also need to look out for synthetic weights. I use a pair of diagonal cutters to check the hardness. A steel weight is easy to tell . Zinc are too hard to cut into very much. Lead stick on weights get cut through really easy and leadalloy wheel weights can be snipped through with a real good squeeze. For my hands at least.
    You are being watched.

Boolit Mold
    Very helpful.

I just got my first bit of wheel weights... about a 1/3 of a bucket a small shop in town saved for me over the course of a few weeks. I ran out of light but I started sorting this evening. Looks to be about 2/3 lead with the other 1/3 steel and zinc. Now that I have something to mix with some of the pure lead I already have... I'm getting ever closer to being able to start casting.

Boolit Master

2/3 % lead is not a bad ratio. Not as good as the "old days", but still a nice yield. If this shop becomes a regular source for you consider doing something for them to ensure that they remain a regular source. Transfer some of your business to them, take them some donuts and coffee on a cold morning, maybe a pizza at lunch.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    2/3 % lead is not a bad ratio. Not as good as the "old days", but still a nice yield. If this shop becomes a regular source for you consider doing something for them to ensure that they remain a regular source. Transfer some of your business to them, take them some donuts and coffee on a cold morning, maybe a pizza at lunch.
    Yep. I was already planning on a 'random doughnut morning' when I can get there right at opening in the next couple weeks when I'm on leave. Good suggestion though. I got turned down by about a 1/2 dozen places before I happened upon them. Apparently, the guy who's runs the place's dad shoots and has 2 55 gallon drums full of weights saved up to cover himself for the next 2 lifetimes... so he was happy to spread some around.

Boolit Bub

SEFL - land of sunshine, liquid and otherwise...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Trigger Finger View Post
    You also need to look out for synthetic weights. I use a pair of diagonal cutters to check the hardness. A steel weight is easy to tell . Zinc are too hard to cut into very much. Lead stick on weights get cut through really easy and leadalloy wheel weights can be snipped through with a real good squeeze. For my hands at least.
    I did come across a couple of different synthetic weights. One SOWW type was like a foam/tape and was ferrous, another type looked like a standard COWW, not magnetic, and the dykes would cut it, but it was a dense plastic (?) material.

I did notice that most, though not all, of the Zinc were labeled with either the Z or Zn. Similar to the steel, Fe was on most, though not all.

Of the box that I obtained through here, I had done a hand sort and scored using the blade as mentioned above. I have since gone back and used the dykes to further refine the search and handle the questionables. I am mostly done with that project.

If the weather is good this weekend, I will work on rendering the WWs into ingots.
    - Have a good day and a better tomorrow...

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678