WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 38 Special Cartridges for Rifles

38 Special Cartridges for Rifles

I've been loading for my model 94 "trapper" and my loads don't feed for ****. I think the AOL may be insufficient. I have read that guys shooting Marlins have had the same problem. Has anyone found a length they have been successful with? I'm casting 158 gr. SWC.
    If you're gonna shoot shoot, don't talk.

My Marlin doesn't "like" SWC boolits but OAL seems to be more important especially when loading in magnum cases. It seems to digest anything in a 38 special case as long as its not too short. As always your mileage will vary.

Wes
    If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough.
    SASS 17373
    Proud Dad of a USAF Airman

Boolit Master

My Model 1894 .357 shoots about anything in a .38 Special case. Makes no difference. SWC, RB but especially likes the RFN bullets. It's not picky.

My friends Winchester on the other hand was a bit picky and many times wouldn't feed some of my loads. It's inherrent in the beast I beleive./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

I have had problems with a second round coming in on top of the link as the previous round is being chambered. It seems like it's not a problem with longer cartridges but I really don't know. Has your friend had any problems like that?

Are you talking about a 94 Marlin or 94 Winchester?
    Most people seem to feed just about anything through most Marlins but I have heard that a lot of Win 94s in 357 can be a bit cranky.
    My Marlin will feed any 357 or 38spl that I have ever tried in it.
    Hard work made me what I am today,
    Broken and broke
    Bob

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty30 View Post
    I have had problems with a second round coming in on top of the link as the previous round is being chambered. It seems like it's not a problem with longer cartridges but I really don't know. Has your friend had any problems like that?
    This is a common problem in Win 94 .357's. The action was designed for the 30-30 which is a long cartridge with a big head. They modified the action somewhat and then cheaped out with poor fitting soft parts. The gun handles 45 colt and .44 mag ok but .357's can be problematic. I have one and have done a lot of work on it, the only reason I keep it around is it's very accurate. The action is sloppy and rough, my Rossi 92's put it to shame in that dept. Here some links on the misfeed.
    http://www.levergunscommunity.com/vi...hp?f=1&t=34790
    http://www.levergunscommunity.com/vi...hp?f=1&t=27469
    http://www.levergunscommunity.com/vi...php?f=1&t=7996

Since I welded up my link cartridge OAL is no problem in my 94, it will even handle the 358429 in mag cases crimped in the crimp groove. Still a sloppy clunky action though!
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

I can't speak to the Winchesters, since the only ones I have are in .30-30 and .44 Magnum, but for the .357 Magnum Marlins using .38 Special cases, the magic number is 1.480" OAL. Anything shorter will cause hiccups, especially when cycling fast.

Experiment with the OAL and find what your rifle likes. I also avoid SWC bullets in my Marlins, except for my .45 Colt Cowboy, which will feed anything.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Boolit Grand Master
    My 94 Winchester is the Ranger Compact version. It really prefers a longer length than anything you can put in a .38 case.

It feeds 358429 in magnum cases great; the 358627 seated to crimp in the lower crimp groove will feed okay if the lever is worked briskly.

158 RNFP in .38 cases for plinking will occassionally pop out the top before the bolt goes home.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master
    My Marlin 1894 will feed anything I have tried in a 38 special case. They dont shoot very well but they will feed. Even a 148 gr wadcutter seated with only 3/16" or so about the case mouth.

Boolit Master
    Can't say I have any experience with boolits in my Marlin .357/.38, but it feeds jacketed 158 gr +P .38s with no problems at all. My .44 is one of those which has no problems with Ideal 431244 either. The current Lyman 429244 should be the clone to that boolit.

I haven't had any problems with mine feeding 38 specials. I have a Lee round nose 158 gr TL boolit.
    I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same

Boolit Master

Two things to specifically look at are the OAL (see above about 1.480" being the magic minimum) and the SWC boolit's shoulder.

Some leverguns will feed the SWCs and some won't. If you have one that doesn't like them, you have two choices - pick a different shaped boolit, or go to work on breaking the corner where the chamber starts. There's a thread over at marlinowners.com that tells how to do that.
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

Fellas I think that was exactly what I was looking for. I'll strip it down tomorrow and see if the welding job on the link is something I can do, if I can't I can have it done. I'll try a few different boolits and see if they work any better. Thanks to everyone for all the good info.

Never have seen a cowboy action shooter who was successful at getting Semi-Wad Cutter design bullets to run well in a lever action rifle (92, 73, 66, 94 Marlins). So, I'd start with a different bullet before incriminating the rifle.

I use a 158 grain Snakebite Big Lube design bullet. This bullet has many virtues, but for your situation, its advantage is that it yields a .357 magnum OAL in .38 cases. This is due to the fact that it is long for its weight because of the generous lube groove at the back of the bullet. Also, it is a round nose, flat point design with a meplate just large enough to prevent chain firing in a tubular magazine. It is a great bullet and I've used several thousand of them over the past couple of years. I have never had a feeding slow down or problem with this bullet in .38 special cases. It might be the ideal choice for the long action of the '94 Winchester.
    That I could be wrong is an eventuality that has not escaped me. I just painted the pictures as I saw them. I do not know how to do anything else. (Saint Elmer, 1955)

Boolit Master

I'm posting this drawing for Dirty thirty as I can't put it in a PM.
    Last edited by fecmech; 09-01-2012 at 11:28 AM.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Thanks!

Boolit Master

I don't have a Lever Action in 357/38, but I do own a 358 Winchester chambered Mauser that loads a lot smoother with a 158gr RN boolit over the 158gr SWC boolit design as well.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Man
    My Marlin 1894c in 357 loves the 180gr in 38 special brass over 10gr 2400.

It my most accurate load.

Man I forgot how accurate this little rifle is. I was shooting shotgun hulls over offhand at 25 yds the other day when trying out my repaired cartridge stop. I'll see if I can hunt up some 158 gr. RN boolits to try out before I buy the mold.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty30 View Post
    Fellas I think that was exactly what I was looking for. I'll strip it down tomorrow and see if the welding job on the link is something I can do, if I can't I can have it done. I'll try a few different boolits and see if they work any better. Thanks to everyone for all the good info.
    After reading all the posts I can't figure the absolute necessity for using 38SPLs instead of 357s unless your chamber is 38SPL for some reason??. The 357 can easily be loaded down to most any 38SPL power level desired. Also can't figure welding and modifying parts on an otherwise functional gun just to get there?? Also, shooting a bunch of 38s in the 357 will build up quite a carbon ring just in front of the case. Then if for some reason you want to chamber a 357... it won't until some serious scrubbing is done. Also, all that freebore throat in front of the 38 case may not help accuracy. Just curious.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast