WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I Have To Share My Experience, W/ Question - Lyman #358156

In Remebrance

Quote Originally Posted by DODGEM250 View Post
    No offense taken at all, I understand you are "cynical, contrary, opinionated and cranky." But, I tried everything. I even made up a few things LOL.

I'm not trashing Lyman as a whole, but, this set of blocks are junk. When I decide to buy a mold for doing my own 38/357 bullets it will be a Lee, why ?, I don't see any advantage to buying a Lyman mold for $65.00 when a Lee costs half that and does just as good, if not, better in my opinion. Slightly off topic, but, it's like buying one expensive watch because you buy something with a specific name on it, instead of buying a couple cheaper watches that still tell you the time of day.

Seriously, what are you paying for when you buy "Lyman" ? The name mostly as far as I'm concerned. (now, back to the topic)

I'm not here to trash Lyman. I am not a Lee Mold Groupie. I am simply stating my experience and I'm not impressed with the "this" mold.
    No problem. I understand the feeling, I despise Lee BP pots. But they work way too well for way too many other people to say they are junk. You just found one that wouldn't work for you.

I've found the older Lymans easier to work with than the new ones.

Boolit Grand Master

The second thing I noticed is that this mold had a tough time making flat bases, a lot of the bases came out rounded, and went back on the pot.
    The single most common cause of rounded bases is a sprue plate that is too cool. Stop inspecting your bullets as you cast, the sprue is cooling off fast because it has far less mass to hold heat than the mold blocks. The next would be incomplete pour to allow the base to fill out properly. Kill two birds at one time and pour an extra large sprue puddle, it will add heat to the sprue plate and give the bullet base alloy to draw from. Keep the mold closed (including the sprue plate) and full of alloy as much as possible. Cast faster.

It's also a single cavity mold, and after 50 bullets I said "screw this" I want a double cavity.
    Reading your posts in this thread it seems that you have made up your mind, this mold is junk and nothing is going to change your mind. Perhaps you are simply trying talk yourself into buying a new mold.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

I did the cleaning, prepping, lubing, ect. Tried high temps, low temps, quick drops, slow drops, you name it I did it, nothing seemed to work with this mold block after 2 hours.
    Tell ya what Dodge, I'll make you an offer. Send me this mold and within a week I'll send it back to you with 50 bullets cast from it. I'll even pay the return shipping so all it will cost you is shipping to me. How's that sound?

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post

There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.
    Bret,

Truer, more accurate words have never been written on this forum. This statement should probably be a sticky emblazened right under Lady Boolit.

Thing is, the same philosophy and attitude applies to reloading: There is a lot more to it than cramming in a primer, dumping in some powder and slapping a projectile on top.

I did the cleaning, prepping, lubing, ect. Tried high temps, low temps, quick drops, slow drops, you name it I did it, nothing seemed to work with this mold block after 2 hours. You might want to read the whole thread instead of just the OP... ?
    Some friendly advice from an old-timer. . .

A. The member you're replying to in a snot-nosed manner has been around a lot longer than you, has cast and reloaded a lot longer than you, and has helped out a lot more members--both old and new--than you.

B. When you, the original poster, reply/respond after virtually EVERY post, you look combative, unwilling to listen, read or learn and we've learned over the years to gradually begin ignoring such members.

C. This is a public forum and everyone has more than their right to an opinion and to their thoughts and observations.

D. We've also learned over the years that what constitutes "cleaning" or "mold prep" or "alloy composition/temp" to new casters is often quite different than what it constitutes to some who have been casting for over thirty or forty years.

E. Sniping back with comments of (paraphrasing) "Try reading the original post and comprehending, won't ya" ain't gonna get you anywhere except on a list.

I've used that exact same mold, way more than once, and had one of the same issues you had. The solution to it has already been posted here. But since you seem to already have it figured out, go ahead and give the mold back to your neighbor and keep convincing yourself it's the problem.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by cbrick View Post
    The single most common cause of rounded bases is a sprue plate that is too cool. ( my next option would be to have the sprue melting...)

Stop inspecting your bullets as you cast, ( I'm not. The round bases are rather obvious when they drop.) the sprue is cooling off fast because it has far less mass to hold heat than the mold blocks.

The next would be incomplete pour (hardly the case here) to allow the base to fill out properly. Kill two birds at one time and pour an extra large sprue puddle, ( yeah, did that too. ) it will add heat to the sprue plate and give the bullet base alloy to draw from. Keep the mold closed (including the sprue plate) and full of alloy as much as possible. Cast faster. ( been there.)

Reading your posts in this thread it seems that you have made up your mind, this mold is junk and nothing is going to change your mind. Perhaps you are simply trying talk yourself into buying a new mold.

Your so far off that assumption it's sad. The reason I borrowed the mold was so I didn't have to fork out for a new one. I've tried everything and no I have not only cast with this mold. The bullets from the .44 blocks came out great. I changed to the 38 blocks and nothing made a good bullet. It's the blocks, not me or my processes. It's almost like the sprue is creating an air bubble so the base does not fill in.

Rick
    Yes. I blame this specific mold. None of my other molds have this issue.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
    Bret,

Truer, more accurate words have never been written on this forum. This statement should probably be a sticky emblazened right under Lady Boolit.

Thing is, the same philosophy and attitude applies to reloading: There is a lot more to it than cramming in a primer, dumping in some powder and slapping a projectile on top.

Some friendly advice from a self-proclaimed know-it-all...

A. The member you're replying to in a snot-nosed manner has been around a lot longer than you, has cast and reloaded a lot longer than you, and has helped out a lot more members--both old and new--than you.

B. When you, the original poster, reply/respond after virtually EVERY post, you look combative, unwilling to listen, read or learn and we've learned over the years to gradually begin ignoring such members.

C. This is a public forum and everyone has more than their right to an opinion and to their thoughts and observations.

D. We've also learned over the years that what constitutes "cleaning" or "mold prep" or "alloy composition/temp" to new casters is often quite different than what it constitutes to some who have been casting for over thirty or forty years.

E. Sniping back with comments of (paraphrasing) "Try reading the original post and comprehending, won't ya" ain't gonna get you anywhere except on a list.

I've used that exact same mold, way more than once, and had one of the same issues you had. The solution to it has already been posted here. But since you seem to already have it figured out, go ahead and give the mold back to your neighbor and keep convincing yourself it's the problem.

Not sure how you come up with these statements, however, you are out of line. You have a great day as well, sir.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    No problem. I understand the feeling, I despise Lee BP pots. But they work way too well for way too many other people to say they are junk. You just found one that wouldn't work for you.

I've found the older Lymans easier to work with than the new ones.
    This mold does have some years on it. It's a single cavity and I could not begin to guess the age of it. I know my neighbor said he has not used it in at least 15+ years. But like I said, the .44 blocks that were on the handles before I took them off to install the 38 blocks worked great and they are of the same age as the 38's. These 38 blocks are just awful.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HangFireW8 View Post
    I don't see that you tried inspecting for burrs or lapping. Maybe u did but I didn't see it mentioned.

HF
    Yes sir, did all that too.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by happy7 View Post
    First off, iron and aluminum just cast different. When I was a new caster, I started with Lee. I got pretty comfortable casting with a Lee mold. Then I got my first Lyman. It was a learning curve. The first few times I cast with it were not too successful. But then the first few times with a Lee weren't too successful either.

Now I cast more bullets a day than probably most here cast in month. And I have dozens of both Lyman and Lee molds. For someone who has only cast with a few molds, it not possible to make accurate generalizations about a certain brand of mold. I have had issues with all brands of mold, even the hallowed H&G. I will also say that issues with either Lyman or Lee molds are not unusual, but normal. In fact, I can't say that of the over 100 molds I have that I have had many cast really well the first time. Again, the question is not what brand, but how good a mold is it. Now, I am not saying that some brands are not generally better than others. But if you get a good one, take care of it. Like an accurate firearm, a really good mold is a treasure. Some give good bullets easily, and others require more technique and work. A really well working mold is a real joy to use.

Bottom line is: Give me a GOOD mold from either brand. I have had bad Lee molds and I have had bad lyman molds. Sometimes I can work with them and make them good. Sometimes I have to give up and get something else. Having used different types of aluminum and iron and brass, I will say that I will pay more for a well cut iron mold for really good bullets. For really cranking out bullets in a hurry, give me a good Lee six cavity. Too bad they don't make an eight cavity!

When I can't get a mold to work right, I spend some quality time here on Cast Boolits with the search engine. Odds are that within a short time you will find an assortment of ideas, one or a combination of which will have you casting great bullets in short order. In the case of the base not filling out, if the mold is really clean, then cutting a v into the parting line to make a vent at the top of the mold will usually cure the problem. Of course you can't do this to your neighbors mold, but it works very well. Pressure casting is also another solution, and you should fill till you see lead jumping back up out of the mold. I am guessing that this is quite possibly your problem, due to the smaller holes in the Lyman sprue plate. Also make sure the sprue is big enough. These are just some of the possible solutions.

As far as the lead sticking to the mold, I have never ever seen this happen with an iron mold. With brass, yes, but not with iron. Or do you mean the face of the mold? That is different, but will happen with any type mold. But not in the cavities. If you mean the bullets are sticking, then the mold may have picked up some burs or imperfections.

The handles on the Lyman one and two cavity molds, the older style, are among my favorites. They open wider, and are quicker to use than the Lee. You can manipulate them one handed, and anytime I find a good deal on them, I snap them up.
    This I understand as well, but, these are steel blocks. Not sure where the iron came from you're referring to.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by happy7 View Post
    First off, iron and aluminum just cast different. When I was a new caster, I started with Lee. I got pretty comfortable casting with a Lee mold. Then I got my first Lyman. It was a learning curve. The first few times I cast with it were not too successful. But then the first few times with a Lee weren't too successful either.

Now I cast more bullets a day than probably most here cast in month. And I have dozens of both Lyman and Lee molds. For someone who has only cast with a few molds, it not possible to make accurate generalizations about a certain brand of mold. I have had issues with all brands of mold, even the hallowed H&G. I will also say that issues with either Lyman or Lee molds are not unusual, but normal. In fact, I can't say that of the over 100 molds I have that I have had many cast really well the first time. Again, the question is not what brand, but how good a mold is it. Now, I am not saying that some brands are not generally better than others. But if you get a good one, take care of it. Like an accurate firearm, a really good mold is a treasure. Some give good bullets easily, and others require more technique and work. A really well working mold is a real joy to use.

Bottom line is: Give me a GOOD mold from either brand. I have had bad Lee molds and I have had bad lyman molds. Sometimes I can work with them and make them good. Sometimes I have to give up and get something else. Having used different types of aluminum and iron and brass, I will say that I will pay more for a well cut iron mold for really good bullets. For really cranking out bullets in a hurry, give me a good Lee six cavity. Too bad they don't make an eight cavity!

This what it is boiling down to. I even walked away and came back and gave it a fresh attempt. Same results. I use all of my other molds and these steel blocks on the Lyman and they all work great, this one 38 mold is just not doing it.

When I can't get a mold to work right, I spend some quality time here on Cast Boolits with the search engine. Odds are that within a short time you will find an assortment of ideas, one or a combination of which will have you casting great bullets in short order. In the case of the base not filling out, if the mold is really clean, then cutting a v into the parting line to make a vent (this is what got me to the point of loosening the sprue plate screw enough to hold it up enough to try to remove the air pocket at the top if there was one, but, it didn't matter) at the top of the mold will usually cure the problem. Of course you can't do this to your neighbors mold, but it works very well. Pressure casting is also another solution, and you should fill till you see lead jumping back up out of the mold. I am guessing that this is quite possibly your problem, due to the smaller holes in the Lyman sprue plate. Also make sure the sprue is big enough. These are just some of the possible solutions.

As far as the lead sticking to the mold, I have never ever seen this happen with an iron mold. With brass, yes, but not with iron. Or do you mean the face of the mold? That is different, but will happen with any type mold. But not in the cavities. If you mean the bullets are sticking, then the mold may have picked up some burs or imperfections.

The handles on the Lyman one and two cavity molds, the older style, are among my favorites. They open wider, and are quicker to use than the Lee. You can manipulate them one handed, and anytime I find a good deal on them, I snap them up.
    However. I appreciate the replies and ideas from the guys willing to offer help, but, it's now headed toward being off topic at this point.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Recluse View Post
    Bret,

Some friendly advice from an old-timer. . .

Just so we're clear. "Snot-nosed manner" was not intended. If you'll notice, the reply was ended with a "?" It appeared as though the reply was posted without actually reading the previous threads, therefore, I just wanted ask if he actually read my previous statement, it did not appear so from his reply. If you took it as a snot-nosed comment, you're forgiven sir.

Also, I am not new casting bullets, I am however getting back in to the hobby, so please, do not assume I have been doing this only since tomorrow.

In Remembrance
    My wife and I were at this parade one Saturday morning. It was on Main Street in our small town and the local high school band was marching in it.

Watching the band come marching down the street, our neighbor turned to my wife and said, "Why would you look at that? Everyone in that band is marching out of step except for my little Johnny."

*Sigh*

Last edited by Recluse; 01-16-2012 at 03:17 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have had a great single cavity Lyman 358156 that convinced me that the design of the bullet is worth having around. If you feel the same way inspite of your experience with a problem mold, I suggest that you get on the group buy from Mihec. He builds a very fine mold. You can have it built the way YOU want it.

Saugus, in the State of Socialist Republic of California.
    This isn't worth my time.
    I have a Lyman single on Lee commercial handles.
    Casts beautiful boolits!

Bring to mind the adage about glass hammers and broken anvils...
    God Bless America!

Sittin here watchin the world go round and round...
    Much like a turd in a flushing toilet.

Shoot for the eyes.
    If they are crawlin away, shoot for the key hole.

NRA Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Magnificent!
    The basic flaw with Science is man.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnypie View Post
    This isn't worth my time.
    I have a Lyman single on Lee commercial handles.
    Casts beautiful boolits!

Bring to mind the adage about glass hammers and broken anvils...
    So what you're saying is, I need to put Lee handles on this Lyman mold so the basses will come out flat and level ? I knew I missed something. The dang handles is the problem. LMAO

Saugus, in the State of Socialist Republic of California.
    What I'm saying is you are having a tantrum because you borrow somebodies mold, then damn the mold and company that makes it, including the handles.
    Quite obviously others don't have the troubles you are.
    Nor do they continue to carry on with nonsense like you do.
    So take a look in the mirror, there is the problem with the mold.

If you knew sh!t from Sh!nola, you would have worked with it, and around it.
    You might even have called the guy you borrowed it from.
    But Noooo....
    Do you even know what carp you were dumping into it? Or was it just a conglomeration of carp you gathered up?

You are an idiot. Not hard to see that.
    Be careful, you appear to be capable of shooting yourself in the foot.
    It won't be the guns fault.
    God Bless America!

Sittin here watchin the world go round and round...
    Much like a turd in a flushing toilet.

Shoot for the eyes.
    If they are crawlin away, shoot for the key hole.

NRA Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Magnificent!
    The basic flaw with Science is man.

OK how fast and who wants the first point infraction here on this thread? I have not met my quota yet this month! In other words knock it off...
    Moderating is a responsibility not a privilege, abuse your power and you lose, no matter how powerful you may think you are.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonnypie View Post
    What I'm saying is you are having a tantrum because you borrow somebodies mold, then damn the mold Yes buddy, I damned the mold, not the company, read the thread... and company that makes it, including the handles.

Quite obviously others don't have the troubles you are. True this is, otherwise I would not be posting wonder if it's me or the mold... read the thread

Nor do they continue to carry on with nonsense like you do. whatever that means, ok, you win.

So take a look in the mirror, there is the problem with the mold.

If you knew sh!t from Sh!nola, you would have worked with it, and around it. I tried everything ding dong... read the thread.

You might even have called the guy you borrowed it from.
    But Noooo....
    Do you even know what carp you were dumping into it? Or was it just a conglomeration of carp you gathered up? No carp harmed in this casting, just a few lead ingots and some goldfish.

You are an idiot. Not hard to see that. Thank You ?
    Be careful, you appear to be capable of shooting yourself in the foot. It won't be the guns fault. no sir, it won't be the guns fault because according to your math it will be the stocks fault. After all the your Lee handles make your Lyman molds pour better, correct ?
    Now. Where were we.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by fishhawk View Post
    OK how fast and who wants the first point infraction here on this thread? I have not met my quota yet this month! In other words knock it off...
    I do not wish for any infractions to be given to any of them. I hold no grudges against their attacks. I'm sorry if they jump to assumptions and want to make unprovoked attacks, but, I won't stand by and let them have free shots when they are wrong. It's all good on my end. I am walking away before the fire gets too hot.

Again, I appreciate the intelligent replies from those of you who provided them.

They know the rules and if they chose to ignore them they know the consequences. And I will give infractions if the attacks continue. steve k
    Moderating is a responsibility not a privilege, abuse your power and you lose, no matter how powerful you may think you are.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast