RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Lyman 428434?

Boolit Man

Lyman 428434?

I have been looking for a .44 mould, and I was offered a 'Lyman double cavity 428434' for a 200 grain RFN. I have been researching this mould number without success. Is anyone aware of this bullet, and might have a picture of this bullet?
    Thanks.

Boolit Grand Master

I don't believe that there is any such Lyman number. Double check the side of the mold and see what it really says.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    PROBABLY now listed as 429434. My ratty old LYMAN cast bullet handbook from the 60s or 70s shows it as a round nose flat point gas check boolit "designed for the 44/40." My booklet also says it will cast at about .431. This mould shows up occasionally of eBay...no idea when it was dropped from the catalog...it may be older than you are! I have the current LYMAN 427666...pretty close, but plain base. It shoots low in fixed sight guns like my VAQUEROS....as would 429434.

I have a couple of IDEAL moulds that list the boolit number of 429244 as 431244; others likewise. A lot of 44/40 boolits were/are listed as 427, but cast to .430/431.

Last edited by EDK; 01-12-2012 at 05:55 PM. Reason: addl

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    429434 was carried in Ideal/Lyman manuals #31 thru #43. Probably from late 20's, my copy of #43 is dated 1964.

Boolit Master

It's a 429434. I've seen some marked 428 as well. It's a RFN GC and mine according to my notes runs 242 grains w/check.

I've owned several and mine have been marginally undersized./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Man
    Thanks for all of the input. I have asked the seller to send me a picture or two of the mold blocks and hopefully some pictures as well. For his original offer price, I want to make sure that something I am ordering on line is what I really want. As I said, I did as much research on-line as I could, but without success. I do have an older Lyman manual at home (currently overseas without such resources), which might have some reference to this mold, now that you identify it as an older item.
    I will let you know if I get any better information from the seller.

Al,
    I believe that bullet was originally listed at 220 grs. I have that mold and bullets from it weigh 235 grs. It appears to have a wider meplat than the catalog pics I have seen which would account for the heavier weight.

w30wcf
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F. Cartridge Historian

Boolit Man
    That is good to know, as I am really looking for something in the 200 grain range. I already own the 429241, as well as the Lee 240 gr SWC with gas check.

Al,

Accurate molds has a couple of gc bullets in the 200-210 gr range.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=43-200B-D.png

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=43-210M-D.png

w30wcf
    aka w44wcf
    aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
    aka John Kort
    NRA Life Member
    .22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F. Cartridge Historian

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_sway View Post
    That is good to know, as I am really looking for something in the 200 grain range. I already own the 429241, as well as the Lee 240 gr SWC with gas check.
    You may wanna consider the Lee 200g RNFP. Very nice design for use in .44 mag lever action rifles as well as light loads for handguns.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Man
    Well I got the pictures from the seller, and it is an Ideal, labelled 428434. The picture of the cavities show a Round Flat Nose, gas checked bullet. No pictures of bullets, nor weight as cast, but since I did not want a gas check, I have declined the offer. No other nibbles, so I will see about ordering a Lee 200 grain RFN, plain base. Hopefully this will feed well in a .44 Magnum case out of a new Rossi Model 92.

Boolit Master
    The 429434 is a good one for someone who has a .44-40 lever rifle and wants a boolit closer to the 250-grain weight of designs like the 429421. It fits and crimps in the shell the same way as the 42798 design, so the extra weight isn't out in the nose and the loaded round will still be short enough to cycle through the action.

The Ideal 428434 is just a gas checked version of the 42498 & 42499HP. Later they increased the diameter a bit to accommodate the gun manufactures larger barrel diameters and renumbered them to 42798 & 429434. Both of them and the 42499HP I have run from 200 to 215 grains.
    N.R.A. Life Member

Boolit Bub

When you can't find information any where else on the entire planet. ..

Here is a virtual wealth of it

Thanks!
    "The rifle is a weapon. Let there be no mistake about that. It is a tool of power, and thus dependent completely upon the moral stature of its user. It is equally useful in securing meat for the table, destroying group enemies on the battlefield, and resisting tyranny. In fact, it is the only means of resisting tyranny, since a citizenry armed with rifles simply cannot be tyrannized."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

Boolit Buddy
    I have a 429434 HP. Have not used it yet. Looks like a decent boolit.