Snyders JerkyRepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Faster Buckshot loads!

Boolit Master

Did da man say hogs? At work but get back to you soon...
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Quote Originally Posted by dg31872 View Post
    I have been hanging around here for a few years mostly with handguns and rifles.
    Last month I got a Mossberg in 20 gauge that I would like to load buckshot.
    I have learned more in a short time reading here than I ever cold have reading loading books, although I have several of those on order too.
    I may ask a beginner question or two, I am mostly interested in loads for close and fast interactions with hogs.

dg31872,

Follow the buckshot advice from hogtamer and blood trail and you will do fine.

BB

Boolit Master
    I have a lot to learn.
    Most of my close interactions with hogs are at night and they give me a few seconds before they scatter. Put a laser grip on a SP101 and once got a shot holding the Gator steering wheel with my left and holding the SP101 in the right. Was successful but there are more hogs needing my attention.
    Hence the scattergun.

Boolit Master

Have you loaded shotshells before? Are you planning on casting your own pellets? what kind of chokes does your fun have? The reason I ask is that is if you're starting from scratch it can be a little pricey. I can give you a good #1 buck load that's very good to 30 yds, ok at 40 out of modified choke in 2 3/4" straight wall plastic base hulls. That's pushing it for a 20 ga. buck/hogshot IMO. Don't want to discourage you, Just that I load all manner of shotgun loads and love the process. Not everybody does.
    Lord knows I love hog hunting too! Below a real triple in about 10 seconds with my 12 ga load last month.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	130.7 KB 
ID:	233301
    Leonard Ravenhill

I would be interested in your load hogtamer.
    I have been trying to get something to work in my 20 gauge with my .311" round balls.

Boolit Master

Ginsing, I will review my loads I worked up, shoot some I've got loaded, and work through with you over the next week or so. It's derived from some BPI info but not pressure tested and involves L'il Gun pwder. To start weigh several batches of random 10 pellets and see what you get...should be aproximately one ounce??? HT

PS That pit in your avatar knows what to do with pigs!
    Leonard Ravenhill

I weighed up 10 batches randomly.
    Looks like 447 grains average. 1.02oz

My boy isn't a pitty he is an American bandogge (American bulldog x mastiff) I have no doubt he would do good against pigs. He is absolutely fearless when it comes to other animals. However he is the cowardly lion when it comes to gun shots

Boolit Master

close enough to an ounce, nice. I love shotguns but am always leary of the dentist where I am waiting just now.
    Leonard Ravenhill

Banned
    Greetings, there is a lot of good old buck shot loading information from a lot of good folks here.
    Regards,
    Ajay K. Madan
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 08-22-2020 at 12:08 PM.

Banned
    Greetings, with all this rioting, burning of America that Buck shot is what we really need all the more.
    The terrorists are planning the biggest siege of White House.
    Load them by 200 to 300 rounds and like the heading says " Faster Buck Shot Loads "

Make love, but Prepare for war. Buy your loved ones a nice perfume like " Estee Lauder's Modern Muse Le Rouge "
    You don't know how lucky you are to have her by your side.
    Ask the ones who lost their loved ones how lonely they feel in times like this !

**--** If you happen to have money in the bank collecting " Dust " and giving you 5 or 10 cents interest then pull it out and buy AT&T stocks " T " and start earning devidends 7 % and guess what it pays most of my bills when my SS fails as we don't get raises or COLA.

Best regards,
    Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots

Boolit Buddy
    Yes, things are goofy right now Ajay. I'm more concerned about the ammo shortage though...hence the reloading.
    I wouldn't get too excited though, our country has seen worse and come through intact. Bad times will come around again, sure as rain.
    Remember, it's just an election. There will be another one in 4 years.
    If you dont go looking for trouble, you probably won't find any.
    That's always worked for me.

Remember, fast buckshot don’t always mean tight patterning buckshot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Trail View Post
    Remember, fast buckshot don’t always mean tight patterning buckshot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ^^^^Truer words were never spoken! More is not always better!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Banned
    Greetings, I tried to put this information for you all to benefit, a lot of good stuff out there but all scattered around.
    Use it to your advantage.

Best regards,
    Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots

Banned
    Greetings my friends, we still have time to prepare if and when all hell breaks loose.
    Load up, far better to have and not need, than need and not have, you decide ! !

Learn to read pressure signs for safety, your safety is important !

Best regards,
    Ajay K. Madan
    Super Blazing Sabots
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 01-08-2021 at 01:28 PM.

OK I Called BPI yesterday to get some answers to some questions I have about reducing the Plastic Fouling in my Rifled barrels which degrades accuracy quickly? Like in 3-5 rounds!

He suggested the Mica Wad Slick Stuff might help, and since my last batch of Lyman Sabots loaded into STS hulls had that done to them during loading I am anxious to test them and see how they work?

My other question was Is there a source for Federal Flight Control Wads so we can extend the range of our buckshot loads. Not no, Hell no! Federal won't release any. However what they look like is a well known.

He suggested the TPS Wad, which I already have a bunch of. He also stated that they should produce 3" patterns at 50 yards!!!

My Retort was,,, "WOW !!!"

So I started fiddling with them and found they won't go into a STS or AA hull at all. However they fit nicely fit into a new Rio Primed Hull. they also hold 10ea .319 balls and weigh right at 1.135 oz or 1 1/8+oz.

I have some data for light loads with similar payloads using Green Dot and Unique, and I am going to load some up and see just how well they pattern. I'll start at 25 yds. and if it looks promising move to 50 and report back.

I have two Vang Comped barrels to test these in, as well as my Buck Special Barrel and a 18" cylinder bore barrel for the M500, so I should have a pretty good idea what is happening after all that.

Being able to generate a 3" pattern at 50 yards could be useful in the upcoming mayhem.

Just remember,,, It ain't over,,, til it's over!

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 01-09-2021 at 03:35 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

Randy, is it the unslit wads hat you are referring to?
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    OK I Called BPI yesterday to get some answers to some questions I have about reducing the Plastic Fouling in my Rifled barrels which degrades accuracy quickly? Like in 3-5 rounds!

He suggested the Mica Wad Slick Stuff might help, and since my last batch of Lyman Sabots loaded into STS hulls had that done to them during loading I am anxious to test them and see how they work?

My other question was Is there a source for Federal Flight Control Wads so we can extend the range of our buckshot loads. Not no, Hell no! Federal won't release any. However what they look like is a well known.

He suggested the TPS Wad, which I already have a bunch of. He also stated that they should produce 3" patterns at 50 yards!!!

My Retort was,,, "WOW !!!"

So I started fiddling with them and found they won't go into a STS or AA hull at all. However they fit nicely fit into a new Rio Primed Hull. they also hold 10ea .319 balls and weigh right at 1.135 oz or 1 1/8+oz.

I have some data for light loads with similar payloads using Green Dot and Unique, and I am going to load some up and see just how well they pattern. I'll start at 25 yds. and if it looks promising move to 50 and report back.

I have two Vang Comped barrels to test these in, as well as my Buck Special Barrel and a 18" cylinder bore barrel for the M500, so I should have a pretty good idea what is happening after all that.

Being able to generate a 3" pattern at 50 yards could be useful in the upcoming mayhem.

Just remember,,, It ain't over,,, til it's over!

Randy

Was that Jonathan from BPI? I wouldn't listen much to what he has to say. He doesn't have a lot of good advice. 3" patterns at 50 yards? Most of us call those slugs.

Many years ago on another forum, Handloadersbench I beleive, I did a test trying to duplicate the flite control wad back when they were a new thing. One of the wads I used was the multi-metal, which is basically a thicker version of the TPS. I found the biggest problem was slitting them accurately. The MM was very tough, but I did get it to work. I also tried another wad which worked better, although I can't quite remember what it was. Maybe VP70? I searched, but could not find the post.

Going by memory, I had mixed results. The MM wad produced some decent, but also some odd patterns. By that I mean sometimes it worked, and sometimes it didn't release clean, causing an oval shaped pattern. The other wad, I had more reliable results with, but patterns were no tighter than with normal slits. I believe the key to the flite control is the shuttlecock style tail. Without that, the wad will not fly straight enough. You can do as I did, and keep increasing the size of the petals until you have more or less defeated the purpose. With petals about the size that Federal uses on their, many of mine turned backwards in flight, and turned into slugs. Those pictures may still be lurking deep in my old photobucket account. I'll see if I can find them.

He wasn't very helpful on several questions I had about reducing plastic fouling in rifled barrels. I am trying the Mica Wad Slick stuff as it might have an effect and he agreed but wouldn't contribute anything else..

From What I have been able to find a Flight Control Wad looks like a TPS wad with three Windows/Flaps cut into the sides.

The flaps open after leaving the gun at some point after they have done their job of holding the payload together for longer.

The TPS wads I have are Un Slit but it is no big trick to cut them.

News Flash: I just Googled Flight Control Wads and found threads here by Blood Trail with all of the usual suspects contributing, but the thread deteriorated into a pissing match and no real results were posted.

Leon; can you comment on what you got out of your attempts to duplicate FC wads with buckshot using the TPS wads.

I can get really good buckshot patterns out of my Vang Comped Barrels, typically 7" at 25 yards and even better results from my Buck Special Barrel on the A5, more like 5" at 25 yards. Both of these make buckshot viable to 50 yards.

I was hoping to extend that or keep it tighter farther by using some kind of Flight Control System .

But apparently I'm not the only one who has gone down this road. Hate reinventing the wheel.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

Hooray, I found them! I have not been on photobucket in quite a while. I'll post the pictures below. Unfortunately I do not have any notes from the day. I can't even remember the loads I used. I do know I used steel shot in the Multi Metal wad, and lead shot in whatever the other one is. I did try different wad petal sizes and shapes, but the pictured ones were apparently the most successful style. Notice that I used petals about twice the size that Federal uses. Federal flitecontrol wads use comparatively tiny petals, but a huge shuttlecock base, which I will also picture. Also take a look at some the copy cats like Winchester and Browning. Winchester uses smaller yet petals in a triangle shape. Browning pretty much just puts a slit in there, no petals at all. All I can remember from my experiments are that my patterns were underwhelming. I apparently did not see any reason to continue down that path. I seem to remember shooting one of them slit with 3 normal slits, providing the best patterns of the day.

In short, I concluded the shuttlecock base is all the magic of the flite control wad. Without it, you can only at best match patterns that you can get with standard slits.

Last edited by megasupermagnum; 01-10-2021 at 08:19 PM.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast