Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: None HP expanding boolits

None HP expanding boolits

Hey guys Im new and honestly havent even casted my first boolit yet...though i do have every thing waiting on me at home to start (i work in the gulf and stay gone from home for long periods of time). Hopefully i can get the wealth of knowledge ive gained here to show in my soon to be fresh warm shiny boolits!

Anyways, i found a round the really interests me and dont know if any one has tried to duplicate it yet. If not, i want to! and i have an awesome idea to try. Its the Federal Guard Dog ammo.

So before i make a fool of myself with outlandish ideas. i wanted to know if any one has tried it yet.

Banned

never heard of it.
    welcome to the sight.
    if it expands,rolls back,penetrates, mimics a nosler partition, or just mushes the nose.
    i'd bet a dollar it's been done with lead,and can be read about here.

here a pic

Boolit Grand Master
    HERE is Federal's press release.

Many shooters are making their own soft point bullets by pouring a measured amount of hard alloy into the mold then following it with a softer alloy or pure lead. I don't know if the expansion is as dramatic as those pictured but it does make for an expanding non HP bullet. There should be several discussion on the methods for doing that on this site.

Yeah ive read most of those including making synthetic tips... just thought making something more like this would add another notch to the casters belt... im typing up my idea and trying to make a few drawings to explain just wanted to see if anyone has done it first...

Boolit Master
    Welcome to the forum!!!! As far as rifle rounds go, 50/50 purl / clip on WW's work great! Just like a Premium soft point j-word. For most pistol, straight range scrap water quenched has worked well for me. Even my 45 acp expands and since it is soft, it sluggs up the bore nicely. The folks here (save a few) are a group of great people and are always willing to help. Anyone here will return PM's within a day or so usually and are flattered when they are asked to help. I actually am still new and I consider it an honor to be asked. So, whatever you need or have a question about, feel free to post in forum or ask by PM. Either way, WELCOME! WELCOME! WELCOME!
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Master
    As far as your origional post goes, I am not sure that you are going to get lead to hold together like thos jacketed rounds. I think the nose would shear quickly, but I dont KNOW that. Interesting to think about, though!
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Caster View Post
    Hey guys Im new and honestly havent even casted my first boolit yet...though i do have every thing waiting on me at home to start (i work in the gulf and stay gone from home for long periods of time). Hopefully i can get the wealth of knowledge ive gained here to show in my soon to be fresh warm shiny boolits!

Anyways, i found a round the really interests me and dont know if any one has tried to duplicate it yet. If not, i want to! and i have an awesome idea to try. Its the Federal Guard Dog ammo.

So before i make a fool of myself with outlandish ideas. i wanted to know if any one has tried it yet.

Caster -

This thinking will get you burned. Those things are NOT warm. They are HOT. They stay hot for a long time. You should have tweezers or gloves to pick them up or move them around for at least five to ten minutes after they are dropped. ( Unless you are water dropping them. )

Don't know about that ammo. I only buy .22LR I make all the rest.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by williamwaco View Post
    Caster -

This thinking will get you burned. Those things are NOT warm. They are HOT. They stay hot for a long time. You should have tweezers or gloves to pick them up or move them around for at least five to ten minutes after they are dropped. ( Unless you are water dropping them. )
    Come on i dont look that dumb do i? lol

yeah i know there are alot of other good ways to expand a bullet but i like thinking outside the box. im probably just going to have to do it and then see what people think about it... only problem is i need 45 hp mold that i can modify even if not in good shape. might just have to get a lee then home mod to hp and go from there...

Ohh and thanks airborne! my grandfather was in the 101st WWII

Banned

try 30-1 alloy with a gas check and some glue stick,or airsoft bb in the hollow point.
    should mimic that easily enough.
    or look at the swaging section for the 40 to 44 boolits.

Boolit Master

...If not, i want to! and i have an awesome idea to try. Its the Federal Guard Dog ammo...
    I think if you duplicate that design by casting, you will have made a major accomplishment.

I read the press release, studied the photos, and looked at the ballistic numbers.

Let the speculation begin:

EFMJ stands for Expanding Full Metal Jacket. They state the bullet is "filled with an expanding polymer". My guess is the inner surface of the jacket is scored or otherwise made thinner along part of the ogive to control petal formation. The nose is like much thicker than normal, so the petals don't extent all the way forward, holding everything together. the core squishes and the jacket holds it together.

Note the light for caliber weights and high velocities due to a lot of plastic instead of lead alloy.

I think you can duplicate the expansion and weight retention with appropriate alloy.

Boolit Grand Master

In some idiot places, like NJ, hollowpoints are ILLEGAL. What a laugh. Fools don't want to
    hurt the bad guys.

In any case, for the folks living in that place, this is the best that they can do. Smart
    engineering to get around stupid, lowlife politicians.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

yeah iron mike, i was hoping to accomplish it without fmj (might not be as pretty)...i beleive with the right alloy (like you said) and a specific shaped polymer encapsulated in it it could work ...

MtGun44, its only illegal to buy/sell in those states not cast right?

Boolit Grand Master

yeah iron mike, i was hoping to accomplish it without fmj (might not be as pretty)...i beleive with the right alloy (like you said) and a specific shaped polymer encapsulated in it it could work ...

MtGun44, its only illegal to buy/sell in those states not cast right?
    Humm, I don't think you will successfully "encapsulate" polymer in molten lead. I'd guess you would need to combine some cast HP boolits and a nose swaging operation together to get that effect.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Why not just ust a HP bullet of the correct hardness at the correct velocity range for that hardness that has been proven to work for many many years?

Read this: http://www.lasc.us/FryxellCastHollowPoints.htm

357 158gr LSWC-HP 94 lead 4 tin & 2 antimony 10.5-11 BHN
    Here`s what it does at 1250fps in a wet sand test… 0.64" or 1.78X expansion

Last edited by youngda9; 01-12-2012 at 02:56 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I think mere possession of a HP loaded round is a crime, but I stay away from NJ
    as much as I possibly can, so I could be wrong.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

haha Bill i have family in NJ! and i feel the same way!

for both swaging and hp you definitely wont be able to hold the nose together like the guard dog but there maybe a possibility to do it with the right hardness alloy (even if its not FMJ)

And as far why id like to try this and not just us HP, is simple because it hasnt been tried yet ( by casters that is). also, for those people that want to cast a hp boolit but live in NJ.... lol
    And for guns that have trouble feeding HP rounds

Wayne, i think you could encapsulate the polymer if the lead solidifies just fast enough to hold it in place before it melts. if it does melt in its new hot lead capsule it will just reharden back to orignal shape when the entire boolit cools...

PS does anyone know anyone that has a crappy old HP mold they like to donate for testing...preferable in 452, so if i was able to make one i could try it out

Banned

i have a bt-sniper swage set, but with the older hand made notcher which preprograms the 40 case to peel back much like shown.
    i bond the alloy to the jacket.
    and by changing the alloy, i can control the speed with which it opens.
    i can make it into either a hollow or flat point.
    the same thing can be done to cast boollts, and by swaging up other calibers a gas check can be added [i use a 245 gr 38-55 boolit and a 44 cal gas check]
    brian makes a 45 version also.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast