WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Hunters, where do you aim? Head or heart?

Hunters, where do you aim? Head or heart?

Hunters, where do you aim for deer?
    I was taught to aim for the head. It kills the animal faster and saves meat.?? But most hunters I know shoot for the heart and lung area. Even at very close range. Why?

How about wild pig? Head or heart? I know they have a heavy bone plate in their chest area.

Boolit Master

I try and Head Shoot everything...Fast and efficient. Despite Internet rumor, Bullets do not bounce off Grizzly Bear heads !

Rich
    You Know You Might Be Facing your DOOM , if all you get is a click, Instead of a BOOM !

If God had wanted us to have Plastic gun stocks he would have planted plastic Trees !

Boolit Buddy
    I'm a lung shooter. Not much meat on the ribbs of deer. I have taken some head and just under the chin shots on antelope, but they were relatively close shots with a good rest. I like the larger kill zone of the lungs, and the taste of heart. I have lung shot two pigs, they had some shield but nothing to worry about. You may come across a larger one though.

Boolit Grand Master

The head is the part of the body that moves alot and in a greater range. The heart lung area is a much larger vital zone and is more stable. Even if you shoot high and back you will most likely take out the liver or hit the spine.
    If you are sure of the range and the animal is still a head shot can be done. You will need to know exactly where your bullet hits and know the range. If you miss the brain area and hit the jaw the animal will most likely run off quite a ways and may or may not be found.

The vital zone on an elk is about 16" not including the liver or spine, versus about 6" to 8" in the head.

Each hunter needs to make their own determination on the shot they will take.

That's a contentious point, head shots. The head is big but the vital spot - the brain, is small. A near hit could mean a broken jaw which is a lost deer which then starves to death. Not saying one shouldn't do it but that one does need to have his act together to be successful with it. For moderate speed cast or j-words, shoulder shots don't cost huge amounts of meat loss. Only the boolit hole itself. If I'm shooting rabbits for the pot I try for head shots because they bruise so much but hare's get the more reliable chest shot. My vote goes to shoulder shot.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Buddy

For antlered game, I aim at the lung/heart area, because I also mount the antlers. For doe/cow, head shot for sure, because it's meat hunting.

Boolit Buddy

I should also add, for bunnies it's always the head. Either a clean hit or clean miss. I can always come back for more bunnies, unlike deer/elk/antelope, they may be a one time chance.

Boolit Grand Master

Depends on the range and angle of the animal. I usually try for the head shot but if not presented then I'll go for the point of the shoulder shot.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Buddy
    That depends if it's a nice buck heart lung shot,doe head shot.I sometimes hit them where the neck meets the body they drop in there tracks. So it really depends on the situation

Boolit Master
    Mostly hear/lung area. Most margin for error when Mr. Murphy shows up. The head moves around too much for my liking.

Boolit Grand Master
    Aim for the headlights!

Boolit Master
    Just an Ol'Coot's opinion, but ------------

Head shots, "IF" properly made are effective, however there are just to many posibilities of an injured animal that gets away to die a slow death.

As already said, the head is small and the first part of the critter to move and move quickly. All in all, a poor choice considering the wellfair of the animal.

Lung shots - behind the shoulders - are, whenever possible, the better choice. VERY little wasted meat and the largest portion of the "kill zone" with the least meat damage.

You may hit the heart with this shot, but a double lung shot is very quick and effective even if the heart is not hit.

You can hit high in the kill zone, or low and the effect is the same. Dead Critter!

If we are talking critters that offer the possibility of biting back, break em down! Other then that, the above info applies.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Master
    The only time I take a head shot on a deer or elk is if that is all I can see clearly, it is the only one I think I will get, and it is within 40 yards. Otherwise, heart lung shots are the best.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I consider a head shot irresponsible. As was mentioned, too many opportunities to wound and not kill. I've seen too many deer with a jaw shot off, or a hole through the wind pipe.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Banned

I shoot whatever part of the animal presents itself that I feel comfortable and confident enought to place the bullet where it needs to go to effectively kill my quarry.

Head, neck, heart, lungs, whatever it takes to get my deer.

Boolit Master
    Texas heart shots here, with my super hard cast, 600 grain sodbuster granite slammers with carbide serrated hollowpoints. Even when I miss the deer faint dead away, or die from the wind as it passes by. I have a buddy that just eats chili when hunting. I have a theory he is trying to gas deer and save ammo.
    Lotta people die in bed: Dangerous place to be!

Boolit Buddy
    I am with Blammer! What ever is the best shot for the situation. My prefered shot is a sholder shot. If at an extreme angle I want the bullet to exit or enter where the neck meets the shoulder. This is a devestating raking shot.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Hunters, where do you aim for deer?
    I was taught to aim for the head. It kills the animal faster and saves meat.?? But most hunters I know shoot for the heart and lung area. Even at very close range. Why?

How about wild pig? Head or heart? I know they have a heavy bone plate in their chest area.
    bigger target
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

When I get onto a deer I'll tell you. [sigh]

I used to exclusively head shoot bunnies with my .22RF but that was when I was single and used to hunt LOTS. A bit rusty these days and chest shots suffice.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Well, Karen, you have sure gotten a range of views with a simple question. The answers you've gotten reveal more of the responders than perhaps they are always aware of.

1. I assume as a 'given' that none of us are sadistic monsters who want to inflict unnecessary pain on an animal.

For small game such as squirrels or rabbits, with a rifle, the power of the weapon, even a solid point .22 rimfire, is so great relative to the animal, and ranges are so close, head shots are far and away the best way to efficiently kill the animal while minimizing wasted meat. None of us dispute that, I believe.

Problems arise with larger animals at longer ranges. Under these circumstances, animal movements become so unpredictable that head shots are no longer wise, in my opinion.
    Please remember, #1 above. I am trying to kill the animal as humanely as possible, and shooting off the nose or jaw of a deer isn't very humane, to my view. The little wasted meat in the ribs of a lung shot is insignificant, death is sure.
    The 'bottom line' - I'm not starving to death, if I turn down a borderline lung shot and lose the opportunity to get the pig, elk or whatever, the world will not end, my ego will not be destroyed.
    Flintlock, Round Ball & Black Powder - Life is Sweet

Caution Notice on powder container - "Be certain no embers are smoldering in the barrel before reloading" - SO I ALWAYS BLOW DOWN THE BARREL AFTER FIRING! Its easier than wet swabbing.

NMLRA - 'Not Muzzle Loaders Really Anymore'!

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast