Load DataReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLee Precision
WidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Repackbox

Thread: Lee #4 Buck mould - Any good?

Boolit Mold

Lee #4 Buck mould - Any good?

I am looking to load #4 buck loads for varmints (Coyotes, Foxes, and Bobcats). I am looking for folks who have used the lee 18 cavity mould for #4 buck and thier results/opinions. Second I am thinking of using a 2 3/4 load for this instead of 3". I a, wondering if anyone has done any of these and again their results/opinions.

Thanks

Boolit Master

sky's is better

Quote Originally Posted by shotman View Post
    sky's is better
    How so? i was just looking at buck molds yesterday and trying to decide between the Lee and the sharpshooter. I will probably end up trying both at some point, but will probably just get the sharpshooter in #0 first. Isn't the sharpshooter molds just a blank do-it sinker mold cherried for balls? they sure look just like my old sinker molds.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by UNIQUEDOT View Post
    How so? i was just looking at buck molds yesterday and trying to decide between the Lee and the sharpshooter. I will probably end up trying both at some point, but will probably just get the sharpshooter in #0 first. Isn't the sharpshooter molds just a blank do-it sinker mold cherried for balls? they sure look just like my old sinker molds.
    Well, I can tell you that he doesn't use a do-it blank...... Also, FWIW Sky's mold casts 20 at a pop, and when the mold is hot, they're all filled out well (I've heard that the Lee gets finicky with the bottom getting starved). If it makes a difference to you, there's only one sprue on every ball with the sharpshooter (probably not a deal-breaker, tumbled with no media and you can't find the sprue flat anyways......)

Dan

Boolit Buddy
    Sky's gets my vote also

Boolit Master
    I have the Lee. It is ok. It certainly does its job. Gotta run it hot, hot, hot. Can really turn out some buckshot though. Even my starved pellets get tumble lubed in a rock tumbler. I dont use any media or any lube. I have not loaded any shells yet, kinda waiting till after deer season. Should be a heck of a skunk killer though!!
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by steg View Post
    Sky's gets my vote also
    I agree too! I have 3 of them and I am a very happy customer. Plus he's a member here too, a very good gentleman to do business with.

G

Boolit Bub
    Let me know when you get that lee mold and we will cast up some shot and try it out!

Boolit Mold
    I will go with the sharpshooter usa mold. i have the 12 ga #00 and #0 buck molds. With both molds, you have to cut sprues after casting, but the sharpshooter molds give you 20 pellets a pass, as opposed to the lee's 18.

St762

Banned

only downside to the sharpshooter molds is youd best have a pair of gloves as the handles get plenty hot! I have no problems casting 00 with the lee but dont know how the #4 would work.

Boolit Master

I know a few people who have the 4 buck molds. they like and hate them. They were having a lot of trouble getting the lower part of the mold hot enough to make good shot.

Boolit Mold
    I can't speak to the #4, but I got the #000 for Christmas and couldn't be happier with it. No I just have to find a load for it...

I have the Lee 00 mold. During my second session I warped one of the blocks and it did not close tightly anymore. I clamped it together with an 8" C clamp and hit it with the MAPP torch. Now, it works fine.

I use a harder alloy, like Lyman #2. I get good fill out, but not great. I would say I have about %15 loss. It is almost always due to poor fillout in the MIDDLE ball though, not the last one???

Anyone have a link for the Sky molds web site? I could not find them in a prior web search.
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'