Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Claybuster 12S3 wads

Claybuster 12S3 wads

I've been haveing problems loading the Lee 1oz slugs into Fed and Fiocchi shells. I ordered a couple bags of the Claybuster equivalent Fed 12S3 wads, but they have ribs on the inside of the petals. This bulges the hull out when you load the slug. Do the name brand Fed 12S3 wads have this rib? Lee gives this wad in their loading data for their slugs in Fed hulls, so I figured it would work.
    Bring the smoke!

Banned
    Hello Mdr, the Fed 12S3 does not have any ribs, its always good to buy the original, I would not touch any equivalent, even if they are free!
    Happy New Year!
    Ajay
    Video Memories
    www.PreciousVideoMemories.com

The real Federal wads dont have the ribs on the inside of the petals --- at least they didnt the last time I buy them

I do use the claybusters 12S3 copy as well but only when cutting of th petals and using it as gas seal and crush section combo under full barrel diameter slugs --- I would suggest all of you to NEVER use the "Downrange" copy of the 12S3 because the gas seal on bottom is not large like real Federal but smaller diameter like Winchester only with a heavy lip edge so it dont flair under presssure to seal like the winchester does --- Downrange 12S3 copy thus gets blowby around the wad and does not seal in any hull and doesnt work good for even just shot loads

Real Federal wads best --- Claybuster Fed copies good for shot loads or loads where you cut petals off (I mainly use for buckshot loads) --- Downrange Fed copies not good for anything not even shot loads
    Last edited by tommygirlMT; 01-10-2012 at 12:28 PM.

I would suggest all of you to NEVER use the "Downrange" copy of the 12S3 because the gas seal on bottom is not large like real Federal but smaller diameter like Winchester only with a heavy lip edge so it dont flair under presssure to seal like the winchester does --- Downrange 12S3 copy thus gets blowby around the wad and does not seal in any hull and doesnt work good for even just shot loads
    If you still have some of the downrange versions you can use them in tapered hulls with decent results. That's what i did with them til i found someone willing to take them off my hands. The claybuster copy actually has a better fitting gas seal than the federal, but the overall fit isn't as good and of course as you mentioned they are only useful for shot loads.

I personally won't buy any more federal copies whether they claim to be copies or they simply claim to be interchangeable as i have tried them all (that I'm aware of) and none of them come close to the real thing.

Boolit Buddy
    I Have ran into the same thing with the claybuster WAA12R replacements.

they are terrible for slug loads..
    A.F.A.M.

I got a thousand of the claybuster 12S3's now that I can't put slugs into. There's always 00 buckshot. Should have bought the Federals....
    Bring the smoke!

Thanks guys!
    Bring the smoke!