Load DataWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox

Thread: Tumble lube boolit for Enfield?

Boolit Mold

Tumble lube boolit for Enfield?

I'm trying to track down a tumble lube style mold for my Enfield. I want something in the 200 gr. range, GC. I've seen the NOE .314 205gr., which seems like a good way to go, but I'm wondering if such an animal exists with the Lee style micro bands.
    I would appreciate boolit recommendations along with "where to buy".

I've had some recent successes with pistol boolits, and this will be my first foray in to casting for a rifle, so let's keep comments simple, like you're talking to noobie.
    TANSTAAFL

In Remembrance

SGT Singer,
    While many cast boolit shooters seem to get by with Lee Liquid Alox as a boolit lube in rifle cartridges, My experience with many Lee Enfields seems to point ot the need for a wax-based lube that fills several lube grooves. Lube does more than simply lubricate the passage of the bullet down the bore. There is also the need to seal powder gas that is trying to escape down the trailing side of the grooves. LLA won't do in this situation but a 50/50 Alox/Bee's Wax lube will. Personally my preference after many years of experimenting is LBT's "Blue" lube. Simply the best in my estimation. On the other hand, a light coating of LLA on a bore ride nose in addition to a wax-base lube in the lube-grooves has given near-match results when unlubed noses gave mediocre accuracy.

If you are new to cast boolits in the Lee Enfield, check out my article on www.303british.com: http://www.303british.com/id37.html
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails No1MkIIItarget.jpg  

Moderator Emeritus
    As far as I know Lee are the only mould makers to do the tumble lube design moulds.

Boolits don't need to have that lube design to use Xlox, it can be applied to ordinary lube groove boolits.

The Lee 7.62 x 39 boolits are sometimes worth a try in the 303.

Lee for me always seems to cast undersize, you really need to slug your rifle to get the throat and groove diameters so that you know what you are looking for in mould size.

Personally I've never found Xlox to work well over 1200 fps so don't use it for rifle rounds over that velocity. My personal choice would be White Label Lubes.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Master
    +1 either of the Lee AK-47 bullets. The 160 grain is a micro-groove bullet. Mine drops at around .312.
    I recommend using your local gun shop. Barring that, Midwayusa or Natchezss.

I get excellent results with the Lee TL160-2R in 30-40 Krag and 30-06. My 1896 Krag and new Howa 30-06 both like boolits sized .310". No problem pushing them to 1800fps in the Krag and 2100fps in the Howa using IMR4350 topped with COW fill. I always do a final tumble with motor mica over the LLA which may help things out. You might be able to beagle that mold up to .314" for your Enfield. A useful mold in many .30cal rifles.
    Ten Bears; "You are the Grey Rider. You would not make peace with the bluecoats. You may go in peace."
    Josey Wales; "I reccon not."

Charlie Waite; "Men are gonna die here today, Sue, and I'm gonna kill them."

Boolit Mold
    As usual, such good advice! I hadn't really considered the type of lube/ velocity issue that dromia and curator raised. I kind of like to duplicate classic military loads correct for a given rifle, so I think for now (after all, I can only afford so many molds at a time) I think I'm going to stick to the 200+\- gr. range.
    I haven't slugged the rifle yet, but it's on the calendar. I just acquired about 10 lbs. of Lyman #2, which I figure would be good for rifle bullets. So the follow on question is (thinking that it's a lot easier to size down than up) which .314 bullet to go with?
    TANSTAAFL

In Remembrance

SGT Singer,

Check out this article on Steve Regwell's 303 british.com. Good info for shooting cast in the Lee Enfield.

http://www.303british.com/id37.html

Moderator Emeritus
    I re-iterate, good cast boolit practice dictates that you really need to get your throat/bore/groove dimensions before deciding on boolit diameter/shape.

What distances are you wanting to shoot at? as this will help decide on velocity and that will help inform lube and alloy needs.

With good boolit fit you do not need hard alloys, for target shooting out to 600 yrds I use range scrap BNH 10-12. I do have good boolit fit though. At higher velocities alloy malleability is more important than hardness.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Quote Originally Posted by dromia View Post
    As far as I know Lee are the only mould makers to do the tumble lube design moulds.
    Jim at CBE makes a tumble lube .303 boolit now.

http://www.castbulletengineering.com/page001.html

315 200TLGC
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Moderator Emeritus
    Good to know, unfortunately with the exchange rate and postage costs CBE moulds are no longer cost effective for me now.
    Last edited by dromia; 01-12-2012 at 02:18 AM.

Pukka Bundhooks

The Lee 180rn shoots very well in my No4Mk2. Their 200rn is no slouch either. Both have to beagle up for full .314" sizing. Neither are TL designs, have standard lube grooves....
    Ten Bears; "You are the Grey Rider. You would not make peace with the bluecoats. You may go in peace."
    Josey Wales; "I reccon not."

Charlie Waite; "Men are gonna die here today, Sue, and I'm gonna kill them."

Boolit Grand Master

If you want tumble lube grooves on a 200 gr. boolit just take a look at Accurate Molds .30 cal moulds:

http://accuratemolds.com/catalog.php?page=1

then pick a design from the eleven 200 grain moulds, choose diameter and tell Tom you want it in tumble lube groove style rather than conventional lube grooves.

He will make what you want and his service and quality are second to none.

I have an NOE 316299 (202 gr.) that is just right for my Lee Enfield with 0.315" throat and shoots well. I guess I would recommend a similar nose/bore rider style as they seem to work well in Enfields. Just remember that the .303 Brit has a relatively short neck so it looks like that narrows the field to Accurate:

- 31-200D
    - 31-200L
    - 31-200F
    - 31-200R
    - maybe 31-200G

PB designs can be had in GC version too.

Or you can design your own boolit for no extra cost.

Longbow

Boolit Master
    i have the NOE 316299 which i got specifically for my 303 maltby enfield ,
    haven't tried it yet but i have high hopes it'll do just fine.
    i gotta get up and moving on this one...
    i.m just sitting here watching the wheels go round and round..... i really love to watch them roll ,,,, J,W,L.

Boolit Master

try Accurate Molds 31-200L

I have and "American Enfield " In 30-06. When made it used the British rifling. The barrel is closer to .303 specs than American I ordered this mold 31- 200L from Tom. If fact he added it to his catalog after I sent him the drawings of the Lyman 314299. Why not buy the lyman?. Because i like a mold that cast exactly what it is listed as. Not .311 or .312 but a full .314. Rifle loves .313 bullet. P>S 3 week deleivery and a man who comunnicates with you quickly! Tom from Acurate Moldss!
    Last edited by Shooter6br; 01-15-2012 at 02:13 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Curator, which LBT blue lube do you use? The regular, soft or commercial?
    I keep trying to stay afloat but can't help from shooting holes in my own boat.