Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Drilling into a billiard ball.

Boolit Bub
    Wow, look at all his stuff, pretty darn kewl.

Boolit Master
    I've used cheap thrift shop golf balls with complete satisfaction, especially for light work like lubrasizers. Used a drill press with board and hole centering method. Forstner bits are best for the centering hole but more easily available spade bits do quite well. Really don't need to clamp the ball down, hand grip is sufficent. Brad point bits in the balls are best but normally available twist bits work fine, especially if you bore a smaller centering hole first; 3/16" seems good, go about 3/4 way thru to give lots of surface for the epoxy to grip. Any slight off-axis hole can be compensated for when epoxying it on, turn the "high" or "low" side up to suit your taste.

(Golf balls make great file handles too; I always knew those things had to be good for something! Just drill an undersize hole and drive the ball onto the file tang so friction secures it, there's no need to epoxy them on.)
    Last edited by 1hole; 04-22-2013 at 09:29 AM.

Drilling a billiard ball is very easy, you can do it in a drill press and be right on center without maeasuring a thing. Clamp a two by four to your drill press table so that it is centered under the spindle. Now using a flat bottom drill such as a Forstner bit about two thirds the size of the ball. Drill a hole deep enough that you can rest the ball in the hole with it touching the bottom, put the ball in the hole and it is magicaly centered under the spindle. You can hold the ball with another two by four with a similar hole and place it on top of the ball and use a couple of bar clamps to clamp the ball in place. Now drill and tap your hole.
    I think we drink the same beer.

Boolit Grand Master

Looks like the gearshift knob on my 68 Chevelle. Hang some fuzzy dice over the press and I would be in hog heaven....just got to resist the temtation to shift thru the gears while reloading.

But I really think a gear shift knob would fit, and there are some real cool knobs out there and they are already drilled. Going to get a shift knob and see if it might work.

Gary

Boolit Master
    I used a Lacrosse ball. It is hard rubber and a larger size than tennis ball. When I drilled in, some rubber was pushed to the side because rubber is soft and pliable. The rersulting hole was a little undersized, but being that rubber has elasticity to it, I pushed it on the handles and it stayed there. The fit is good.
    Rich or poor, it's good to have money.

I have a baseball on my press handle. I think a softball would work even better because it will spread the force over a larger area and, in theory, reduce blisters.
    I pity the baker,
    I pity the nun

I pity the one
    Who tries to take my gun

Most any drill bit will work on a real billiards ball. I've always used regular drill bits and it works just fine. I've done this for at least 3 presses that I recall. If you drill a little off center of the ball you will not even notice. Just drill as centered as you like and it will turn out just fine.

Once you've drilled your hole, you can use a thread tap to create threads inside the hole. My RCBS press had a threaded handle so I drilled the appropriate diameter hole, used the appropriate thread tap and the ball screws right on.

My Lee presses have a tapered handle so I threaded the end of the handle, drilled appropriate size hole in the ball, threaded the hole and the ball screws right on.

If you don't have access to thread taps then drilling & gluing it on would definite be easier.

Boolit Master

First and foremost, those are not "Billiard balls". They're "Pool" balls. I've been in the pool/billiard industry for 42 years and this is the one thing that ticks me off. Billiard balls=no numbers, bigger. Pool balls=with numbers, smaller. Ok, anal rant over.
    Drill hole in board, grind small flat on ball, drill. EeeZee
    Oh.....pool/billiard balls are cast phenolic resin. If you want the ones with numbers, get the cast in numbers.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragonrider View Post
    Nice catch John, I type faster than I think.
    Well, maybe I just have a good imagination (or mental disorder). It made sense to me the first reading and I thought it was a brilliant solution.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    Originally Posted by Reverend Recoil
    Snooker balls are a little smaller and make a better handle.

Quote Originally Posted by izzyjoe View Post
    they do, but they are usally very hard to come by.
    not for me....i'm "INDY BILLIARDS SERVICE"

http://indybilliards.net

Boolit Grand Master

I like oiled wood. Slides smoothly in your hand, very little friction. Beats the heck out of the old bicycle grip.
    Terrible cell pic...

”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

The correct size to fit your hand best is 2" in dia. (actual is 1.975) This is what Hardinge Chucker handles and DSM59 cross slide handles have been for 80 years. This size fits the palm of your hand best. I have ran both of my machines extensively, and the longer you run the machine the better the knob feels in your hand. This matters when you are doing long runs of parts, as the natural aversion to work tends to push you away from the machine, and anything that feels good tends to counteract that.

I used one for my C&H 444 press and I just noticed my Dillon Pocket Swager has the same knob. I have always avoided Pool Balls for this reason they are normally 2 1/4"? and Snooker Balls are 2 3/16"? I believe.

These always feel too big in an averaged sized palm. IMHO.

The two ideas of drilling and tapping in a Lathe, or using a hole in the drill press are the easiest ways to center the hole. The funnel idea is cool.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 11-16-2014 at 04:45 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12