Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: PP and Crimp

PP and Crimp

Do you still crimp a PP boolit like you would a naked or jacketed? I'm shooting a 45-70 Marlin Guide Gun
    "Some times it's just better to smile an walk away."

"Think ya used enough dynamite there, Butch?"
    -Butch Cassidy & the Sun-dance Kid

Banned

I recently did it in my .30-30, worked fine and fed from the magazine. Not enough crimp to cut the paper, just enough to roll the case mouth under the trailing edge of the front band. If my gun had a tighter throat I would try patching TO the crimp groove and letting the paper shrink into it, then tumble lube the finished boolit, size, and crimping right on top of the paper. When finished, you wouldn't be able to see the jacket at all. I've heard of someone recommending this but never did try it since this gun needs a fat boolit an long patch to be accurate.

Gear

Boolit Master
    Don't apply a normal crimp to your PP rounds. If you flair the case mouths, to prevent damage to the patch upon seating the bullet, then apply just enough crimp to straighten out the case mouth. A normal crimp will often tear the patch, as the bullet exits the case. That is not conducive to good accuracy. Of course, you can use a crimp die like the Lee Factory Crimp die, to straighten the case mouths, as well as create even neck tension for each round. That's what I do. But, I stop short of applying enough force to create a real crimp on the case mouth.

Boolit Master

I crimp my Guide gun loads with a regular roll crimp, but not heavily, just enough to close the case and slightly into the crimp groove. I patch the 340 grain Lee bullet with 2 wraps of tracing paper, and I only patch to the crimp groove. I use pure lead and get 1950 fps. with my load of RL7, no leading and accuracy hovers about 2" at 100meters, which is about as good as that gun does with most loads, I use a 2x scope with very coarse crosshairs. Harvested 2 whitetail bucks with this load this year.
    Cast Boolits, Where lead balloons go over....

does anyone try to taper crimp over a PP?

Boolit Master

I haven't had a need.
    As the casting swells, and tightens the patch, it also swells into the case.
    When I final size my .309s, in short time, they measure .310.
    I have not needed to crimp. I have run full magazines through my Enfield.
    No issues.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by nanuk View Post
    does anyone try to taper crimp over a PP?
    i have for my 45-70 and 38-55. works good

I crimp ALL my paper patched bullets. Haven't had any trouble cutting the patch yet.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Boolit Master
    I crimp the .458 Win Mag with a Lee Factory crimp die. Just a very small crimp into the crimp groove. Too much and the paper gets cut and the patch fails. The amount of crimp is paper dependent. Tougher paper - more crimp, weaker paper - less crimp. I have a delicate balance with neck tension, crimp, patched boolit size, powder charge and the rifle that just barely prevents boolit setback under recoil. I don't crimp the 8mm though,

Interesting thing though, I have shot patched boolits where the paper has been cut by the crimp a very small amount, just for giggles to see what effect it has. Not really any increased leading that I could see, but there was a decrease in accuracy. Not what I would call a flyer really, but the shot definitely went outside the group. I'm thinking the "half patch" with all of the patch inside the case might work out OK for some situations.

I taper crimp my 500 grainers in the 45/70 with good results. I did experience cutting of the paper when I tried a roll crimp, but did not pursue using a lesser roll crimp due to the tight chamber on my rifle.
    Life's too short to shoot an ugly gun.

I have a LEE FCD so I loaded a rnd without powder and crimped it. Then pulled the Boolit. The paper wasn't cut so I "think" I'm OK. I shot 6 of my PP LEE 405s yesterday and thought they shot as well as I could hold the gun @ 50 yards. I read somewhere here that Gear applies LEE ALOX to his PP. I tried that and I started getting holes that touch @ 50 yrds. Shooting 42 gr. of RX7 for 1700 FPS. 15 feet from the muzzle. Boolits are 50/50 WW/Lead.
    "Some times it's just better to smile an walk away."

"Think ya used enough dynamite there, Butch?"
    -Butch Cassidy & the Sun-dance Kid

LLA works well, as does JPW and most any bullet lube.
    45 AUTO! Because having to shoot someone twice is just silly!

Quote Originally Posted by myfriendis410 View Post
    I taper crimp my 500 grainers in the 45/70 with good results. I did experience cutting of the paper when I tried a roll crimp, but did not pursue using a lesser roll crimp due to the tight chamber on my rifle.
    I use the Lyman 45-70 taper crimp die with very good results in my various 45-70 rifles. It's cheap and works well for this.