Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Am I out of touch or is he out of his tree?

Boolit Master

Am I out of touch or is he out of his tree?

I went into a somewhat local gun shop today to see if they had a few extra rifle flints. Yeah, I can Knapp my own but it is hard on my hands when they don't want to work, so I thought I would buy a couple extras as a back up. Any how, there on the rack was an old beat up Marlin 336. My first thought, "ah old Marlin, pre micro grove, been some farmers truck gun, probably a 30-30 or 35 Rem." Either way I was interested. I ask for the gun and it was taken off the rack and handed to me. It was real beat up. No bluing anywhere dings in the metal work, and the stock looked like it had been dragged behind the truck instead of riding in the cab.

I worked the lever and Wow it was slick and smooth, "there may be some hope yet. There was no bore light handy so I stuck a business card in the action held it up to the light and looked down the bore. It looked like a sewer pipe on the inside, and I think it was micro grooved. There was too much dirt and soot in the barrel for me to tell. I then looked at the price tag and thought I was going to start laughing.
    $375

I would have considered that price if it would have been in good shape. I was expecting $150 and talk him down to $100 but there is no way I would pay more than $100, and if the bore didn't clean up, I wouldn't give that for it. Am I wrong in my valuing of this rifle, or are beat up old Marlins worth $375?

Best wishes,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Master

I dont know I went into a pawn shop in West Plains Mo and they guy in there was asking more than I could go to Cabelas and buy an brand new gun. I think they think that as long as Obummer is in office people will pay. I have lots of guns so I will not pay. But I think you were in the right ball park. But then I am old and senile.

What are they listed for online at places like gunsamerica, gunbroker, and can you tell what they have actually sold for?
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Boolit Grand Master

Hilarious. He'll own it for a LONG time at that price.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm right there with you, bought a very nice one for just a little more than that about 18 months ago. 95-98% 336 in 35 Rem @ Cabelas. I've found lately nice ones only cost a little more than beaters, just gotta keep your money in your pocket and wait for them to show.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Banned

There's a really nice old Marlin, probably about 1950 or so vintage around here in a shop they're asking $300 for and it is nice with the long barrel and pistol grip with the perch belly forend. About the only thing wrong was someone had drilled and tapped it for a scope. I may have to go give that one some more consideration soon. This one is a .30-30, but it is the twin of my .35 Remington one except that the finish is a lot better.

I picked up and old Lee Enfield about 2 year's ago.
    I poped out the bolt and looked down the barrel and could only see roughness and light out the other end.
    That deal went from a $150 rifle to a $25 for the clip,$50 for the whole gun kinda thing.
    When I got home soaked with WD-40 then I hammered a patch down the barrel.It pushed out a "worm" of goop.
    I didn't bother to look down the bore but soaked it again but this tme the patch was really easy to push thru,but still came out gungy so I pushed a second one thru.
    When I held it up to look thru it I was almost blinded by the light.
    The bore was mint! It had grease in it for storage and then a layer of dust from siting in the corner for so long.
    I'll be selling it soon as a prime candidate for a rebuild back to original mititary spec's.
    All the serial number's match!
    It's a No1 Mk3

Boolit Grand Master
    Am I wrong in my valuing of this rifle, or are beat up old Marlins worth $375?
    I'm still having problems giving more than $125 for a good used .30-30 of either make. I certainly would not give $375 for one in the condition you describe. With a little looking around, you can buy a brand new bolt gun with scope for less than that.

Robert

Boolit Master

One of the best cast boolit shooting lever guns I have ever owned is my old 94 Winchester with average metal and average wood, for $75. I love that gun. It won't shoot J words very well, but it sure does love 311 dia cast.

I am glad to know that I am not out of touch with reality when it comes to gun prices. I would really be hard pressed to pay $100 for it as beat up as it was, because I am not sure I could get the bore clean. I would doubt that the bore would clean up, because surly the shop owner has at least run a patch down it.

Best wishes,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

In Remebrance

Joe, these days prices are simply going through the roof. My wife says I'm still living in 1975, but I think things are ridiculous. A quart of decent quality oil is running $3.00, and that's at Walmart! I spotted a brick of 22lr the other day in an advertisement and it was on "special" for $27.99! Have you priced tires lately? I haven't seen a Win/Marlin 30WCF for under $250.00 in several years, no matter the condition. Heck, people are asking $300.00 for 25 year old chainsaws these days!

I'm not surprised at his price at all. OTH, our first computer, a Gateway back in '97, cost us $2800.00! It still works fine but it's too slow to even connect to the internet with DSL. I can walk into Wally World or Sams and for $300.00 buy a system thats 100X what that Gateway is, with a flat screen monitor!

Ya wins and ya loses, such is life.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207 View Post
    ..... these days prices are simply going through the roof.....
    The current generation looks at prices and thinks 'It is what it is'. WE look at prices and think 'It ain't what it used to be!'

I haven't even turned 60 yet and I remember gas for 25 cents a gallon, smokes for 27 cents, a 25 round box of buckshot for $5 and under a dollar for a box of 22s.

Boolit Master

The local pawn thinks all Winchester 94s are worth $1100 no matter what the condition.

Boolit Master

My guess is the current popularity in Cowboy Action shooting has caused the value of old lever guns and period shotguns to rise dramatically due to the high demand. Even at $375, that is a whole lot cheaper than a Wop-chester copy that sells for more than twice the price. Plus the added benefit of being an original....

In Remembrance
    At the last gun show, I passed on two marlins, a 45/70 and a444 for 450 for the pair. they were probably worth it and the 45/70 sold at the show, and a coworker picked up the 444 the next day. I was actually sort of in the market for a 45/70, but it was rough enough that it wasn't worth it to me.
    Is there really any added value, for an original gun that is junk, over one that is not an original that is not junk.

Boolit Master

Well I will take the one that is not junk because I like for them to hit where I am aiming, and not be all rusty and beat up both inside and out. The care of a gun on the outside will many times tell you all about the care that it had on the inside. I will take a 73 winchester repo any day over an original that doesn't have anything left of the bore and is beat all to hell. I don't care who made it, as long as it is a well made gun. I can also promise you that even the worst made Spaghetti lever gun today is as good or better than the average Marlin or Winchester of the late 1800's. The metallurgy is far better now than 130 years ago, and so are the machining tolerances. Heck a 73 Winchester in 44WCF could have a .427 +- as much as 5 thousandths. They were great guns for their time, but compared to the replicas made to day they were not that great.

Best wishes,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post

I haven't even turned 60 yet and I remember gas for 25 cents a gallon,
    "Price war" =19.9 cents.
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Boolit Master

Wink

17.9 (price wars), smokes 21 cents with a book of matchs in vending machines.
    Gun control 1ST ROUND ON TARGET.

Boolit Master

man Y'all is old glad I dont remember anything like that

Boolit Grand Master

Funny thing, I'd bet a box of once-fired primers that someone's going to walk in there soon, see that gun and stop in his tracks. It'll remind him of something or someone and he'll part with the long green (or whip out the plastic) and he'll go home with it, happy as a clam. Then next time the shop owner buys another beater he'll overprice it, too.
    Don't bet on the shop owner running a patch thru the bore of any used gun. Almost never happens.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Banned

after looking at the new remarlins and hearing about all thier problems..
    i'd just pay for the used marlins.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast