WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: win 94 top eject scope mount?

Boolit Master

win 94 top eject scope mount?

im not looking for the pure-ist "scopes on a lever gun are just wrong" or "just get a marlin 336 if you want to scope it" comments. just helpful info(unless you want to swap) lol.

im looking to mount a red dot scope on my 1976 top eject win '94 in .30wcf. my gf has bad eyesight. she can't shoot iron sighted guns very well, but can shoot my red dot ar fine.

id prefer a side mount, but i am open to a scout style mount as well.

we are planing on her using this gun for deer and hog up to 100yds, so a red dot is fine.

also a no smithing mount is a must.

Boolit Master
    There used to be a mount that used the existing holes in the left side of the reciever to mount. Don't know if it is still being made.

Boolit Grand Master

How does she do with a peep sight? If she hasn't tried it you may be surprised. I can't use traditional buckhorn sights but peeps work fine for me and most folks with presbyopia. One Ragged Hole has an aperture that goes on a standard WW buckhorn and a top eject should be D&T'd for a receiver sight like Lyman or Williams.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    She is better with a peep sight, on an ar, but is much much better with a red dot.

Boolit Grand Master
    Weaver and B-Square used to make side mounts for the Model 94. They offset the scope about 5/8" to the left to clear the ejection port. They mounted with two screws in the peep sight mounting holes, and one big screw in the hole that allows access to the takedown pin in the bolt. While there is a little difference in appearance, functionally they are the same.

I am not sure if either company makes them anymore, but that is about it for non-gunsmithing mouts for a top eject 94. All of the scout type mounts that I am aware of mount in the rear sight dovetail and have a screw or two that have to be drilled and tapped in the barrel.

I have one of the B-Square mounts here, unfortunately the tape came off and I have lost the mounting screws for it.

Robert

Boolit Grand Master

A scout base up front and a 1.5 - 2.5X scope is best. Burris used to make a dandy base for the M94 Carbine and another outfit is making one now.

Larry Gibson

Boolit Mold
    +1 Larry Gibson.

I use a Kwiksite on my Win BigBore94 top eject ..... very easy to attach, works just fine.
    http://www.amazon.com/KWIK-SITE-WIN-.../dp/B000N8JX20

Weaver does make a side mount, but you need to buy 2 separate pieces: the base (#3C) which attaches to the rifle, then the scope mount (#3B) which attaches to the base ....
    http://www.amazon.com/Weaver-Side-Mo.../dp/B000N8HV5G
    http://www.amazon.com/Weaver-Side-Mo.../dp/B000GU4P5A

As a suggestion for a side mount: use a piece of thin cardboard between the scope mount and the rifle receiver, this prevents the receiver from being scratched.

If you choose either side mount, Please double-check to make certain the one you buy will fit YOUR rifle. I know those above fit my BigBore94, but I do not know if they will fit your particular Winchester.

Cheers,

Carl

p.s. Do check out the scout scope option. That mounting location is a bit more convenient and "clean" than a side mount. You can put a red dot up front as easily as a long-eye-relief scope.
    Last edited by 375win; 01-09-2012 at 12:15 AM.

Boolit Master

When I was gunsmithing to put myself through college, I don't know how many of those side mounts I put on Mod 94 Winchesters. Some of them worked well for the owner, and some didn't. I was never pleased with them, but if that is your only option then go with what Larry said.

Best wishes,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Grand Master

For the red dot, the forward mount in the scout position should be just perfect.

The side mounts that I saw were awkward as heck for me.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Turnbull's has one that is a side mount...
    http://www.turnbullmfg.com/catalog.a...showprevnext=1
    I am still looking for one that I can replace the rear sight, and go for a scout style mount for a red dot....
    I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same

Boolit Master
    What the world calls "Global Warming", we in Arizona call "Summer Time."
    Just last night I was looking a a product called the "Microsight".

Do a google search for this item. It's just another option in my longing for
    a way to more clearly see and use the iron sights on my firearms.

HollowPoint

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 7of7 View Post
    Turnbull's has one that is a side mount...
    http://www.turnbullmfg.com/catalog.a...showprevnext=1
    actually say this at the range. guy that had it was not happy with it as the brass was nicking the top of the sight as it was ejected.

Quote Originally Posted by troy_mclure View Post
    actually say this at the range. guy that had it was not happy with it as the brass was nicking the top of the sight as it was ejected.
    That is good to know.. Thanks for the info..
    I do solemnly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same

Boolit Master
    yep. i didnt see any damage to the sight, but he was only @ 1 box thru the gun sighting in the sight.

i didnt want to bother him while he was sighting it in to ask to shoot a few thru it to check out how it "handled".

Boolit Master
    I think I have a side mount but don't know about the screws. If your interested I can look. I put an offset mount on my 94 but have never shot it. I could have the weaver side mount for it. I know I have some but not sure about the base. pm me if you are interested and I will dig up what I have.

Boolit Master
    i have a guy sending me one. thanks tho.

In Remembrance
    Has any leftys tried a side mount, it seems like it would be awkward.

Boolit Master
    I'm ambi. When I get the mount installed I'll let you know.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by troy_mclure View Post
    im not looking for the pure-ist "scopes on a lever gun are just wrong" or "just get a marlin 336 if you want to scope it" comments. just helpful info(unless you want to swap) lol.

im looking to mount a red dot scope on my 1976 top eject win '94 in .30wcf. my gf has bad eyesight. she can't shoot iron sighted guns very well, but can shoot my red dot ar fine.

id prefer a side mount, but i am open to a scout style mount as well.

we are planing on her using this gun for deer and hog up to 100yds, so a red dot is fine.

also a no smithing mount is a must.
    I'd use an offset side mount and keep the open sights on it too. DONE! Good luck.
    Lotta people die in bed: Dangerous place to be!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    Has any leftys tried a side mount, it seems like it would be awkward.

just tried it. it is a bit awkward, but not overly so.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast