RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load DataLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: Brass and steel shotgun slugs fired during protests in Ukraine

Boolit Master

Brass and steel shotgun slugs fired during protests in Ukraine

Interesting design contained in what looks to be an ordinary plastic field wad.

http://www.armamentresearch.com/armo...ts-in-ukraine/

Boolit Master

A really harsh method of 'crowd control'.

Wow, what an interesting slug design though.... I wonder how something like this would work cast hard lead?????

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	466 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	101934

Ag

Boolit Buddy
    Is it just me, or does the wad inside the loaded round look completely different from the one shown on the right of the photo? For one thing, it seems to be pink; plus, the overpowder cup is quite solid. Looks nothing like the B&P wad shown.

Boolit Master

It is not just you.

Boolit Buddy
    I'll bet you could make something like this out of lead, especially a harder alloy; still wouldn't be anywhere near as hard or strong as brass, though. It could be interesting to cast it as a solid, then bore out a center hole, and put a round-head or hex-head steel screw/bolt into the top of the center hole as a hardened penetrator---wouldn't even be too difficult to harden the screw head with simple tools (propane torch and a bucket of water.) DIY armor-piercing round!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FullTang View Post
    I'll bet you could make something like this out of lead, especially a harder alloy; still wouldn't be anywhere near as hard or strong as brass, though. It could be interesting to cast it as a solid, then bore out a center hole, and put a round-head or hex-head steel screw/bolt into the top of the center hole as a hardened penetrator---wouldn't even be too difficult to harden the screw head with simple tools (propane torch and a bucket of water.) DIY armor-piercing round!
    I own a Lyman 20 gauge slug mold. I might have to do some experiments this summer with this idea.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

I was thinking that it might be a good flier, but i could care less about armor piercing effect.... I was just thinking that the weight foreward of a slug with this design might fly straight in a smooth bore... I dont want a screw in the center... Just looking for a straight flight...

Boolit Buddy
    It does look like it would fly well---reminds me of a mini version of those Latvian Dupleks steel slugs. A solid lead version would also cast pretty quickly without a core pin; Lee could make a 6 cavity mold...

Boolit Man
    I think that the slug would tumble very quickly, balance on that slug is poor. *** end is 1/5 of the front end. It would tumble from top to bottom an d cut a hole that looks like a key hole in a human, if you hit anything. That slug looks like a door breaching slug to me.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskanGuy View Post
    I was thinking that it might be a good flier, but i could care less about armor piercing effect.... I was just thinking that the weight foreward of a slug with this design might fly straight in a smooth bore... I dont want a screw in the center... Just looking for a straight flight...
    I would imagine if a slug were cast of pure linotype or Monotype or zinc that you would have a better penaterator than just a wheel weight slug.Robert

Boolit Grand Master

The Dupleks have an attached wad to help with the shuttlecock effect but do look similar.

This design is quite old and shows up in the Gunwriters web article by Peter Kekkonen:

http://guns.connect.fi/gow/historia4.html

James Gates of Dixie Slugs was also looking at a similar design before he went with the IXL-DGS slug:

http://www.dixieslugs.com/products.html

scroll to the bottom ~ it has an attached wad rather than just the stem and bottom flange/skirt... whatever.

Not sure how these things would fly but I have to think okay because someone put some time into design and drawing.

Longbow

Boolit Buddy
    my 8 gauge industrial kiln tool has both zinc and steel slugs

Boolit Master
    For crowd control and "home" defense nothing really beats the old "buck-n-ball" load out of a smoothie. Thousands of "war of northern aggression" casualties attest to it's effectiveness. 10
    10 gauge: as per Robert Ruark, "use enough gun"

MOLON LABE

"I have a list, and am prepared for widespread civil disorder!" 10 ga

Kinda reminds me of an Breneke (sp?) slugs.