RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2

Thread: 12 Ga . LEE 1 oz . load

12 Ga . LEE 1 oz . load

Ive just started playing with slug loads using the Lee 1 oz. ,Win AA cases,HS6 (36grs)powder and WAA12 wads(white) .

I couldnt find the WAA 12 114 wads listed in the Lee data.

Problem is the crimp petals want to fold down inside case . Is there any problem with adding card wads inside wad to raise slug to get a good crimp ? Should I need to reduce powder charge a couple grs to adjust for added projectile wt. ?

Banned
    Hello Frank, the 36 grain charge is known to kick like a mule!
    Most normal shooters use 33 to 34 grains of HS-6, most slug loads become accurate when you tame them down 2 to 3 grains from Max load!

The Win. WAA 12 F114 is listed for HS-6 powder!
    The Win. AA white wad is a good fit with Lee 1 oz. slug, but I prefer the Fed. 12 S3 purple one to Win. AA.

Put a nitro card in wad just below the slug and cut the excess petal length off and then
    fold crimp them and the wad petals will not get mangled!
    Lets us know how it works out.
    Ajay
    Video Memories
    www.PreciousVideoMemories.com

I shot this load with the only component difference being I used the steel based "Super X" hulls.

I shot them 6 days ago and my cheek is still tender. A lady at work even noticed the bruise.

I'm moving down to 34 grains next. With the hulls I use, I get a pretty good looking crimp.
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

The 12S4 I have are real close to the12F 114 in height . The cushion is stiffer on the 12S4 .

I reduced to 34grs of HS6 used a CCI 209 , 12S4 ,1 Circle Fly 20ga over powder, 1 Circle Fly 20ga. fiber cushion , 1 oz. Lee . The crimp rolls over and pushes back inside still and the slug springs back up a tad bit and holds petals against case.

I fired the one I loaded for affect at my berm and it do bark some !!! Dont think it should bark that much ! Im not recoil sensitive at all , but I dont think the Winny Defender should recoil to 30 deg from parallel to ground . I think the action opened some also !

I have Pacific Blue, WAA12R , Remington SP12?,Windjammer PC,WAA12.

Guess Ill have to hunt down some WAA 12F 114 now .

Boolit Buddy
    anyone tried the AA#5 loads? i have the Activ hulls and wads.
    A.F.A.M.

Boolit Master

I prefer the Lyman Sabot slug, plus there is a lot of data on this slug out there.

http://www.lymanproducts.com/lyman/b...php?entryID=86

I have a Lee 7/8 ounce mold that I may sell, I haven't done anything with it since I got it.

Jerry
    Honor is a Way of Life

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Playing with fire :)

I got out my Lyman Shotshell loading manual and read through some recipes while waiting on local shop to locate wads for the Lee HS6 load with the 1 oz slug.

I found a 1 oz. target load using Red Dot ,Win. 209's ,Blue Magic hulls and Blue Verilite wads . I weighed my slugs and they werent quite an oz. and with a 20 ga. Circle Fly cushion wad to go under slug the combined weight was still under and oz. !

I got an old C&H Shellmaster press out of back room of shop and cleaned it up a little to set up for slug loading and proceeded to load 5 up using a Lee dipper to charge after weighing (glad I verified as the dipper threw heavy ! ) .

The combo panned out with all fitting nicely with about 3/16" compression (old Shellmaster has no wt. scale)to get a nice folded crimp !

I stepped out to my berm and let one fly and to my surprise it was pretty mild compared to the HS6 .

I turned two more loose on my 6" pistol clanger at 25 yds and quit as it bent it pretty bad !

Next will be loading a few more to try on paper ! Recoil was quite pleasant , guess I should chrony them at some point .

Quote Originally Posted by Harmon_Greer View Post
    anyone tried the AA#5 loads? i have the Activ hulls and wads.
    I have used it in the federal hull 41.5 grains...OUCH! it's as painful as the 49.5 grain loading of blue dot with the 1 ounce slug. The data has been updated a bit as the chart shown by Ajay doesn't have some of the loads listed. I have the old chart and the new one which came with a more recent purchase.

Boolit Buddy
    i figured that load data was on the obsolete side...as im probably the only person with very many of the old original activ components and nobody uses accurate number 5 in shotguns...so it seems.
    A.F.A.M.

Boolit Bub
    VdoMemorie, again 32 grs. of hs-6 is a nice load that wont take your shoulder off, and still kill a deer or most anything in the USA. why does Lee post that max load and why do people have to go max? you post the same thing over and over and people still end up bruising themselfs, why dont someone buy a elephant gun .600 nitro ex or just .50 m2 and at least theyd get some accuracy beyond 100 yards????

Boolit Buddy
    i dont think accuracy degrades as the velocity goes up, i think the shooter has more to do with it.
    factory slugs go 1600 fps, that max load is still 100 fps shy of the factory foster slugs.

i shoot full bore round balls over 44-45 grains of blue dot in a 2.75 inch federal hull and 50.0 grains in a 3 inch hull. i have shot the lee slug over the 36.0 grains of HS6 and it felt like a light trap load compared to my round ball.

lee lists the max load because it is the prudent thing to do. if they did not and just listed 32. grains as " this is all you need" people would not be happy.
    A.F.A.M.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by VdoMemorie View Post
    Hello Frank, the 36 grain charge is known to kick like a mule!
    Most normal shooters use 33 to 34 grains of HS-6, most slug loads become accurate when you tame them down 2 to 3 grains from Max load!

The Win. WAA 12 F114 is listed for HS-6 powder!
    The Win. AA white wad is a good fit with Lee 1 oz. slug, but I prefer the Fed. 12 S3 purple one to Win. AA.

Put a nitro card in wad just below the slug and cut the excess petal length off and then
    fold crimp them and the wad petals will not get mangled!
    Lets us know how it works out.
    Ajay
    Video Memories
    www.PreciousVideoMemories.com

Can someone tell me where this load data came from? The load data that came with my slug mold does NOT list a win aa hull and AA#5 for a 1 oz slug. I happen to have about 9 lbs of #5 with no intended use SO, I'd really like to go this way.

Seems like a 38.5g charge might be mildly abusive. Wonder where a good starting point might be? Maybe 30.0g and creep up till they group tight?

Thanks for any help.

Boolit Master
    Also, I ain't seeing a WAA wad. Is that the same as a WAA12 ?

Boolit Bub

Boolit Master
    Okay, I just noticed they listed two different huls under one load.

The Remington and win aa hull is listed together.

I'm an idiot. Sorry.

Boolit Bub
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXA1WWbwmIM

heres whats working for me