Snyders JerkyLoad DataReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: New Win M92's

Boolit Buddy

New Win M92's

Gents - I see that a few distributors are finally getting the newer Win 92's in 357M and 44M. Have been waiting to see one in person or atleast get feedback from someone who has taken the plunge ($1000+ to the dealer). I'm looking at the 24 in bbl, short mag tube version with the crescent metal buttplate and leaning more towards the 357 version - for me, more of a range gun than a hunting rifle. Anyone with info/ thoughts or opinions - Thanks Bill

Boolit Master
    One of the guys showed up at our December lever rifle shoot with one of the carbines in .357. I was favorably impressed. The rifle looked good and it shot well. I didn't like the tang safety, but that could be removed and covered with a tang sight. Too bad they don't chamber it in the original calibres. Great improvement over the commemoritive trash.

Boolit Master
    Forgot to mention--he paid about $900 for it.

Boolit Grand Master

Looking forward to seeing one. Sad to say that $900 is probably reasonable, all things considered. I have a hankering for a 92 but I don't think this is it.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by msp2640 View Post
    Gents - I see that a few distributors are finally getting the newer Win 92's in 357M and 44M. Have been waiting to see one in person or atleast get feedback from someone who has taken the plunge ($1000+ to the dealer). I'm looking at the 24 in bbl, short mag tube version with the crescent metal buttplate and leaning more towards the 357 version - for me, more of a range gun than a hunting rifle. Anyone with info/ thoughts or opinions - Thanks Bill
    Fired a couple of the Miroku "Japchesters" owned by other members at the range...........nice & smooth...........good trigger.

Too expensive.............WAY WAT TOO EXPENSIVE !!

Not faithful to the parent JB design........they ain't 92s !

Rebounding hammer & a dozen small parts that will fail over the long haul.

Tang safety.

No way I'd be putting out that kind of money for something that isn't even a real Model 92.

The Duke wouldn't be caught dead with one of those safetied-up abortions in his hands.

If you like'em buy'em .....................I'll pass.

If they want to make another run of the Browning Model B-92 (was also made by Miroku) just as it was in the 80's without all the ridiculous safety junk I'd buy it in a heartbeat.........now that was a 92 to be proud of.
    GOA Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy

Follow up

Thanks for the feedback - I'm not really concerned with how authentic it is to the original deign. More so I'm interested in how well made (fit, finish, wood, bluing, etc) and hopefully decent accuracy. I've seem a few Rossi's and would rather spend more for a well finished rifle than have to "upgrade" to the way it should have been done (my opinion). The marlin 1894's in a configuration I'd like to have, are fetching crazy money as well. I have heard/ read that the tang safety can be done away with and covered by a tang sight anyway, which is a route I'd probably go. My end use of the rifle would be for range and target use only - we can't use them for hunting here in Mass - Thanks for the info - Bill

Boolit Grand Master

Add to that that the rebounding hammer design may cause failures to fire and require fixing.

They LOOK pretty but I wouldn't trust them for the long haul.

I bought a Winchester/Miroku model '92 short rifle in .44 Magnum years ago. I loved it. It shot great, it had a silky smooth action, and I was having so much fun with it that I was beating it up in the woods. So rather than disfigure such a nice gun with bangs against trees and tumbles down ravines, I sold it.

I've regretted it ever since. Every lever gun that's passed through my hands that didn't cost as much was a piece of garbage in comparison. (And quite a few that cost more, for that matter.) Never had an ounce of trouble from the rebounding hammer, either.
    “If your only tool is a hammer, then all your problems start to look like people who need to be beaten with a hammer.”

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by msp2640 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback - I'm not really concerned with how authentic it is to the original deign. More so I'm interested in how well made (fit, finish, wood, bluing, etc) and hopefully decent accuracy.

I'd prioritize accuracy before aesthetics.

I believe in the old adage, "Only accurate guns are interesting".

If the gun isn't accurate and I can't make it accurate it goes.

Miroku made the B-92 under contract with Browning in the 70's & 80's.

The B-92 was a true 92 and pretty to boot with none of the safety junk.

I've fired a couple of the new Mirokus & my own & other Rossi 92s and the Rossi may not be walnut stocked but the workmanship & finish are just as good and the ones I fired are more accurate than their Miroku counterparts.

I think the Rossis have a more authentic "legacy" look.......they look like they could have been made around 1892 whereas the Miroku has a definite modern look.

Different strokes...
    GOA Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

My 1886 with rebounding hammer and firing pin with internal lock (actually INSIDE of the
    firing pin!) was a real PITA due to very low firing pin striking energy. It took a lot of
    rework to get it up to "OK". It is beautifully manufactured, but the design "improvements"
    are a mess.

Do the new '92s have the firing pin lock? Look for a spring loaded plunger at the rear where
    the hammer hits it.

The other issue is that the 92 action is a bit short for .44 Mag, limits the boolits that you can
    use, or push them deep into the case, limiting powder capacity. I have a B-92 that is a
    nice gun, but it is quite irritating that it will not feed my normal .44 Mag revolver loads.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    The whole philosophy of treating gun owners like 5 year olds who need half a dozen safeties on a gun to keep from having accidents is ridiculous & quite frankly insulting.

The 1/2 cock safety on the original 92s was sufficient.

If proper muzzle control is practiced the safety is irrelevant.
    GOA Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    my B-92 does not like Keith bullets seated in the crimp groove, the WFN Boolits feed well however.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    My 1886 with rebounding hammer and firing pin with internal lock (actually INSIDE of the
    firing pin!) was a real PITA due to very low firing pin striking energy. It took a lot of
    rework to get it up to "OK". It is beautifully manufactured, but the design "improvements"
    are a mess.

Do the new '92s have the firing pin lock? Look for a spring loaded plunger at the rear where
    the hammer hits it.

The other issue is that the 92 action is a bit short for .44 Mag, limits the boolits that you can
    use, or push them deep into the case, limiting powder capacity. I have a B-92 that is a
    nice gun, but it is quite irritating that it will not feed my normal .44 Mag revolver loads.

Bill
    They can keep the safetied up the ying yang Japchesters.
    Too much money for a gun that isn't even a real model 92.
    I've got 3 beautiful, real smooth & accurate shooting pre-safety Rossi Puma 92s (.357, .44, .454) for 1/3 the money of the Japchester abortions.
    Except for a few coil springs replacing leaf springs, better steel & CNC machining they are "blueprint" J. Browning design 92s.
    GOA Life Member
    NRA Life Member