RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trimming brass or jackets??

Boolit Master

Trimming brass or jackets??

I was wondering what methods you guys use to trim your brass or jackets.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Mold
    I use one of three:

1. Pinch trim die
    2. Regular case trimmer
    3. Collet on the lathe

Boolit Master

I use a harbor freight chop saw then clean them up with a case trimmer i modified.

Boolit Master

You need to make some kind of jig to properly hold the case but that little Harbor Freight Chop Saw is one slick little package. Any after deburring is minimal.

Facta non verba

In Remembrance
    Lizard look at my review thers a picture in there but my numbers are off, last week it came out at just under 300 per hour.
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GRUMPA View Post
    Lizard look at my review thers a picture in there but my numbers are off, last week it came out at just under 300 per hour.
    I don't understand. How do I look at your review. I'm sure it's obvious but I'm not seeing it.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Harbor Freight chop saw or chuck them in a lathe.

Boolit Master

I have a dillon case trimmer that is caliber specific. It looks like they only make rifle caliber trimmers. Has anyone thought to make a die that would work with this trimmer?? I don't have the skills or the tools to make one, but I think this would be a very accurate way to trim brass and quick.

Benjamin Franklin

In Remembrance
    Click to see what I'm doing and have available, this takes you to the VS (Vendor Sponsor) section of the site. Currently..25Rem,30Rem, 32Rem, 35Rem, 257Roberts, 358Win, 338Fed, 357 Herrett, 30 Herrett, 401 Winchester, 300Sav, 221 Fireball, 260Rem, 222Rem, 250 Savage, 8mm Mauser (AKA 8x57), 25-20WCF

Annealing Services

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...php?117-Grumpa

Vendor Sponsor

This is my set up for triming brass. In the short video I did 13 in a minute. Even at only 10/min that is 600 an hour, makes a nice cut too. Keep the cut offs, they make nice bullets too!

Click on pic for video!

BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Boolit Master

Now I finally have a use for my rcbs trimmer again! I assume you got that cutter from harbor freight??

Benjamin Franklin

Vendor Sponsor

Yep HF mini chop saw. Has worked wonderfuly for me. Others have had hit and miss results but for under $30 it is a good gamble. Mine has made thousands of cuts. Keep a bit of lube on teh theeth of teh wheel every once in a while helps make better cuts and speed things up.

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Master

What do you use to lube the blade??

Benjamin Franklin

Vendor Sponsor

Anything! Swage lube, special cutting lube, wax, boolit lube, I'm sure anything will work. Not critical just helps to keep balde from sticking to brass during cut and makes better cut.

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Master

candle wax is a great saw lube.

Boolit Master

I'll be heading to harbor freight today. Dont have my dies or press yet, but I have to start with something.

Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    I went a little different route with mine. I got my Harbor freight mini chop saw in the mail and got everything set up for trimming the necks off from 223 brass so I could re form it to 300 AAC Blackout.

I wanted a jig of some sorts too speed things up so I had a buddy of mine that has quite an extensive wood shop make me one. It works fantastic and I can trim about 8 to 10 per minute with it.

I'ts nothing more than a scrap piece of maple with a flat bottom hole bored for the brass to sit in. We sawed it down the middle of the hole lengthwise and added hinges so it would flip open to make brass insertion and removal easier.

The first step buts up against the built in vise on the base. The small piece added to the front hangs over the edge and buts up against the front of the base. Having 2 contact points makes it real quick and easy to locate the jig each time to trim the brass. The middle step is for blade clearance and the top step is to clear the body of the saw.

Brass is inserted and then the lid is closed. Once closed push in the brass lightly to bottom it in the hole and it's ready to trim.

And a pic of the final product. It cuts clean enough that no duburring is needed to run it through the sizing die, another nice time saving measure.

I made a short video of it in action if you want to click the link and watch it. I went quite a bit slower while trimming so it was easier to see what is going on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ukuy...gAiEJsn4U2H2kM

Brilliant,just what I have been looking for.
    Thanks for the vids and pics.

Boolit Buddy
    you can send your measurments to LEE Precision Reloading and they will make a custom trimmer for $15.00. Just go to custom services under the help tab. They have made a few for me and they work great.

Boolit Master

Ogotz, what does the trimming die look like?? How does it work??

Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast