Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWideners
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Recovered Boolit and GC

Recovered Boolit and GC

Was wondering if anyone has ever re-covered their Cast Boolit with the Gas Chk.
    still intact from their kill. Be it a Deer or Hog for that matter. Have hunted in the past
    before but not as much as I have liked to,... so I really don't have a lot of years of
    hunting experience under my belt . Hunting with Cast would be new to me . I did hunt with commercial ammo when I was younger, but it wasn't till I was in my 30's
    that I learned to cast my own . Did the GC stay on the recovered boolit or did it get
    stuck in the kill. Just curious if it mattered or not .
    I don't know you....but I have met you a 1000 times

Boolit Grand Master

I prefer to have a boolit or bullet that penetrates well enough to exit. Allows more blood out, more air in. I've recovered a few j-bullets but only have one CB kill so far, very impressive exit wound so the boolit went merrily on it's way. OK by me if I never recover a boolit. I could barely find the entrance wounds on either deer I killed last week, rather odd but points out the value of an exit wound (and complete penetration).
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

All the game I have shot with cast were all pass through but I have recovered bullets at the range some still have the gc and some do not I have been using hornady gc. Not sure if this helps or not.

I would also pre-fer the boolit to pass thru completely. I'm just wondering if a GC not found ,that stayed in the meat could cause any type of infection to the meat if not processed quickly out in the field. Whether the GC was copper or aluminum...would it make any difference if it stayed on the kill. Since casting, I have switched to Al .GC's and maybe try hunting next year if my health
    lets me. I was just curious if anyone here has had a GC found in their kill later on or was found in the process of cleaning it or being processed by someone else.

The meat will be fine. A gas check won't be any different than a piece of copper jacket material from a jacketed bullet often found in a wound channel. It usually takes a bullet upset to seperate the cast bullet from the gas check... when it deforms the base, like when it tumbles, is when they typically come lose.

Thats good to know. Gonna try hunting next year with a T/C. I gotta go @ least one more time before my health completely escapes me. IF not me , maybe one of the boys. Thanks for all the replys.

Quote Originally Posted by Xcaliber View Post
    I was just curious if anyone here has had a GC found in their kill later on or was found in the process of cleaning it or being processed by someone else.
    Yes. The last of 4 deer this season, which is the only one of 8 I've killed with cast boolits over the past 3-4 years had a gas check that fell out when we gutted it. It was the only one I've found so far. Actually i was kind of shocked to find it, but didn't think much of it. That shot was a little high, and it clipped the bottom of the spine, which is probably when it came off. I didn't find anything else of the Lee 310gr 44 slug.
    Avatar - 2006, my oldest son (6'2"), trying to lift the 95lb Cobia he caught at Cape Hatteras, NC from the beach.

Boolit Master

Pass through shots on my two deer this year. Impressive wound channel this way and very good blood trail. If you do things right the blood trail is not too long!

Banned

I shot mine with a plain base boolit.

ok and yes I did use a GC boolit on one too (both) were several years ago.

I didn't find the boolit or the GC just a deer with a big hole in it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Xcaliber View Post
    I would also pre-fer the boolit to pass thru completely. I'm just wondering if a GC not found ,that stayed in the meat could cause any type of infection to the meat if not processed quickly out in the field. Whether the GC was copper or aluminum...would it make any difference if it stayed on the kill. Since casting, I have switched to Al .GC's and maybe try hunting next year if my health
    lets me. I was just curious if anyone here has had a GC found in their kill later on or was found in the process of cleaning it or being processed by someone else.
    I have killed one deer with my 358 and cast
    I used a gas checked boolit
    found the g/c near the rear most orifice
    complete full length penetration thats the beauty of cast
    as well as no blood shot meat
    as far as a g/c causing infection the animal is dead infection is past tense
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

The bullets of all my game shots have passed all the way through. That includes some big hogs.

3x .44 Lyman Devastators launched at around 1650fps, recovered from pigs. The nose cone has peeled right off each. Then the Lee 310gr flat nose launched at 1500fps. Gas checks still firmly attached.

Banned

copper has anti germ properties, thats why it's a good choice for water pipes.
    i think you'd have more problems with flies and such than a left behind gas check.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenring View Post
    3x .44 Lyman Devastators launched at around 1650fps, recovered from pigs. The nose cone has peeled right off each. Then the Lee 310gr flat nose launched at 1500fps. Gas checks still firmly attached.

Fenring,

What is the lead recipe for these bullets? Air cooled or water quenched? Approximate distance to target, too?

I am trying to develop an idea of terminal ballistics for cast on game.

Thanks for the photos! It is rare to find photos of recovered cast bullets.
    Last edited by Fire_stick; 01-13-2012 at 10:44 PM. Reason: spelling
    He who knows best knows how little he knows.
    - Thomas Jefferson

I've never shot a animal with cast I found a few boolits in a block of wood I was shooting into , no GC's on those I did find a GC on the ground infront of a ram at 200 meters had to be mine it was smashed perfectly flat. Steel critters make GC's come off

I 'm sorry I mean't centerfire with cast. I have killed deer with 50 cal maxi balls that I cast but none that I can remember were recovered
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Quote Originally Posted by Fire_stick View Post
    Fenring,

What is the lead recipe for these bullets? Air cooled or water quenched? Approximate distance to target, too?

I am trying to develop an idea of terminal ballistics for cast on game.

Thanks for the photos! It is rare to find photos of recovered cast bullets.
    Cheers.

Those are air cooled clip on WW's.

Distance - most pigs I shoot are on the run, and ranges are not all that long - 50 yards at the outside.

I have shot quite a few pigs with these boolits and have been very happy. The Devastators really do their thing at rifle speeds. In fact it could be too much of a good thing for really big pigs. The Lee is a great boolit and easy to cast.

Boolit Master
    My first deer was killed with a pure lead Lee 360 grain 50 caliber Minnie. I was shooting down from a tree stand and it entered just left of the spine between the shoulders. The deer dropped on the spot and the stomach and intestines were both ruptured when I opened it up. I took it to a game processor to be butchered.

I found the bullet that winter when cooking a steak that had been cut from one of the hams. It was lodged up against the bone and had mushroomed just like an advertising photo. The bullet had penetrated the deer lengthwise and probably would have exited had it not hit the femur.

I wish I could find that bullet. I kept it as a momento but haven't seen it in a long time. It would make a great photo.