Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Market Research questionaire

Boolit Grand Master

Market Research questionaire

There's a remote possibility that I may be able to start selling smelted range scrap early in 2012. I would sell it in small ingots in 50 pound boxes for $50, out the door.

I'd like to get some responses and feedback from the forum on how many of you would be interested in this on a regular basis. I also understand there will be occasional buyers.

This will help me determine if this venture is worth the trouble. It will require me to lay out some money and time to get it off the ground.

I can not and will not hold anyone responsible for their responses concerning how often they may buy and/or what quantity. I'm simply trying to find out if there's enough interest in my going to the trouble of doing so.

If I did this, I would pay for and sign up for a Vendor Sponsor's position. If I'm going to make money from the members of the forum, I feel it is only right that the forum get a piece of the pie.

I would very much appreciate all responses be kept to my inquiry concerning interest. The number of positive responses over the next week or so will tell me if this is worth pursuing. Anything simple like "I'd buy one ever six months" up to "I'll take all you can get" would do quite well.

Thank you all and I wish for you and all in your circle a prosperous and safe new year.

Jim

Banned

If you are going to do this, one thing I see needs to be done. Post a hardness of the lead. That will give everyone an idea of what they are getting.

Boolit Grand Master
    It's range scrap. The BHN can change from day to day.

Again, right now, all I'm looking for is the level of interest.
    Last edited by Jim; 02-02-2012 at 12:00 PM.

Boolit Master
    Jim,

Muddy Creek Sam said his source of lead which he sold here is drying up. That is sad to hear, but if that does come to pass, that leaves the site with one less steady lead vendor. Also, wheelweights will increasingly become a thing of the past, same as type from the print shop and lead sheathed cable.

I have bought almost all of my purchased lead from people on this site, and will continue to do so.

Boolit Master
    range scrap tends to be anywhere from about 8 to 14... most of mine falls into the 10-12 range..

If one of the vendors we have here is losing his source, one more reliable vendor is likely to be a good addition.. $50/50# shipped is common.. or $60/60 pounds shipped (ingotted) is pretty good.. someone else is selling raw range lead a bit cheaper, but it all comes to about the same either way.. I say go for it.. it seems that ppl buy things in waves.. sometimes it sells fast, other times it takes a few weeks..

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    It will require me to lay out some money and time to get it off the ground.
    How big an investment of time and capital Jim??
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Love Life
    Jim,

If it is $50 for 50 lbs (if I read your OP correctly) shipped already smelted into ingots I would buy a box every three months. Hardness isn't really an issue as I can make it work regardless for my uses.

Boolit Buddy

Jim, I would be good for between 300 and 400 lbs a month... And ingots for me can be in any size you want to make them up to about 10lbs each... I have a 125lb electric pot so the size and thickness of the ingot is not a concern to me.... I need a steady source.

Boolit Buddy
    I'd be good for 50-60 lbs every 3 months or so.

Rog

Boolit Master

I bought 7 boxes last year. 50-60 lbs each.

Expect to buy about the same this year.

Most came from EBAY but ALL will come from out members this year.

Yes, I shot every grain of it myself.

First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master
    I could go for 1

Boolit Master

I would go for 1or 2 a year. The way leads going it might be a nice little venture.
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

5-6 boxes per year for me

Boolit Bub
    $1 per pound shipped is the magic number for me. An even 50-bucks makes it that much sweeter.

Thanks for asking,
    'da Kid

Boolit Master
    I bought 2 or 3 boxes last year, that's sort of my rock bottom amount. For $50, just say when.
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Boolit Grand Master
    This is very encouraging! Thanks, fellas. I'll be makin' phone calls Monday morning.

Boolit Bub

I'm just now putting together the stuff to start casting. I want to get ahead in the consumables inventory category, so I'm interested in 2 or 300 #/year for a few years

Moderator Emeritus

I have never bought any range scrap....yet
    I have considered doing this myself (for myself only), but am not crazy about the work involved.

In the last 18 months, I have bought about 500 lbs of alloy (as a total) from various sellers here (some vendors ,some not)...I surely would prefer to purchase from a vendor.

IF you can segragate scrap alloy from Pistol 'only' berms/backstops
    I would be very interested in buying as much as 200 lbs per year.
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    None here. The county says I shouldn't buy any more, as we are now tipped a half a bubble off of plumb, because of the amount it already have.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    I would take at least 100lb prolly more.