WidenersReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load Data Titan Reloading

Thread: Ranch dog in 7.62x39 & 7.62x54r

Boolit Buddy

Ranch dog in 7.62x39 & 7.62x54r

i have a M91/30 and a russian SKS paratrooper and they are dedicated boolit shooters I am curious has any one shot the 115 RD and or 165 or 170 RD out of either of these? I was thinking of the 115 in the sks and the heavier one out of the m91 kinda worried about feeding issues

Indymadcaster

Boolit Buddy
    I just got myself the 115gr RD for Christmas with the intention of using it in my 7.62x39 bolt guns. Had to leave for work the day after Christmas so I never cast any boolits with it but it sure is a nice looking bullet. I will be sure to post back with my results, should be a superb bunny boolit. I have been having great luck with the 314440 and 11.5grs of bluedot in my ruger hawkeye 7.62x39.
    JW

Boolit Grand Master

The 170 RD drops with my alloy at .314 and shootw well in both my 91 and 38.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Buddy
    I finally got around to trying this RD 115gr mold out in the 7.62x39; as with other ranch dog molds a quick cleaning and preheat and it was dropping good boolits. I tried several loads but quickly settled on 11.5grs of Bluedot, this has always been a good powder charge for reduced loads, have not chrono'd but should be right around 1700fps. I have shot several rabbits with this combination and it really hits hard, cuts a nice clean hole. At 80 yards or so shooting out of my truck window I was holding 1" 4 shot groups, all in all could not be happier.

JW

Boolit Master
    I was just on RD's site looking for the bullet you guys are talking about. Are you talking about the 313## 115gr??
    Kevin

Boolit Man
    Is this a real improvement over LEE's 312-155?

Boolit Master
    Has anyone tried the RD 311-170 tumble lube bullet in the SKS? I keep thinking of Junior Doughty's article on the "SKS HOG RIFLE" (http://www.castbullet.com/shooting/sks.htm)
    ... and Ranch Dog's own remarks about the SMACK it made when his dad used it for deer hunting in a 30-30.

I was thinking about trying to duplicate Junior's 1700 fps, but wondered whether the wide meplat fed and cycled reliably.

All results (good or bad) would be appreciated.