RotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading

Thread: resizing (yes the J word)for 7.62x54r

Boolit Buddy

resizing (yes the J word)for 7.62x54r

Folks,

Well this board has so much knowlege ..... and so i need some help..
    I got these in a trade and ended up with 185 grain spitzer .3235 soft point remington bulk 8mm mauser bullets (yea i Know the J-word but i have a 7 gallon bucketful of the damn things and no i do not want to sell them and i have a mauser project too)
    SOoooo.....having a Mosin- Nagant with a 312 bore and a .314 lee push thru sizer first i tried beeswax and had to drill it and knock it out with a brass rod LOL so then i tried lanolin it was hard in my lee press then i went to my rockchucker....WAY easier ...OK 10 of them are now sized @ .3143 I bet my Nagant will like these!!!! but what would be a better sizing lube ? if they shoot I want to do some more
    and after the resize can they still be used on deer and elk??? or will they be more prone to jacket separation?
    as far as load data does i was looking @ 190 grain starting loads and work up from there.
    Indymadcaster

Boolit Master

I used Chainsaw bar/chain lubricant oil to resize some .310 sized 7.62x54 pulled bullets down to .308 using a Lee Challenger Press and Lee's .308 sizing die. no issues at all with the sizing and they cleaned right up with a little soap and water.

Bruce
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Grand Master
    I haven't tried to draw down a J-word, but have read (in Corbins swaging books IIRC) thta the jacket can become loose due to differing springback rates of the core and jacket. I would test a few for expansion to see how they do. A seven gallon bucket would have enough that you can spare a few.

Imperial sizing die wax has been the slickest sizing lube that I have personally used, it might do better than lanolin.

I would ask down in the swaging section.

Robert

Boolit Master
    ive done it, i might be appling and oranging but the bullets were romanian light ball 8mm (154 gr??????) and the crimp applied was a terrible squeeze on. the base and above the crimp applied was around .326. i ran them through the .323 lee type and it was sucessfull, my conclusion was based on round holes and not accuracy sense i never ever ever ever had any luck with good loads with jacketed types.

Boolit Buddy
    i have several m91's this one shoots S&B or wolf gold 180 grain jwords
    into less than 2 in all day the others thrive on ACWW 185 gr lee and either 24.0 XMP5744 or the 13 gr red dot load This one that likes jacketed i have cleaned the piss out of it with Jb paste Sweets Shooters choice flitz i have corked it and tried all the way uo to a .316 cast in it
    so I am giving in and if this works it and the mauser will be hunting again
    its kinda fun we we all go (family) and everyone kills deer with wilsurps with what I make and load......

Boolit Master

Hey indy:
    I traded for 3+ boxes of Herters 180 grain .323 jacketed rn bullets. I ran some through my .314 Lee sizer, and all worked very well. I used lanolin for my lube, and it worked very well. The first bullet was the hardest to size, but the bullets after the first were easy. I used a RC press.
    One thing that will help.
    There is a machined bevel on the entrance of the sizer die. Take your neck de-burring tool and put a slight bevel on where that bevel stops and the sizing begins. Then, take some 600 grit wet/dry paper and knock off and burrs left on the bevel. This helps the bullet get started and not scraping off the jacket material on the sharp edge when being pushed through the smaller diameter.
    Jack
    My bullets came out at about .3145 or so.

if you are worried about the jacket/core relationship, could you just take and file off the lead nose, then set them on an element on the stove and heat them till the lead melts?

when it cools it should be a better fit.

has anyone tried this?

I have sized down 0.311", 0.312", and 0.314" jacketed boolits designed for the various 32-cal handgun cartridges to 0.309" to use in my CZ-52 (7.62x25).

I used a Lee Classic Cast single stage press and the Lee push through sizer die with the "white goop" Lee case sizing lube. I did not encounter any problems with jacket separation ~ YMMV.

Banned

80% lanolin and 20% castor oil mixed up, is the best swage lube i know of.
    it makes good case resizing lube too.
    swaging is done up not down because of the rebound differences in the two dissimilar metals.