MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad Data
Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything

Thread: Took a year to learn how to shoot this revolver

Boolit Mold

Took a year to learn how to shoot this revolver

Thanks to you gentlemen on this website, Gunblast, Glen Fryxels articles, John Taffin, Jim Martin, Marshall Stanton and others who also answered my phone calls and letters for more than a year now. I learned how to order the right equipment and the wrong equipment to cast my own. I learned how to beg for WW's, design my own mold through Dan at MOuntain Molds. Marshall helped me discern what dia. bullets I need for .433 throats combined with a 429 Colt New Frontier barrel. Through Stanton I learned how to firelap the barrel so as to eliminate leading and greatly increase accuracy of the gun. Glen Fryxel's article on how to be a "crack pistol shot" helped me pay attention to details so as to be able to put bullets where I want them every time. Thanks to youtube demos of how to make bullets over a campfire, (not that I do or ever will), how to pan lube, make my own lube * etc has given me the confidence each step of the way to get to where I am at. I now have everything I need to make all the bullets for this revolver for the rest of my life and it's all paid for, except for the begging of more lead. If I ever sounded like a whiner, I am sorry, but I just had to keep asking questions. There is always something new to learn and I may buy another gun in the future and start all over again. Good night everyone here and thanks a million one more time, Gary Patterson.

Banned

Congratulations! Keep at it, keep it safe and fun, and never stop learning.

I'm sure that for those that helped you and answered your questions along the way, your ultimate success is its own reward.

Gear

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    Never stop learning,
    For the jurney is great.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!
    Ben Franklin

Boolit Master
    I agree with whitetail. An education is something no one can steal from you. When you stop learning, you should be letting them throw dirt in your face. I've been shooting, loading, casting etc for over40 years. I STILL learn things all the time.

All three replies are spot on in my books. I have been rewarded by helping many casters/swagers/shooters over the 40 years I've been at it, and my greatest reward is the smile on their face when they succeed. Since coming to this website I have discovered how much I have left to learn, and the greatest part of it is truly the journey.
    NRA Benefactor Member
    NAHC Life Member
    TSRA Life Member

Unlike most things in life, knowledge can be given away freely and never be diminished

Boolit Master
    this is truely a awesome thing. after you master how to sight in your scope and what 1/4 moa per click means at 100 yards what does it mean at 25? which way do you drift your front sight when you want to shoot left? what about my rear sight? which powder was faster? where am i finding my primmers cheapest this month? was my left hand suppose to be 90 percent of my grip or my right? ect ect, theres alot to remember and alot to learn

Boolit Master

Gary,

Are you aware? You have contracted a very serious disease. It is incurable, it will bring you lots of frustration. It will also bring you lots of pleasure and fun.

Enjoy it and share your experiences with us. Somebody somewhere is learning something new every minute. You may be next.

First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Master
    Eagles:

Well, I'm a standin' on a corner in Winslow, Arizona
    Such a fine sight to see
    It's a girl my Lord in a flat-bed Ford
    Slowin' down to take a look at me

"There is always something new to learn and I may buy another gun in the future and start all over again."

Somehow, I think that will happen. Fun, huh?
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

good for you. and a happy new year.
    "The good sense of the people will always be found to be the best army.They may be led astray for a moment,but will soon correct themselves" - Thomas Jefferson

I wasn't Born in the south but I got there as soon as I could.
    I like this site. MOSTLY good people. good ideas.

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't!!
    "Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped." — Groucho Marx

"We are born naked, wet, and hungry. Then things get worse"

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by sundog View Post
    Eagles:

Well, I'm a standin' on a corner in Winslow, Arizona
    Such a fine sight to see
    It's a girl my Lord in a flat-bed Ford
    Slowin' down to take a look at me

"There is always something new to learn and I may buy another gun in the future and start all over again."

Somehow, I think that will happen. Fun, huh?
    You noticed that too, I see! So there really is a "Winslow, AZ".

I "Walked the streets of Bakersfield" (TX) not too long ago, and sure enough it's the one Dwight sang about.

Gear

Boolit Mold
    Well now that's funny. I live in Winslow!

Boolit Master

Sundog, The Eagles are my favorite band (since 1973). My youngest daughter, while on one of her church trips(I think) called to inform me that she was, in fact, "standing on a corner in Winslow Az." There is, in that town, some sort of sign reference to that song- according to her. Help me out Gary. T-Bird

Boolit Grand Master
    Bakersfield, CA, has several nice gun shops. But I wouldn't want to live there. Though I do now feel competent to sit and judge, having walked the streets of Bakersfield.