Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: 7/8 ounce lee slug load suggestions

Boolit Bub

Question 7/8 ounce lee slug load suggestions

Hello,
    I know lee slugs aren't precision shooters, but I was hoping to take them out hunting next year 100 yards max distance. I have a rem 870 with a rifled barrel, and I have the lee 7/8 oz mold, fed 12so CLAYBUSTER wads (planning on getting the real ones), fed GM hulls cci 209s, bore butter, and some HS-6. What EXACT recipe has been most accurate for you guys? I know that every shotgun is different, but I want to go to the range with something that will LIKELY hold a decent group, and not shear off petals etc. Anyone have any good experiences using similar equipment (will place an order with midway usa if reasonable/necessary)? Also, would the use of 20 gauge nitro cards under the slug be appropriate for use in a rifled barrel? Would I be able to put some card wads between the powder and the wad to raise the crimp height?

Thanks guys!

Banned
    Hello SamColt,

Happy New Year to you and your family!
    Ajay
    Video Memories
    www.PreciousVideoMemories.com

Boolit Bub
    Vdomemorie, do you know what effect placing 20gauge wads in the shotcup would have on accuracy out of a rifled barrel? It seems that the slug would still engage the rifling, but maybe there is something I am missing. Thanks.

Banned
    Greetings SamColt, the slug will engage the rifling, by being a very tight fit with the wad over it, into the rifling!
    The nitro card in the wad will give it a firm solid foundation at the bottom and helps transmit the driving forces evenly around the edges!
    You could load two shells with the nitro card and two without, make sure your petal height is the same for both, now fire the first two 20 seconds apart, wait 2 minutes and repeat the second test!
    Which ever works best for you, use that combo for your hunting!
    Happy New Year!
    Ajay
    Video Memories

Boolit Bub
    Thanks! Here is one of the loads I came up with

Its 7/8 oz lee slug a claybuster 12sO wad, on top of two 12 gauge mini nitro cards, on top of 39.3 grains of HS-6. In the wad I put about 1/2" worth of cardboard spacer. I loaded all this in a fed GM hull with a cci 209 primer. Crimps nice and tight.
    With the spacer in the wad added, I was able to push this thru a cylinder bore with about as much resistance as a hordany XTP in a harvester sabot. I think the ribs in the claybuster might actually help the slug engage the rifling. Will report back later. Thanks for the help!

Banned
    Hello SamColt, I personally do not think you need two nitro cards under the slug in wad, perhaps one should be fine! Here is a picture of my Lee 1oz slug in Fed.12S-0

Let me warn you, that load might rattle and roll you a bit, be prepared and use a folded towel
    just in case and get the test done!
    How about you hold off, those shell for later use and make some new shell with starting load of 36 grains of HS-6 and some at 36.5 and some at 37 grains before you fire those 39.3 grain that will kick like a mule!!!!!
    Can I add. A little prayers won't hurt either!
    Ajay
    Video Memories
    Last edited by SuperBlazingSabots; 01-02-2012 at 08:55 PM.

Boolit Bub
    it's gotta kick a little in order to let me know that it will take that deer 50 yds away! What kind of accuracy do you get with that 1oz load there?

Banned
    Good morning SamColt, I see it this way, any slug that is just as long as its diameter is simply a Bumble Bee to me, but lets not forget most deer's are shot between 10 to 50 yards and wether the slug hits the deer straight on or side ways, it does not matter as it will kill cleanly as long as you aim for vital organs!
    When you want to increase your range, then you do need a longer slug that will stabilize better for accuracy!

Now my Lee slug is just as long as Lyman 525 slug, which is known to give 3 to 4 inch 3 shot groups at 80 to 100 yards with proper load and practice!
    Since I personally do not have the 7/8 oz Lee slug I can't comment but my 1 oz Lee will give 5 to 6 inch groups, by making the slug longer as shown in the picture should bring it down to 4 inch with proper load and practice. Most loads become accurate when you tame them down 2 to 3 grains from Max load!
    I use a lot of charts to help me tailor my loads, here is my chart that tell me how much hull space a certain powder will take up:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=137539
    All this information is all over the forum and I wish I could pile them up in one post, then it would be easy to find and could come-in handy to any body that wants to review it for reference!
    Ajay
    Video Memories

I just found this thread & hope someone sees my query here. I cast 10# [200] of 98% lead + 2% Tin, in my new Lee 7/8Oz, 12ga, Drive Key Slug Mold. Been playing with correcting wad col. hgt. for good Star crimp. My avail. powder is 6# Unique & 1# Bullseye. I elected the faster Bullseye. Based on old manual I'm starting with 17gr Bullseye for 10 rnds, then 10 more @ 18gr & 19gr.

My goal is to avoid paying major $$ for 3-gun match ammo. I haven't chrono'd yet, but wonder if I'm on the right track for starters to obtain 1100fps min.

thanks for watching.
    Been loading 6.5 CM for ELD, learning to load Mosin Nagant & .308/7.62x51
    Caster & CWW / Lead miner.
    Mountain Mold 45-70-405, 80% Meplat, sized .461" dia. for Marlin 1895GS
    Lyman mold #429421 "Elmer Keith" style 255gr, Dbl Cavity; [for .44 Mag, S&W 629, Alox lubed]
    Lyman #356402, 9mm, Sngl Cavity [for a friend]
    LEE #90282, 12ga Drive Key, 7/8oz Slug [for: Son's 3-Gun]
    LEE #90349, 452-255RF, 6 Cavity [for 45 Colt & 45 ACP; Alox lubed]
    LEE #90697, 453-200RF, ditto

Boolit Master

The Lee 7/8 slugs are great shooters, as I have posted numerous times. I don't have experience with your powders though. Clays for lighter loads and Longshot for heavies is what works for me. I have achieved 6" groups @ 100 yds from smoothbore. For AA hulls use winchester wads w/16 ga nitro cards under the slug. Trap commander wads fit well in a Federal hull with 1 - 20ga card (all 1/8") then a 16 ga card but they were not the most accurate from smoothbore but ok from rifled gun. You are safe using 7/8 oz suggested loads with your powders.

Boolit Grand Master

Hogtamer:

You are convincing me that I should get that 7/8 oz. Lee slug mould ordered (yeah I know I said I would but haven't). The 7/8 oz. slug is not my favourite being both light weight and basic Foster design (I know the Lees hold up better than standard Fosters but...).

I am getting so wrapped up in my rifled choke tube production I am not getting anything else done.

As for the Walstr question, I can say that Unique is generally a good slug powder though most of my load data is for 1 oz. to 1 1/4 oz. slug. I would make sure that the Bullseye load is exactly as per the manual as Bullseye is very fast powder ~ no substitutions of components.

My Lee 1 oz. slugs do okay in Winchester yellow wads but not in Win AA Reds. The newer style Winchester wads seem to be a pretty good fit for me giving accuracy of around 6" at 50 yards from smoothbore. Generally I get better accuracy to 50 yards using round ball loads but in fairness I have not shot the Lee much and as Hogtamer says, the 7/8 oz. Lee seems to have a better reputation for accuracy than the 1 oz. slug.

I'll be interested to see your results.

Longbow