RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: 9mm load with unique

9mm load with unique

Im trying to use unique in a 9mm load. I was previously loading a lee tl 124gr bullet at 1.095 over 3.6 gr of bullseye but i ran out of BE. I have Unique sitting around and im trying to figure out a charge for this short OAL i'm thinking somewhere between 4.0 to 5.5 but not really sure. Any advice in this matter would be greatly appreciated

Boolit Master
    I load a 124 grain cast boolit with 4.5 grains of Unique. My goal was not to create a fast load, but just what would cycle the slide and work well. These seem to do the trick. I have some issues with leading, but there it is.

exile
    "There is not a single instance in history in which civil liberty was lost, and religious liberty preserved entire. If therefore we yield up our temporal property, we at the same time deliver the conscience into bondage." --John Witherspoon, The Dominion of Providence Over the Passions of Men. 1776

"The words of the Lord are pure words, like silver refined in a furnace on the ground, purified seven times." Psalm 12:6 (E.S.V.)

thats around where all probably be what where u using for your OAL

Boolit Master
    I am using 4.6 gr in both the handgun and the T/C carbine. Good in both

Boolit Master

I use 4.5GR with the Lee TC standard lube groove boolet loaded to 1.080 OAL. It's worked well in just about everything I've tried it in, but the "use at your own risk" applies.

Boolit Master
    i have a 5.25 inch barreled xd in nine mm and if you want to talk about a leading challenge just add another inch. i use max data to get the gun to shoot its best and with a clean barrel i gave it 200 passes of lead removal cloth on a nylon brush and this seemed to modify the surface smooth. now i have no lead problems. oh btw i use the 124 gr tl lee design

Boolit Master
    I've been using a RCBS 124 gr TC bullet that actually weighs 130 gr. with 3.8 gr. of Unique. It's a good practice load with no leading. My CZ 75 has no cycling problems this load. I size to .357.

Boolit Buddy
    Just a general note about Unique - it burns cleaner at higher pressures.
    7.62NATO - because shooting something twice with 5.56NATO is just plain silly.

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot 4.0gr of Unique under an MP-125-HP boolit, which weighs around 127gr with my alloy. No leading problems at around 1050 fps.

thanks for the posts im going to try 4.5gn

I use 4.5gr Unique behind my 126gr cast bullets, it's a Lee microgrove mold. I've shot everything from 4.0gr to 6.5gr, varying oal's ect. 4.5 to 4.6 is about the most accurate I've found with cast bullets. I don't get leading, it's not horribly dirty. lol Not as clean as I'd like. My wife actually likes shooting them.
    Bring the smoke!

Boolit Man
    I use 4.0 gr. of Unique, with a Lee 125 gr. RF. sized to .358. This is the best shooting combo that I have found for my Berreta M9. I also get no leading with this air cooled boolit cast out of range scrap.

Boolit Master
    My favorite 9mm load also uses a TL356-124-2R sized to .358, Winchester brass, a CCI 500 small pistol primer, and 5.2 grains of Hercules/Alliant's Unique.

I use a loaded overall cartridge length of 1.10

I tumble lube it with either Alox, or Recluse's 45-45-10. I prefer the JPW+Alox+Mineral spirits lube, rather than straight Alox, but both will work.

My Unique load seems a bit hotter than a few others, but it works well for me. It burns clean, and it is still within the safe range for Unique in 9mm loads.

I originally used the data from the 1986 Speer/RCBS cast bullet manual #1 at the time when I was working up the load.
    (I have cross referenced & checked in more recent Lyman loading manuals since)

I worked my way up to that load slowly and safely, please do the same. I am still happy with the load today. It does not lead in my guns, and it reliably cycles all of my semi auto 9mm pistols.

- Bullwolf

As best I remember, I was loading about 5 grains with the MP molds 125 grain HP.
    Machinists do it with precision.