RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Titan Reloading

Thread: Leather Lever Wraps.......Done!

Boolit Master

Leather Lever Wraps.......Done!

I ordered two Leather Lever Wraps from Ricochet Roy, http://www.rroldwest.com/.

$20 each, including shipping and the needles and waxed thread to install them.

One for my 1892 Rossi and one for my 1873 Uberti.........

With instructions supplied, I installed both of them within 15 minutes while my wife was picking out a coat to wear to dinner! I kid you not! Nothing could be easier.

Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Definately some of the better looking wraps I have seen.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

Ah the classic baseball stitch, you did good, I need one or two.
    U S Navy Retired. NRA Lifetime Member. NMLA. SASS Member Time magazine Person of the year 2006

Boolit Master

I like that! Let's see, 6 lever actions here. $20 a piece. Man, that adds up!

Boolit Master
    I did my own but mine is just a long leather thong wrapped around the lever and doesn't look anywhere near as good as yours. Got a question if you dont mind. On mine, it feels great when not wearing gloves, but takes up just enough space to be a bit of a close fit wehn I used the rifle with gloves on the other day. If yours the same way, or is mine just too thick? May have to get one like yours if yours doesnt interfere like mine does. I mean, it's not unusable, but it is very noticeable.

I've made about twenty or so lever wraps. I don't take the leather around the back of the loop, though. Mine just cover the area where your knuckles contact the lever.

They're really simple to make, too. You cut a strip of leather the width of the lever and glue that on the inside of the wrap, so you've got two layers of leather exactly where your knuckles hit. When you cut the leather for the wrap, cut it so there is a gap between the two sides you're going to sew together and the stitching will pull it together and make it fit tight. I usually leave a gap about 3/16" wide. The baseball stitch works best for pulling it together, too.

I've made them from deer, elk and moose hides.

One think to remember is that leather stretches more in one direction than it does in another. Pull on the leather and see which way the most stretch is. I sew mine the direction with the least amount of stretch, which pulls it tighter around the lever and won't get loose later on.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance Four Fingers of Death's Avatar
    How do you get your fingers inside the loops with gloves on???? I have trouble with bare hands and lever wraps let alone trying it with gloves on, lol.

They look pretty good.
    Last edited by Four Fingers of Death; 12-30-2011 at 04:03 AM.
    "I'll help you down the trail and proud to!" Rooster Cogburn.

"Slap some bacon on a biscuit and let's go! We're burnin' daylight! " - Will Anderson (John Wayne) "The Cowboys."

SASS Life Member No 82047

http://s89.photobucket.com/albums/k228/4fingermick/

Psycholigist to Sniper; 'What did you feel when you shot the felon Sargeant?'
    Sniper to Psycholigist; 'Recoil Ma'am.'

From my Irish Ancestors: "You've got to do your own growing, no matter how tall your grandfather was."

Boolit Master
    Doesn't the tanning chemicals eventually play havoc with the finish of the lever?

Winelover

Quote Originally Posted by Four Fingers of Death View Post
    How do you get your fingers inside the loops with gloves on???? I have trouble with bare hands and lever wraps let alone trying it with gloves on, lol.

They look pretty good.
    You must be one BIG son of a gun!

Boolit Master
    I've tried to make my own in the past. I could never find the proper leather.

It was either too thick or too thin. Not strong enough and the thread would pull through. I couldn't get the hole spacing really accurate........basically, I had no idea what I was doing!

For $20 you get the proper thick leather, vegetable tanned so there is no issue with the chemicals damaging the lever. You get the proper waxed thread and two appropriate blunt needles.

The leather comes to you the perfect size with the holes punched perfectly.

The only issue I have with ALL leather wraps, is if the leather gets wet, it will hold moisture and this could (will) be an issue to the lever metal.

On my next rifle I'm going to wrap the lever with rubber tape or electrical tape first. This will keep moisture from ever contacting the metal.

For $20.........this whole deal is a no brainer.
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

Prior to installing my lever wraps, I spray the lever liberally with Rust Gardit, which is a heavy waxy rust preventer. None of my levers have ever rusted from having a leather wrap on them.

If you don't have access to a leather supply, I can see where it would be problematic. I've got boxes full of deer, elk and moose hides, plus I scour the scrap bins at the leather store, where you purchase leather by the pound.

I've got all the tools for punching evenly spaced holes, etc. Once you've got the proper materials and equipment, it only takes a few minutes to make one and a few more to install it. If I had charged for all the lever wraps I've done for people, I could have bought another rifle...............

Hope this helps.

Fred

Boolit Master

If you have any worries about moisture, or shoot Blackpowder lever guns like I do and clean them with soapy water, you could always go with a snap-on lever wrap.
    8.00 shipped from www.whyteleatherworks.com Just hit the accessories tab on the first page.
    Last edited by Springfield; 08-08-2012 at 11:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    I've made about twenty or so lever wraps. I don't take the leather around the back of the loop, though. Mine just cover the area where your knuckles contact the lever.

They're really simple to make, too. You cut a strip of leather the width of the lever and glue that on the inside of the wrap, so you've got two layers of leather exactly where your knuckles hit. When you cut the leather for the wrap, cut it so there is a gap between the two sides you're going to sew together and the stitching will pull it together and make it fit tight. I usually leave a gap about 3/16" wide. The baseball stitch works best for pulling it together, too.

I've made them from deer, elk and moose hides.

One think to remember is that leather stretches more in one direction than it does in another. Pull on the leather and see which way the most stretch is. I sew mine the direction with the least amount of stretch, which pulls it tighter around the lever and won't get loose later on.

Hope this helps.
    Fred
    I've done the same thing but with heavy nylon boot lace's.

Boolit Buddy
    I used 550 cord to make a wrap for my Model 94 .357. I am very happy with the results although it does not look as nice.