WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: KIK Powder

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lead pot View Post
    I been sitting behind you enough to see how you shoot sitting using sticks and I must say that I cant do my best with the minimal support of the arms hanging loose in the air. I need to use the support in the sitting position like the Military taught me to be able to hit what I see and use the sticks to support the weight of that heavy barrel.

Lp.
    Fergoshsakes yes! When shooting from the sticks, brace your elbows into your legs. You can lock in nearly benchrest steady. With your arms swinging around, you can't shoot well.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    I sit on my bony old rear end, no stool, left foot over the right, elbows solidly positioned on my knees. I have enough "clicks" from forgeting to cock the hammer to conclude I have pretty well eliminated any flinching.

Once more. What kind of groups are you guys shooting at the longer ranges over the sticks?

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Charlie, the groups I get from the sticks is equal to and sometimes tighter than what I was getting off the bench.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Charlie.

I get a little better off the bench then sitting off the sticks, but not much better.

Prone I get better if I remember to keep the sticks on the barrel dead spot.

I spent time at the Q shooting the 600 yard stop sign when it was clean shooting the .50 sitting and prone. 8 shots prone it looked like I could cover the splatters with my hand sitting maybe two hands. Most of the lead splatters where just about on top of each other but the 3-4 shots spread out the groups but I think I could have covered the outlanders with my fingers.
    But 600 yards looking through the scope is really hard to tell just how close the splatters are.
    But I will say this; placing the barrel on the dead spot makes a difference.

Last Christmas the Kids where here and the subject of the sharps came up while we where playing a game and my Son picked up one of the poker chips and asked me if I could hit this at 100 yards on the second shot, I said maybe I sent him down to my 130 yard target and told him tape it over the X. I got out the .40-70 because I just shot it the other day on that target so I knew the sights were on
    I stuck the fork in the ground and the first shot just nicked the edge of the chip the second shot drove it through the target
    Things just come together at times when you need it.

Boolit Master
    Wow! All right, you guys, that did it. I'm going to switch from shooting to golf. Anyone want to buy a Shiloh cheap?

When I get my camera repaired I'll show you guys a sitting position that is awfully hard to beat! That 'Redneck' Doc over in Mississippi uses it....think his name be Lay!!
    "The South died with Stonewall Jackson!"

I'm sorry Rick, but there is no way I can get into position like the good Doc. can. He uses cross sticks like I use for prone and his elbows are on the ground while in the siting position.

Charlie, before you take my 100$ bill for that wore out ol rifle of yours.... How about you build a set of bench top cross sticks, so you can see if the spot you're resting the barrel on is the culprit? And don't forget the follow thru...

Bench Top Cross Stixs!

Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    Charlie, before you take my 100$ bill for that wore out ol rifle of yours.... How about you build a set of bench top cross sticks, so you can see if the spot you're resting the barrel on is the culprit? And don't forget the follow thru...
    Don

"How about you build a set of bench top cross sticks,"

Eye golly that's something I've always had doubts in my mind about! Now....how in the name of the Good Lord can a set of cross-stixs attached to a bench give the same vibrational node as stixs DRIVEN INTO TERRA FIRMA???
    My Irish analytical mind says it ain't gonna work!!

Pour me another 3 fingers of GROUSE!!

Oh...I've got you and TimberLake some bullets but I haven't had time to get to town this week to mail 'em! Been baby sitting my grandkids, casting bullets, and deer hunting in the mornings!! Tuff life...this retirement!!

You mean its against the rules to take the grandevil to town? Kid must be as much trouble as his granpap

Holysheep!

Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    You mean its against the rules to take the grandevil to town? Kid must be as much trouble as his granpap
    Kids been sick....and betwixt helping Angie with him and her having me do Honey Do jobs, having unexpected company in and out.....it's been a helluva week! Plus...the buck I've been trying to bushwhack has had me in a dither!!

Damn near gone through a bottle of GROUSE this week!!

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.

barrel vibrations

Rick, I will say that while attending the FBI SNIPER SCHOOL we were taught to position the barrel on the same spot because of the harmonics that take place in all barrels.
    While I don't have the experience in BPCR that you and Don have. I will never obtain that at my age. I have tons of Long Range Rifle shooting with smokeless ammo and at long ranges.
    When I first saw that Sage Outfitters was selling sets of bench top cross sticks that very thing entered my mind.
    There would be a completely different set of harmonics when the sticks are placed on a hard non absorbing bench top as those from the same sticks placed in dirt.
    It will take a good physicists to explain the difference in forces.
    The one thing that I retained was that for every force there is a equal and opposite force.
    I'll let you and Don figure this one out. Later David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master
    Don: OK.

Charlie then maybe you can do this with your bench sticks.
    http://s51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...urrent=003.mp4

Boolit Master

Nice pics Don.
    Gun control 1ST ROUND ON TARGET.

Boolit Master

.....ya could just grab a couple potted plants and a short set of cross sticks for your bench setup.

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Boolit Master

It would seem to me that if you found the dead spot on the barrel and placed that on the cross sticks that there would be a minimum to no vibration to distort the shot. At the max point of the barrel whip the 2 different mountings would definitely make a difference.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Thanks 6.5

Sharpsshooter the "bench" I use when shooting from the deck like that is an old metal ironing board. Bugger is a solid as a rock. But there isn't room on it for the potted plants and the regular crossticks, and I built the rail on the deck to high just to rest over it.
    None of my rifles have seemed to care whether it was shooting off of this set up or from the sticks stuck in the ground, the same rest spot seems to be okaydokay....

Boolit Master

Don,

I envy you being able to shoot off your back deck. When I shoot it is a "load up and haul it" routine. It don't take long for that to become a chore.

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SS there's a few months of the year I can't shoot from the deck and have to go out into the pastures that don't have cattle in them during those months.. If that makes you feel any better. lol

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast