Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: KIK Powder

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Hmmm...I do believe the Lot # is 2910!
    Rick, the case of 2010 KIK cans I have, have a lot number of 3910 ... September 3, 2010

And I agree with you ... not to load the rounds way in advance. I've had reloads that were perfectly seated out touching the lands. When I got to the range, instead of thumb pressure they had to be seated with a seater to get them to chamber
    Regards
    John

John Boy

Maybe those didn't come from Powder Inc.! Jerry told me all his stock had the same Lot #!!

???????
    "The South died with Stonewall Jackson!"

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=RMulhern;1525744]cajun shooter

Rick,

Is lot# that critical? Have you found it to change a lot from lot to lot.

Getting ready to try a cse, but don't want to worry about different lots shooting differently, and don't want to screen & sock.

Jon
    Col 2:13-17

Screen & sock?

[QUOTE=Jon K;1526711]
    Quote Originally Posted by RMulhern View Post
    cajun shooter

Rick,

Is lot# that critical? Have you found it to change a lot from lot to lot.

Getting ready to try a cse, but don't want to worry about different lots shooting differently, and don't want to screen & sock.

Jon
    cs

If I have to S&S....I'll quit and take up mumbley-peg! It might make a difference but then again....possibly not much but one never knows if there's going to be any 'kicking and scratching'....until the cats in the bag!!
    "The South died with Stonewall Jackson!"

Boolit Master
    My kik from powder inc is 3910 but I havent shot enough to have an opinion other than it sure aint swiss.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kokomokid View Post
    My kik from powder inc is 3910 but I havent shot enough to have an opinion other than it sure aint swiss.
    Can you expound on that a little?

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master
    We got a few cans of kik with our last order of powder due to cost and reports from some of the top shooters here. It is true BP with lots of fines and dust (sneeze alot when I drop tube it). Volume measure that gives me 71gr 1 1/2 swiss is 66gr kik 2f by weight. But it will drop tube to a smaller volume than the swiss. It shoots ok but Im still trying for the 1moa load with it.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.

Kik

Rick, My powder came from Powder Inc. and it's definitely 3910.
    I called John Boy when I received it and checked the lot number with him and he verified that was the same lot that he had screened and received such great results.
    The powder that John W30WCF tested and had the same great results with were given to him by John Boy so it was also the same 3910 lot.
    If you read John Boy's posting on the screening of the new lot of KIK it will show the same 3910 lot.
    I checked this against other sources and even went and looked at all my powder to make sure it was all the same and it is, Lot 3910 This is not sent to say or prove you wrong in any way as I like and have a great respect for you and what you have done with the BPCR. Take Care David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    The chronograph tests I ran with 2f KIK it came out within 2fps of Goex 2f express, there was no loss in accuracy, and it shoots cleaner than any of the other blackpowders.
    I have not chronographed kik1.5 but it does shoot quite accurately in my 45-70's. It also leaves very little fouling, and a lot of shine in the bore.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    Bob, If I was ordering powder again today it would be the same as when I last ordered. Plenty of kik 2f to test as I think I can get a good load but I could never find the right combo in swiss 1f or swiss 3f so?

Boolit Master
    RMulhern:

I am obliged to you for the warning about changes in the neck tension. I am most pleased that you have provided me with an alibi; it gets wearisome being consistently outscored by Don and his wife both.

Charlie you're lucky you get to go home, I have to look at her trophies whenever I set down at the desk or walk into the room

Boolit Master
    Hope I'm not hijacking someone's thread, but I'd like to ask you guys a couple of questions, since we're all shooting in the same game. My Shiloh will shoot 2" to 2 1/2" groups over the bench. I know that most of the members here can shoot better groups than that, but that's what I can do, and I'm stuck with it. Anyway, what kind of groups do you get over cross sticks? At 100 yrds. the best I can do is about 6 inches for a ten shot group. Today I got out in the country to a friends ranch where I have a 325 yd. range and my group measured l8 inches, which seems consistent with a 6inch 100 yd. group. But this means I'll be throwing bullets somewhere inside of 48" at the Quigley buffalo, unless Mr. Lee lets us set up shooting benches this year. What are you guys doing?

Charlie Ild be willing to bet you're doing something just a bit different off the sticks to make the groups open up like that. Might try a higher or lower stance , more in line with how you sit on the bench. Also are you bringing your knees up so you can rest the elbows, and solidify your rest on the sticks?
    Then there's where are you resting the barrel on the sticks? That can make a big difference.

My first case of 2F KIK I got from Jerry was lot# 3AI/Y/200/04 GB/0877 and it came in a tin can.
    It was a fast powder in the .44 but I could never get it to shoot in the .44 but it got along with the .45-70 pretty good.

Charlie where in the world have you been ?? been getting a little worried from not hearing from you.

Boolit Master
    Kurt: Been spending my time reading the posts from you and Don. Weather has been so good this year I have had time to burn up the last of my Swiss 1 1/2, and just sent off an order for a case of KIK. 74 degrees, sunny and calm today, so I got to shoot at my 325 yd range. I'm getting antsy to get out to the shoots, again. Loaded all my shells already. Look forward to the onl Keystone gang get-together at Alliance.

Boolit Master
    That 18 inch group was shot on the SR42 target which is the 200 yd. target for the sitting postion DCM match. My group, at 300, off the sticks, scored a 77% whiich rates a Marksman badge. I didn't think I did too bad.

Charlie one thing I have to watch myself on, is not tugging down or otherwise pushing the buttstock one way or the other to hard with my gun hand, or riding to hard on it with my cheek and shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by hydraulic View Post
    Hope I'm not hijacking someone's thread, but I'd like to ask you guys a couple of questions, since we're all shooting in the same game. My Shiloh will shoot 2" to 2 1/2" groups over the bench. I know that most of the members here can shoot better groups than that, but that's what I can do, and I'm stuck with it. Anyway, what kind of groups do you get over cross sticks? At 100 yrds. the best I can do is about 6 inches for a ten shot group. Today I got out in the country to a friends ranch where I have a 325 yd. range and my group measured l8 inches, which seems consistent with a 6inch 100 yd. group. But this means I'll be throwing bullets somewhere inside of 48" at the Quigley buffalo, unless Mr. Lee lets us set up shooting benches this year. What are you guys doing?
    Charlie if your eyes are good enough to shoot off the bench 2" and opens up when shooting off sticks it's a control problem more then a load problem.

Pay attention when your shooting especially when you bear down and you just hear the "CLICK" because you forgot to pull the hammer back you will know what your shoulder and muzzle did at that moment and try to correct it.
    I been sitting behind you enough to see how you shoot sitting using sticks and I must say that I cant do my best with the minimal support of the arms hanging loose in the air. I need to use the support in the sitting position like the Military taught me to be able to hit what I see and use the sticks to support the weight of that heavy barrel.

Lp.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast