RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
Repackbox
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: KIK Powder

Boolit Master

KIK Powder

You guys that have been shooting the KIK, are you finding that it likes compression or not? I'm down to my last case of Swiss and thought that I might give KIK a try especially at the price. Just looking for a place to start, maybe save a little trouble.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Boz from what I've used of it, it doesn't really seem to care. You will be amazed at how clean it shoots.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

If you take the Black Powder Cartridge Rifle magazine....go back to the 2006 issues and find the article by Dan Pharis concerning heavy compression of BP! I've found that the KIK powder likes very little compression with PP and a .240" thick lube cookie.
    "The South died with Stonewall Jackson!"

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by RMulhern View Post
    If you take the Black Powder Cartridge Rifle magazine....go back to the 2006 issues and find the article by Dan Pharis concerning heavy compression of BP! I've found that the KIK powder likes very little compression with PP and a .240" thick lube cookie.
    Dan hangs out on American Long Rifles quite a bit, you could ask him if he has any updates. Dan has his poop in a pile, as a rule. One of the first places I stayed in Montana thirty some years ago, was on his family's ranch down at Big Timber.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Don McDowell gave me a pound of 2F out at the Sagebrush shoot last August, and I just got around to loading and shooting it. I have the same situation; I'm on my last pound of Swiss and have to do something soon. I loaded it the same as I did the Swiss: 72 grs. under the RCBS 530 gr. bullet with an oatmeal box wad compressed .250. It shoots to the same point of aim and the same accuracy as Swiss in my .45 2 1/10 and like Don says, I'm surprised at how clean it shoots. I'm going to order a case of it.

Charlie glad it worked for you. See you on or about the 4th of May at the Hoffland range.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Boz, those that have been shooting the 2010 lot of KIK grades of powder have been pleased with it. This includes myself.
    Here's some reading material about the powder:
    http://www.schuetzenpowder.com/forum...hp?topic=106.0
    http://www.schuetzenpowder.com/forum...hp?topic=107.0
    http://www.schuetzenpowder.com/forum...hp?topic=108.0
    Regards
    John

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.

Kik

The Kik Lot #3910 that is being sold by Powder Inc has shown great results as tested by W30wcf also. He posted a string of videos that shows his results with the lever action rifle in 44-40.
    I know this is not a BPCR round or rifle but it does show that this powder is doing well across the board.
    It has been impressive enough for me to purchase this powder. I have loaded ammo but due to health problems have no test work myself to post.
    Thanks for taking time to post your screen test John Boy.Later David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master

Thanks guys that is what I was looking for.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by cajun shooter View Post
    The Kik Lot #3910 that is being sold by Powder Inc has shown great results as tested by W30wcf also. He posted a string of videos that shows his results with the lever action rifle in 44-40.
    I know this is not a BPCR round or rifle but it does show that this powder is doing well across the board.
    It has been impressive enough for me to purchase this powder. I have loaded ammo but due to health problems have no test work myself to post.
    I always considered the 44 WCF a blackpowder cartridge, guess I was misinformed.

Rafe
    If there is nothing in your life worth dying for than you are already dead.

Rafe I'm going to take a WAG here and bet that David was talking about a BPCR round such as for Sillouette, Buffalo gong matches etc.....

Boolit Buddy

OK, I guess I misunderstood what he was trying to say, thanks for the info.

Rafe
    If there is nothing in your life worth dying for than you are already dead.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.

Kik

Don, First I thank you for the stand in and second you are dead on the nail head.
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Lot #!

Quote Originally Posted by cajun shooter View Post
    cajun shooter

Hmmm...I do believe the Lot # is 2910!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

Anytime David. Happy New Year to you.

Boolit Master
    Don: Loaded up the rest of the Swiss and have 250 rounds. Waiting in breathless anticipation for May.

For May??

Quote Originally Posted by hydraulic View Post
    Don: Loaded up the rest of the Swiss and have 250 rounds. Waiting in breathless anticipation for May.
    IMO...it doesn't really pay to load up ammo months prior to a match! The brass will stress relieve itself over that period of time and you'll have inconsistent neck tension big time!

FWIW!!

Rick hush.... We need all the help we can get, to get ahead of that Hydraulic character. That man can shoot and shoot quite well
    Charles we'll look forward to seeing you then.

Neck tension

hydraulic

Note:

Please pay NO ATTENTION to my previous posting!! I don't know what I'm talking about! Been sippin in the FAMOUS GROUSE!!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast