Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Load DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Anyone load for 44 Merwin-Hulbert?

In Remembrance

Anyone load for 44 Merwin-Hulbert?

A friend and I have M-H revolvers in their proprietary 44 M-H cartridge. Seems there is a lot of leeway in dimensions. Some say it is a lengthened 44 S&W American, but numbers still do not match. So what are you using to form/load this elusive cartridge? TIA.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

IIRC, I think I read in "US Cartridges and their Handguns", that the .44 MH is similar to the .44 Colt or .44 Remington. Not having any experience with the .44MH I can only tell you what I read about it.

If you can fit a .44 Special case into the chamber for more than half it's length you might be able to use the .44 Russian or the newer made .44 Colt cases in it.
    Listen! Do you hear it. The roar of cannons, the screams of the dying! Ahh! Music to my ears!

Boolit Man
    Depends on which vintage M&H you have. While they all will accept a 44-40 case, there is a difference in bullet diameters between 44 Winchester and 44-40.
    I have a pair. One will accept 44-40 but the other earlier one (44 winchester) needs the bullets swaged down a few thousanths. bought a bullet swaging die from Lee
    I assume you initialy tried a loaded round in the cylinder and found it would only go in half way.

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by bydand View Post
    Depends on which vintage M&H you have. While they all will accept a 44-40 case, there is a difference in bullet diameters between 44 Winchester and 44-40.
    I have a pair. One will accept 44-40 but the other earlier one (44 winchester) needs the bullets swaged down a few thousanths. bought a bullet swaging die from Lee
    I assume you initialy tried a loaded round in the cylinder and found it would only go in half way.
    I misspoke; mine IS a 44-40 caliber and chambers them just fine. My friend's is the proprietary 44 Merwin-Hulbert. Is this what you are referring to when you say 44 Winchester? He is going to make a chamber cast of the cylinder so we will have something positive to compare to. Unfortunately, he is 1200 miles away!
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

.44 Winchester in M-H

Quote Originally Posted by mazo kid View Post
    I misspoke; mine IS a 44-40 caliber and chambers them just fine. My friend's is the proprietary 44 Merwin-Hulbert. Is this what you are referring to when you say 44 Winchester? He is going to make a chamber cast of the cylinder so we will have something positive to compare to. Unfortunately, he is 1200 miles away!
    Merwin-Hulbert would mark their revolvers that were chambered for the .44-40, a.k.a. .44 Winchester Central Fire (WCF) as .44 Winchester. Do not know why, never found out that bit of information, and the only reason I know this, is I read it in Mike Ventorino's book "Shooting Six Guns of the Old West". Enjoy your treasures.
    Listen! Do you hear it. The roar of cannons, the screams of the dying! Ahh! Music to my ears!