Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Load Data

Thread: Cross referrence question

Boolit Master

Cross referrence question

In the excellent book, "From Ingot to Target, A Cast Bullet Guide for Handgunners," by Glen Fryxell & Robert Applegate they mention a grease for mixing their lube. It is "Sta-Lube Extreme Pressure Moly-Graph Multi-purpose."
    Well, I've looked in a few auto parts houses, and no one seems to know of it.
    Is there a brand name or something I can look for to get this grease? I want to try it. Or is there another brand etc that is like this formula? I see stuff from Valvoline, Mobile, store brands etc. Just not this stuff. I found a moly based grease, but it wasn't high pressure, and didn't have graphite. Any & all help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by contender1; 12-28-2011 at 10:48 AM. Reason: adding more to my question.

Boolit Grand Master

I did a Google and got this.

Sta-Lube Moly Graphite High Pressure

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

One of my ideas on lube making is to make small lots and test them, so if the lube fails, I wouldn't be out much in materials or time. I'd try the grease you found, the moly based, and try it out. Make a small batch, lube up some bullets and try it. Part of the fun of bullet casting...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master
    I use the Sta-Lube Moly-Graph grease and bee's wax formula and it works really well for me on large groove boolits. However, I ONLY use it on large groove boolits.

Boolit Master
    Thanks cbrick. At least I now know it what it looks like. I'll keep looking at other places. That link on amazon shows that the grease costs less than the shipping.

The local NAPA stores carry it here.

jim

NAPA or WALMART

that is a lithium complex grease with 3% moly. As far as interchangable other than perhaps base oil viscosity used in the grease about ANY lithium/moly grease should work the same.

There are other moly greases on the market. For example, I have some from Valvoline that seems to work about the same. I don't think the graphite is important. You want a lithium-based grease that has a few percent molybdenum disulphide in it. I like the Sta Lube version because it works so well, because I can find it everywhere around here, and because I found a clearance sale a couple of years ago and am now set for life as far as lube goes.
    Glen