MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad DataLee Precision
WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Repackbox

Thread: Need suggestions for making a nose only sizer

Boolit Master

Need suggestions for making a nose only sizer

I'm looking for any suggestions to reduce the trial and error time on making a nose only sizer die. I have made most of the dies for my lube/sizer, but never a nose only sizing die. I need to size down the first 2 driving bands of a Loverin type bullet .002" (sort of making a bore riding nose) so I can seat it without the gas check being below the case neck. My big concern is getting the bullet lined up as it goes in the sizer, so the two sized bands doesn't come out lop-sided. Will a slight taper at the entrance be enough keep the bullet lined up? Also, is it better to make the die to use in the loading press or is it better to use the lube/sizer? I remember a couple of past threads about making nose sizer dies, but the search function seemed to give me everything about bullet sizing except what I was looking for. Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks

I would make the nose-sizer in two parallel steps with a short taper between. I would then size & lube in a standard die before running the boolit through the step-die.The larger size in the step-die should be no more than .0005 larger than the lube & size die. Of course the die should be made in one setup to guarantee the steps would be absolutely concentric.
    Cap'n Morgan

Banned

Cap'n describes the best way.

I've done the first two bands on a taper many times just going nose first into a tapered Lyman die, in fact this is how I size all my Cruise Missiles to fit the throat of my Swedish Mausers, just run them in the die and use s short rod as a stop so they're all the same. Use a flat "nose" punch with a dab of grease on it and let the boolit find it's own way straight into the sizer. More than likely the ram doesn't line up with the sizer bore anyway.

I used a Lee Carbide .44 Magnum resizing die to clean up the noses on the Lymam 459-505 round nose boolit so it would ride the bore better. You can get pretty creative if you don't have a lathe.

Gear

check with smokem joe , he has made several and can fill you in on the process

TTC
    NRA life member (benefactor)

I was going to make a .299-300 sizing die for the noses on my .314-299 lyman boolits that come out .302 and .312.

I planned on shoving the boolit into the .300 die which would be about .250 long down to the driving bands,,,and then putting the gas check on and shoving it back down into the .310 sizing die in the Lyman 450 on the return stroke, using the Lyman nose punch so it doesn't goon the nose of the boolit..

This particular boolit is so long that it doesn't go that far into the .310 sizing die, so it should be free of the nose sizer when the stroke is complete.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com