MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
Load Data Repackbox
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: The perfect cartridge case for cast bullets is ...

Boolit Master
    I'm gonna think about it a while, I don't cut up milsurps, even if they're thrashed. My Ishy looks a little homely,(black stove paint?) but has a good clean barrel and I like the sights. Went on a binge years ago and bought every SMLE I ran across, it seemed like. Got a few to play with. I did find a barreled action, No 1 Mk 3, that after days of cleaning revealed a nice sharp bore. I was going to rebarrel with a .444, but now I don't know. Hate to pull a good barrel. I have so many projects going at once it seems nothing gets done. Doc was also reccommending the PP in the Ishy, a while back. I just need to see it done once, that's how I learn. It sounds like just what I need, as I want velocity for flatter shooting at distance. Suppose there's a utube video on paper patching?

Banned

i'd forgotten about this thread.
    even though iv'e had some of the concepts stored in the back of my head.
    my line of thought has been along the 35 cal line though with a 15 twist and a 200 gr boolit.
    i have had extremely good results with the 358 win.
    but there is always the though of faster, more, easier, and results down range.
    i would imagine that ones thoughts are gonna be geared to his/her intended use.
    oh yeah, the case.
    0-6 sized down in a 358 x 59 case size,with the longer neck, minimum case taper and 30* shoulder.
    about 55 grs of a slower powder like rl-19 or 22 should generate a good bit of velocity.
    yeah like a mini whelen.
    a boolit with a slightly shortened ranch dog type nose.and the body of the boolit like the saeco 248, with a beveled front driving band.
    it should be accurate and effective on game up through elk.
    and should fit/feed in a standard mauser action.
    just my thoughts on it.

I have so many projects going at once it seems nothing gets done.
    Sounds like me!

The great thing about paper patching is one doesn't need to modify the gun - just the boolit! (And one can roll the patches on while chatting on Cast Boolits! That's where dry patching has an advantage and that's what I would suggest as a starting point).

You would notice I did not nominate the 303 Brit as an ideal or perfect cast boolit case. That's because I don't think it is. The 30-30 beats it hands down and so does the 30-40 Krag, I should think. But the Lee Enfield is not a bad platform for the ideal CB cartridge. It's better than many folks would imagine. Remove the magazine guts and it drops the spent case straight down into it making it a single shot with spent case recepticle!
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Buddy
    The perfect cartridge for cast boolits?

Well, I think that having no need for any sort of shell, primer, or powder is as good as it gets, so my vote goes to bigbore airguns as being perfect for cast boolits.

Boolit Master
    Doesn't count, not a cartridge. Still, airguns are interesting. I'm doing an ongoing cleaning of my "room", it's been years. Ran across my old Sheridan .20 and a Crossman .17 that I aint shot in a coon's age. Went out to the garage and shot a hole in the wall!

Boolit Master
    BUMP!!!
    I just read this thread, very interesting.
    Has anyone accomplished the long neck .308? or any other of these ideal cases mentioned?

Boolit Master

Resurecting an OLD thread.
    This was Molly's and I sure do miss his by line.
    He stimulated more thought and good info than 50 noobies could.
    RIP Molly

Pepe Ray
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

Boolit Master
    I too saw this thread for the first time today.
    What a great discussion, and my brain has been cooking something like
    runfiverrun mention above, but with a rimmed cartridge for single shot use-
    .307Win typed necked to 358 with a longer neck

Boolit Master
    Well what are the common denominator for a really good cast boolit cartridge?
    Small case capacity compared to its bore,
    rimless for easy feeding,
    long neck for good boolit seating,
    Caliber size for commonly available molds.

back in this thread it was proposed a long neck .308 from 57mm mauser brass.
    what about taking .308 brass and running it thru .300 Savage die.?
    Wouldn't that give you a small capacity, long neck, rimless 30 cal?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by kens View Post
    Well what are the common denominator for a really good cast boolit cartridge?
    Small case capacity compared to its bore,
    rimless for easy feeding,
    long neck for good boolit seating,

Caliber size for commonly available molds.

back in this thread it was proposed a long neck .308 from 57mm mauser brass.
    what about taking .308 brass and running it thru .300 Savage die.?
    Wouldn't that give you a small capacity, long neck, rimless 30 cal?
    Was a pile of these wildcats around back in the early 90,s. It was called 30HBR, and was used alot in hunter br matches....

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    May I suggest going back to page one, post number one? The running conversation between Molly, Felix, and the other assorted characters is one to make you smile.

A couple of years ago I had a conversation with Jim whereby I laid out my thoughts on a long necked 8mm Mauser, to be made by running 30-06 brass in an 8x57 FL die and leaving the neck long enough to facilitate loading Boolits like the 8mm Maximum properly without having the gas check below the neck. It seemed like an excellent way to keep the boolit aligned with the bore too.

After that phone conversation I kept the thought pretty much to myself, and it saddens me that I did, as both Molly and Felix would have been around to laugh and send me toddling off to find this thread and the others like it.

Honestly, Im just glad to have been thinking along the same lines,,,,,,,,come to find out reading this thread that my idea for a long neck BR case is nothing new either!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ast-bullets-is

And after you reread to this point:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-308-Long-Neck

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/forum...66&forum_id=63

VERY interesting stuff,,,
    Last edited by Hamish; 08-20-2014 at 12:20 AM.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

I wish that some GURU would investigate the possibility of collecting all of Molly's posts under one cover.
    I'd lay out $20 for one, maybe more.
    Pepe Ray
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin Junky View Post
    Molly,

I wasn't aware Lee had anything like that. Please provide a link to Lee's description of this die. Is it a special order item?

Thanks,
    MJ

Just found this thread so a little late on the reply.

the reason that I (saw posted on some other forum several years ago) was that the patent for the Lee target model somehow stayed with Lee Engineering during the changeover. I can't see how that would happen unless the change over was a result of an internal family squabble. I have no idea what happened. the target models show up on E Bay once in a while but are pricy.
    The man who invented the plow was not bored. He was hungry.