WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackbox
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication

Thread: A few Q on the Marlin CBs

Boolit Master

A few Q on the Marlin CBs

I am finalizing a deal on a Marlin CB in 45-70 and already I am planning on what accessories to get for it. I plan on hunting with it, but for fun I would like to try shoot at rocks and gongs “way out there.”

I have no intention of scoping this rifle, so could someone recommend a rear sight with plenty of vertical elevation for the longer range shots?

What about those flip-up "ladder" sights. Good/Bad?

I am not opposed to single loading rounds with longer "pointy" boolits at the range, so just how far can one shoot accurately with a Marlin CB?
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Boolit Buddy

I had a Marbles tang sight installed on my Marlin 336 .38-55 a few years back; with my handloads and a Redding competion seater die, it is the most accurate 100 yard rifle I have.

Boolit Buddy
    Once you get a good tang sight on your rifle (MVA makes good ones) and learn the "drop' for your loads it will shoot way farther than you can hold it for! And I'm talking to around 1,000 yards.

T-o-m

Check out the Hoke sight. There are 3 different heights and the Long range model will get you past 1000 with your 95. Elevation is important but so is windage and a little wind requires lots of windage at longer ranges. The Hoke has, I think, 40 minutes left and right. Shooting here in North Dakota and Montana I have almost used all of those 40 minutes with my outfit.

Boolit Bub
    Tang sights and full house loads can be a bloody event!!!!!!! The recoil on full house loads WILL
    cut you up if you hold on to the wrist of the stock very securely....This is why Brockman, Wild West guns, the guy in my state have all gone to the tool up of sights that utilize existing holes
    on the top of the receiver as this frees up the wrist of the stock and you still have a fully adjustable sight.......Put a MVA sight on a 95 with rip roaring loads......you'll see real quick what I'm trying to say..........Skinner is the guy in I belive Polson, Mt or Ronan that makes a clean looking leaver gun sight................

Boolit Master
    The first 1895CB I had got a Lyman tang sight about 4 weeks after I got it !

While the Lyman has no windage adjustment at the time the $65 for that one was a deal I thought . And it wasn't that difficult to make slight windage adjustments by drifting the front sight !

Did the same thing on a pair of 336CB's in 30-30 and 38-55 as well as an 1894CB in 357 MAG and 44 MAG and finally a Marlin 1894CCL in 32-20 !

The Marbles woulda been better with the windage adjustments but since I had a "few" I decided to go with the Lyman's !
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Boolit Master
    MVA & Baldwin get my vote.....

Jon
    Col 2:13-17

Well, "way out there" and "long range" are relative terms and cause me to ask, "just what distances will you be shooting?"

The leaf sights are good to about 200-300 yards in my experience. A marbles tang sight will also get you to 300 yards, but with more precision than the leaf sights allow. To get out to 500 meters (the rams) and beyond, you will require a vernier with more elevation than the Marbles offers.

I chose an MVA vernier and it works great. It does clutter up the rifle, however. I don't think it would be a good set-up for the field because of its high profile and complications.

So, in broad strokes: leaf to 300, marbles to 400ish, vernier to 1K.
    That I could be wrong is an eventuality that has not escaped me. I just painted the pictures as I saw them. I do not know how to do anything else. (Saint Elmer, 1955)

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys for all the comments, the rifle is now in my hands, and I will be ordering a more sophisticated rear sight for it.

Boolit Master

Recoil Pad?

Could someone please recommend a screw on recoil pad that will help tame the recoil? Adding a little length would actually be a good thing for me so I would prefer one that can be installed without trimming the stock.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ilwil View Post
    I had a Marbles tang sight installed on my Marlin 336 .38-55 a few years back; with my handloads and a Redding competion seater die, it is the most accurate 100 yard rifle I have.
    Mine is a Winchester but I really like these tang sights and Marbles are really well made..
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford