MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
WidenersLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Handgun Hunters Check In Please

Boolit Grand Master

Gives a silly-accurate little clover leaf one hole performance at 50 yards
    Gives a silly dust cloud from the ground when fired
    Gives an impulse pressure and noise level which clears nearby range benches with one shot (muzzle brake under a low tin roof will rattle your fillings!!) -pls1911

My Contender in 35 Rem (w/ muzzle brake) does all of the above but I can't fire more than three shots for group testing. Last time out with hunting loads it fired two fine 100 yd groups, "big" one was .80".
    Always wanted to fire a Contender in 45-70. There was a discussion with a couple of friends awhile back about co-op 'ing a barrel. We all have Contenders and load for the 45-70 but none of us see the need to own a 45-70 Contender bbl.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Its nice to see so many handgun hunters out there.When I first started handgun hunting I carried a rifle and a 44 mag. I thought if I was going to be true handgun hunter I was going to have to get rid of my rifle. Havent hunted with a rifle in about 10 yrs, killed two nice 8 pointers and several does with my 44 mag super redhawk. I dont think I will ever go back its much more satistifing when make a kill with a revolver, with hand cast bullets at 40 to 50 yds than it ever was with a rifle. You as a handgun hunter just have to except the limitations of a revolver and you wont go back.
    Judan

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TXGunNut View Post
    Always wanted to fire a Contender in 45-70. There was a discussion with a couple of friends awhile back about co-op 'ing a barrel. We all have Contenders and load for the 45-70 but none of us see the need to own a 45-70 Contender bbl.
    The .45-70 in a handgun is a show piece. The excessive case volume is even more of a problem (unless you love muzzle flash).

Get yorself an Encore 12" .454 Casull, it will match the .45-70 ballistics. You can run .457 bullet through a Lee .454 sizer and you won't have to buy molds.
    I load mine with the 457122. Great for white tails.
    Best,
    Mike

NRA Life Member
    Remember Ira Hayes

Boolit Mold
    Handgun hunter here but new to casting so I don't have any CB deer loads yet but hoping to change that for next season. The closest I hunted with this season was 357 Max in a Contender carbine with a Lyman 358429 but never had a shot at any deer with it.

For next season I'm thinking about using that bullet (or something heavier) in a 357 Herrett. Also have a 375 JDJ that I'd like to get the Accurate 38-265D mold and see what kinda damage I can do with it.

Boolit Grand Master

Get yorself an Encore 12" .454 Casull, it will match the .45-70 ballistics. You can run .457 bullet through a Lee .454 sizer and you won't have to buy molds.-Shooter

I like that idea! Wonder if anyone still has a Contender barrel in .454? I don't have an Encore frame.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Bub
    Late to check in here, but I like to hunt with my S&W Mod 19, 6" barrel. I've shot some grouse with it (forest grouse legal without a shotgun here) and I'd like to get a deer with it, but haven't yet. Feels good to have it in my shoulder holster when I'm fly fishing in bear and moose country.

Boolit Master

Get yorself an Encore 12" .454 Casull, it will match the .45-70 ballistics. You can run .457 bullet through a Lee .454 sizer and you won't have to buy molds.-Shooter

I like that idea! Wonder if anyone still has a Contender barrel in .454? I don't have an Encore frame.
    The Contender will not take the .454 pressures, Encore only.
    Best,
    Mike

NRA Life Member
    Remember Ira Hayes

For deer 30 Herrett and 7-30 gets the nod.I cast for the 7mm's ,but not for hunting . Where can you get a 7mm Hunter mold . Those look like they would put a hurtn' on a whitetail- cast out of AC WW's . I don't know how 130 soupcans would do.
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Boolit Mold
    Where can you get a 7mm Hunter mold
    In the group buy forum there's a 7mm hunter going on right now

Boolit Buddy

Too bad about the 480, sounds like an excellent performer. I'm betting the 454 will serve you well. Wouldn't mind having one of those myself. What barrel length do you have? Optics?
    7.5" with standard sights thus far. Considering some form of optics since my eyes ain't what they use to be.

David

Boolit Grand Master

See if you can find an aperture adapter for your rear sight. One Ragged Hole used to make them but I hear they're not being maufactured these days. Pretty simple design, if you can't find one I'm sure someone will start making them again soon.

Boolit Buddy
    I've been hunting with the same Dan Wesson 744VH8 for so long I've lost count. This revolver has been a constant companion in the woods for close to 20 yrs. I scoped it quite a few yrs ago. Best game shot so far was a groundhog @ a ranged 114yds. Everybody gets lucky now and again!
    GO WVU MOUNTAINEERS!--Hey, our mascot carries a muzzleloader.
    ---------------------------------
    Professional Critter Chaser
    ---------------------------------
    I love wildlife, it tastes great!

I've successfully used my .357 mag on deer with an RCBS .38-158 SWC. Mixed bag small game and grouse wile walking the trails I use a .32 S&W long with an RCBS .32-98 SWC. And my Ruger Mk II target for rabbit and squirrel when I need the challenge more than the meat.

Nora
    If you don't have the time to do it right, when are you going to find the time to fix it?

Go ahead and laugh at me if you like. My handgun of choice is my Kimber 1911 5" TLE for shots 50 yards or less.
    There are two theories to arguing with a woman .. . Neither works.

Women always say that giving birth is way more painful than a guy getting kicked in the nuts.There is no way to prove that they are wrong.

But a year or so after giving birth a woman will often say "It would be nice to have another child".

You never hear a guy say, "It would be nice to get kicked in the nuts again".

Boolit Grand Master

Not laughing. I've finished off a wounded hog and a wounded badger with a well-placed shot from a trusty .45. Black Talon J-bullets didn't do very well on the hog (long, embarassing story) but a po'd badger succombed to the same round between the eyes @ 20 ft. Mine are not capable of what I consider hunting accuracy but sometimes they come along and are pressed into service.

I've used Handguns for hunting since I bought my Rugar single Six in 1968. I did a lot of trapping back then and carried it as a trapline gun. I also night hunted and it's shot several raccoons. Since then I've used 357, 44 mag, 222, 223 ,7TCU, 45 colt/410 and 22 hornet. I have started my Grandsons shooting also. I carried a Contender with the 45/410 barrel rabbit hunting a lot this year. Deer hunt with the 44 mag. Luv to hunt with handguns. I do use a lot of cast Boollits in these.

Boolit Master
    I hunt with handguns almost exclusively nowadays. I have used .44 mags, .45 Colts, .454 Casulls, .460 S&W, .480 Ruger, .475 Linebaugh, .500 JRH, .500 Linebaugh, on deer, hogs (LOTS of hogs), moose, and black bear.
    Semper Fidelis

Boolit Buddy
    Depends on the range I use eather my Contender or Encore for up close it will be my SBH loaded with a 240 grn cast booltie.

Boolit Mold
    i got my 1st deer this year (2011 season) with my new colt 1911. the pistol was 4 days old at the time.

i have shot some squirrels and rockchucks with a .22 years back......

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie gunks View Post
    i got my 1st deer this year (2011 season) with my new colt 1911. the pistol was 4 days old at the time.
    That is very cool. I've taken hundreds of deer with my .44's, but have never yet taken out any of my .45's to hunt deer. My only .45 kill was shooting the head off a ruffed grouse a few years back.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast