Snyders JerkyRepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: Am I missing out on something???

Boolit Buddy

Am I missing out on something???

I have only ever used a Star sizer (for about 8 years)- I have never even used a Lyman or RCBS. Actually I have never seen a Lyman or RCBS in person. I'm going to get another sizer and I was just going to get a Star. But do Lymans or RCBS have something over the Star? For speed I dont see anything being faster then a Star. I do have a few bevel base boolits and thats no problem with a Star. And I have never had problems with seating gas checks. But it seems alot people are using Lymans or RCBS so it made me wonder. Is it just the cost difference?

Bardo

Boolit Buddy
    I would say it is a cost thing, I have only seen one Star sizer if they were more common in this part of the world I would have one, I use an RCBS I did have a Lyman
    but much prefer the RCBS it has a better nut holding the die in place and the linkage is more robust, Robert.

Pointy tips on some rifle rounds can bend or blunt the tip on the Star
    I seem to have better luck with gas checks on the RCBS then with my Star
    And of course price is often a big factor.
    Last edited by Daddyfixit; 01-05-2012 at 08:03 PM.

Boolit Master

I like Rcbs I own 2 lymans Will never buy anything lyman ever again. The only thing i can say about lyman is junk it will end up costing you as much as a star. Get the Star and you will save money in the long run.

I replaced my Lyman with a Star. Using Lyman and probably RCBS will leave bullet lube at the bevel base. I don't have pointed molds but Daddyfixit is probably correct in stating pointed bullets may not fare well in a Star. I use LSS BAC ( a great product) lube on my bullets. I didn't need heat to operate the Lyman with BAC. I do need some heat to use that lube in the Star. My frustration with the Lyman resulted from the poor machining of the 4500 sizer. Things didn't line up as they were supposed to. I must admit the Star does seem a little particular. I am worked those things out after some time. The question is are you planning to use pointed bullets? If not there are several Star sizers on eBay today. I ended up buying a new one from Magma Engineering. The bullet lube website is, http://www.lsstuff.com/lube/.

Boolit Master
    Stay with the Star, you are not missing anything by not having a Lyman or RCBS, they can do nothing that a Star cannot do better and faster.
    Paul G.
    Once I was young, now I am old and in between went by way to fast.

The end move in politics is always to pick up a gun.
    -- R. Buckminster Fuller

Boolit Master
    No, you aren't missing anything. I have Lyman 4500 because I can afford them. Your Star is probably a lot better.
    In all, the .41 Magnum would be one of my top choices for an all-around handgun if I were allowed to have only one. - Bart Skelton

Boolit Buddy
    I think I will stick with the Star then. Then I dont have to have dies for both machines and top punches for the RCBS.

Bardo